Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donadea 50k 2020

• 08-11-2019 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

It looks like there are a few on Boards who are doing this in February. I signed up a while ago and this will be my first 50k and really looking forward to it.

What sort of plans are people doing to get ready for it?

I Have just done DCM and was just going to continue with mid week stuff and increase the weekend mileage at a easy pace.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

50k newbie here too. Plenty of marathons, but haven't stepped a metre beyond 42k.

Training for me is regular marathon training, but stretching the longer runs out a bit. Maybe try and get out to 23-24 mile long run.

Not bothering with speed or tempo work - maybe I'm wrong on this. Slow and steady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm doing it. Haven't decided on a plan yet but it will be 12 weeks from Nov 18th,

Last time (2017) I modified P&D with some longer back-to-backs at the weekend. Not sure that's necessary now, tbh. Might do something based on Matt Fitzgerald's 80/20 marathon schedule. Open to suggestions of course.

Was signed up last year also but hadn't trained so only showed up for a few laps. It's an excellent event. Good luck to all who are in the mix for 2020.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Peckham wrote: »
    50k newbie here too. Plenty of marathons, but haven't stepped a metre beyond 42k.

Training for me is regular marathon training, but stretching the longer runs out a bit. Maybe try and get out to 23-24 mile long run.

Not bothering with speed or tempo work - maybe I'm wrong on this. Slow and steady.

Regular marathon training with no speed or tempo work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I'm doing this, looking forward to it. Just trying to work out how to fit it into my plan for Manchester with a mini taper, but I won't be "racing" it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Plenty of marathons, but haven't stepped a metre beyond 42k.

Were those marathons in Waterford?

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote:
    Were those marathons in Waterford?

No. Why?

Regular marathon training with no speed or tempo work?

As in following the mileage of a marathon training plan, but not doing the speedwork parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

No. Why?

Usually measures short.
    Maybe I should have added a smiley.... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭ToriV

Hi

Im hoping to get down to the forest over the next few weeks for a reccy. Is it the Alymer Walk route that is used? I had a look on the website and that the only one that looked 5k ish?

Thanks!

I haven't run it yet, but this was posted in last year's thread:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/118322861

• Advertisement

Fantastic thanks for that! Much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭glennhysen

Great race, I'll be running it for the 4th time (2012, 2013 & 2017) next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It’s mostly Aylmer Walk alright but takes a short cut back to the start. Upload the route to your watch if you can (if watch has that feature). There’s a few spots where you can miss turns and end up at dead ends or just lost. Happened to me anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Can't believe it's creeping up so fast... Would love a snoop at people's training plans as I'm a bit clueless. Just completed first marathon DCM this year so anything beyond is unchartered territory for me!

Getting the mileage done during December is tough going! Far too many other things going on.

Have done spring marathons previously, but never as early as the start of February.

Murph_D wrote: »
    It’s mostly Aylmer Walk alright but takes a short cut back to the start. Upload the route to your watch if you can (if watch has that feature). There’s a few spots where you can miss turns and end up at dead ends or just lost. Happened to me anyway!

I had the same experience last week. I could figure out if I went up by the 9-11 memorial, or take the route back around the front and got a few dead ends too. I usually love running on this kind of track and it's a lovely spot, but for some reason I found it really long and hard going. Maybe I was just having a bad day. Will give it another few goes over the xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Rojo wrote: »
    Can't believe it's creeping up so fast... Would love a snoop at people's training plans as I'm a bit clueless. Just completed first marathon DCM this year so anything beyond is unchartered territory for me!

You can use the same training plan again. A 50k is not so different from a marathon that it would require different training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Thanks TFBubendorfer! Hard getting out the door this time of the year... Hopefully get back on track this weekend. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭py

I got out for some course recce at the weekend. Eventually found my way to doing the correct lap twice after taking some wrong turns along the way on my first time round. Enjoyable course which is pretty flat, just a few bumps in the 2nd Km. Tis mostly on compacted mud with a small amount on tarmac.

Anyone know what the deal is with parking on the day? Is it free or the usual €5 worth of €1 euro coins? I'd no coins with me on the day so had to park around the side of the forest and go in a side gate which left for a cold walk back to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

py wrote: »
    I got out for some course recce at the weekend. Eventually found my way to doing the correct lap twice after taking some wrong turns along the way on my first time round. Enjoyable course which is pretty flat, just a few bumps in the 2nd Km. Tis mostly on compacted mud with a small amount on tarmac.

Anyone know what the deal is with parking on the day? Is it free or the usual €5 worth of €1 euro coins? I'd no coins with me on the day so had to park around the side of the forest and go in a side gate which left for a cold walk back to the car.

Parking is usually free on race day up to 8:30am I think.

Don't let them "bumps" fool you, by lap 9 they can seem like Kilimanjaro!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven

Last years info/faqs are in the file section of the FB page

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

With just over a month to go, I have been looking at wearing my Hoka Carbon X's for the race but am worried that they wont have enough grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

boydkev wrote: »
    With just over a month to go, I have been looking at wearing my Hoka Carbon X's for the race but am worried that they wont have enough grip.

