Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I could have killed you...

Options
  • 08-11-2019 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Open message to the biker on a GS who blew past me on a roundabout earlier.

If I hadn't slowed down because I saw you weren't slowing down there could have been a serious accident and you'd probably be dead.

I was driving my cage at the time and we all know how cage vs bike fights usually go, the cage normally wins.

As a biker I try to hold myself to a higher standard than other road users, even when I'm not driving my bike. The person in question was not wearing any high-vis or luminous clothing of any type, in fact the clothing appeared to be dark if anything and the first thing I saw was the brightly coloured helmet you were wearing. I saw you but other road users may not so it might be worth investing in some high visability clothing.

I don't normally post this stuff but the fact that if I'd hit you, you'd be dead right now and I'd probably be arrested and have your death on my concience, not only that but what about your family, do you have a son, a daughter, wife, parents, what would they think?

I know blasting around on a bike can be fun, and their a logical solution to traffic congestion, but please, if you are going to use your bike be switched on and aware of your surroundings, because its not only you that will suffer, I will too, and I don't want that.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    I saw you but other road users may not so it might be worth investing in some high visability clothing.

One of my observations during the 26 years I've been motorcycling is that hi-viz clothing doesn't magically make a motorcyclist visible.

Another observation is if I wrote an angry internet comment for all the sh1t riding and close shaves I've encountered as a result of another road user's stupidity, I wouldn't have time for anything.

Let it go and get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

macplaxton wrote: »
    One of my observations during the 26 years I've been motorcycling is that hi-viz clothing doesn't magically make a motorcyclist visible.

Another observation is if I wrote an angry internet comment for all the sh1t riding and close shaves I've encountered as a result of another road user's stupidity, I wouldn't have time for anything.

.. And if someone posted everytime they almost killed me this would be the busiest forum on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

As above, we feel your frustration and concern but there's idiots out there, just because we're all " mates with bikes" doesn't account for much...i nearly tailended a dope (fj i think) in ballsbridge who was riding like a taxi driver with no regard for me or himself...I felt like kicking him off the fcuking thing....only I was on the bike and probably would have ended up on my asre with him...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Hey OP if you can give an as detailed as possible description from your POV of what happened (especially given that you are a biker yourself) then maybe people can learn from it.
    A very wise m/c instructor friend of mine used to say take advantange of learning from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

macplaxton wrote: »

I think you may be a bit harsh with the OP.
    I didn't read any anger into his tone.
    Just concern for the guy on the GS.
    I also think he was correct to post his experience as it gets the rest of us to realize how vulnerable we are on two wheels regardless of how much experience we have.

• Advertisement

Zebbedee wrote: »
    I think you may be a bit harsh with the OP.
    I didn't read any anger into his tone.
    Just concern for the guy on the GS.
    I also think he was correct to post his experience as it gets the rest of us to realize how vulnerable we are on two wheels regardless of how much experience we have.
    Mr. Tezza wrote: »
    Open message to the biker on a GS who blew past me on a roundabout earlier.

If I hadn't slowed down because I saw you weren't slowing down there could have been a serious accident and you'd probably be dead.

I was driving my cage at the time and we all know how cage vs bike fights usually go, the cage normally wins.

As a biker I try to hold myself to a higher standard than other road users, even when I'm not driving my bike. The person in question was not wearing any high-vis or luminous clothing of any type, in fact the clothing appeared to be dark if anything and the first thing I saw was the brightly coloured helmet you were wearing. I saw you but other road users may not so it might be worth investing in some high visability clothing.

I don't normally post this stuff but the fact that if I'd hit you, you'd be dead right now and I'd probably be arrested and have your death on my concience, not only that but what about your family, do you have a son, a daughter, wife, parents, what would they think?

I know blasting around on a bike can be fun, and their a logical solution to traffic congestion, but please, if you are going to use your bike be switched on and aware of your surroundings, because its not only you that will suffer, I will too, and I don't want that.

I think we all know how vulnerable we are out there..his tone was understandably angry..he was still fuming probably and as he said, more about the possible consequences than what actually happened..we've all been there, What if, if only etc....I never have or woluld wear anything hi-viz,or a camera, i'd rather ride to my own abilities and observations...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I think we all know how vulnerable we are out there.

This is exactly the point.... Not everyone realises how much danger they are putting themselves or others into, yes... Most bikers will realise how dangerous driving on Irish roads can be ...but .... Some bikers don't see the danger.

This is exactly the point.... Not everyone realises how much danger they are putting themselves or others into, yes... Most bikers will realise how dangerous driving on Irish roads can be ...but .... Some bikers don't see the danger.

Ego is a terrible mistress...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I can relate when I was doing my IBT during the summer I was going along the road at 100k and some Yahoo ripped past me at at least 140k and nearly sent me flying there was literally inches between us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Ego is a terrible mistress...
    I never have or woluld wear anything hi-viz,or a camera, i'd rather ride to my own abilities and observations...;)

Isn't it :-P

• Advertisement

Your point..?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,319 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Plenty of people in cars nearly killed me when I was doing nothing wrong.
    Wasn't going to mention it only for the subject was brought up.

Actually thinking about it,had to speed up and break the speed limit a few times to save myself.
    So this speeding crack, isn't all bad.

blade1 wrote: »
    Plenty of people in cars nearly killed me when I was doing nothing wrong.
    Wasn't going to mention it only for the subject was brought up.

Actually thinking about it,had to speed up and break the speed limit a few times to save myself.
    So this speeding crack, isn't all bad.

Put that lid back on that can quick.....:D

Put that lid back on that can quick.....:D

Father time is putting it on for me :( :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I stopped reading at 'cage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah I've no cages in my garden. Just a car and a van

Couldnt help meself...i needed to see where it was going.....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

Those bloody "GS Riders"

oops wrong forum :p

listermint wrote: »
    Yeah I've no cages in my garden. Just a car and a van

Well two cars here.

My dogs have/had cages but they wouldn't use them so I gave them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Sorry, late to the thread.

What the holy f*cking sweet baby jesus is going on here !! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

D3V!L wrote: »

GET BACK IN YOUR CAGE :pac:

D3V!L wrote: »

Basically, guy nearly (but doesnt) kill a rider....now we're discussing "doggy cage fighting"........:P

Basically, guy nearly (but doesnt) kill a rider....now we're discussing "doggy cage fighting"........:P

Cage fighting is dangerous, the OP is right to warn us about it.

And here's a vid of Cage fighting :D

Advertisement