It is a gravel path... not trail

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

mloc123 wrote: »
    It is a gravel path... not trail

I was just going by the report by PY from 31st December where he mentioned it was mostly on compacted mud, But if its more gravel it should be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

boydkev wrote: »
    I was just going by the report by PY from 31st December where he mentioned it was mostly on compacted mud, But if its more gravel it should be ok.

It is all gravel path (not sure how it could be mistaken for mud, unless there were a lot of fallen leaves on the gravel), I have run there a fair amount in the last year and would use standard road shoes. There is one short section which looks muddy... but it is still solid gravel underneath.

mloc123 wrote: »
    It is all gravel path (not sure how it could be mistaken for mud, unless there were a lot of fallen leaves on the gravel), I have run there a fair amount in the last year and would use standard road shoes. There is one short section which looks muddy... but it is still solid gravel underneath.

Gravel it was, sorry for the poor description. I was using a pair of Pegasus and they were fine so boydkev will be fine in his carbon rockets.

U cud run in slippers in the forest at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

U cud run in slippers in the forest at the moment.

Wearing compression socks ?

General election announced for same day as this ... Hobbling to the voting booths will be fun that afternoon.

• Advertisement

General election announced for same day as this ... Hobbling to the voting booths will be fun that afternoon.
    If ur finished in time

If ur finished in time

Be grand, I'll be wearing earphones so I can listen to tunes to get me moving around the forest quicker.

Race instructions posted on the public facebook group a few days ago.

RACE DAY INSTRUCTIONS.READ THEM
    Race start time: 10:00 am sharp

Number pick up....Theres is none,you all have gotten them posted to you.

Tee shirt pick up 8:15-9:15 in the big Tent,Anyone that has purchased any Hoodies,Hats or extra Tees can pick them up here also

Forest entrance
    The barrier will be up from 8:10am until 9:00am,after that you are paying a fiver in,Dont be that guy that is late and is holding everyone up…. ENTER THROUGH THE MAIN DONADEA ENTRANCE and go to the carpark. Park in one of the spaces and go directly to tee pick up..Be Early

The course
    10 x 4.968 km loops with a 0.32km run up to the start line to make it 50km.The course will be marked at every km,but due to the nature of the course(extra run up)the km markers will only take into account the actual loop.BE AWARE THERE IS GOING TO BE ABOUT 200 OF YOU WHO WILL BE LAPPED,MOST OF THE 200 WILL GET LAPPED MULTIPLE TIMES,DO NOT GATHER INTO GROUPS AND TAKE OVER THE PATH.IF YOU HEAR A RUNNER COMING UP BEHIND YOU MOVE ASIDE.REMEMBER THIS IS A RACE,NOT A FUN RUN. There will be a marshall on a bike in front of the race leader, if u hear his whistle or his bell, move to the RIGHT so the runners can move by on your left or he will knock u down or kick you or worse,u don’t want to be the guy that injures the guys leading the race
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/118322861

Start line
    We will be starting at the front of the castle and finishing at the front of the cafe,the route is still the exact same.No Earphones

Race Briefing
    Race briefing is at 9:40 Sharp. 📷:)
    The 5hr cut off…Everyone who has entered knows there is a 5hr cut off.There is a 5hr pacer/sweeper running at 9:38minutes per mile or 6 minutes per km, his and her job is to get you to 40km in 4hrs .FOR anyone MORE THAN 30 minutes behind at this point, you have no fooking chance of finishing,and will be mocked mercilessly.If you have compression gear on we will double the abuse.Anyone finishing after 5hrs will be on the results only until monday evening ,you will then be deleted, so if u want to screenshot ur time for Insta/Facebook post that is your only chance..The last person i see on the finishing straight at 5:00:00 gets to turn off the clock There is also a 445 pacer and a 4:30 pacer provided,They are only officially pacing u for 8laps,they may stay on pacing until the end or fook off for pints.NO IFS,BUTS, MAYBES,COULD OF'S,SHOULD OF'S or SAD STORIES.THE CLOCK GOES OFF WHEN THE LAST PERSON I SEE AT 5hrs PASSES OVER THE LINE. NO EARPHONES

First aid
    Saint John's Ambulance will be in attendance for the duration of the race (5hrs)

Food/water stations….There will be unlimited water in cups at the start/ finish area.this will be provided by https://www.refill.ie/ as u pass the water station pick up ur drink ,drink it and throw the empty cup in the Refill.ie baskets provided,don’t throw ur gels or other rubbish in these bins There will be tables provided for you to put any drinks or food that you bring for yourself.Please remember it is not a picnic,don't bring tonnes of grub and take up half a table,no has died of starvation or dehydration in Donadea yet.bring any of your belongings away from the table when you are finished. I do not offer a lost and found service,so please do not message me asking if i found a blue Columbia jacket... anything left on the table after 5+ hrs goes into a bin or if its decent into my running clothes drawer.. No Earphones

Timing
    Lap timing will be provided by Pop Up Races.As with everything old school the race is run off Gun time.Wear your number on the front of your body,not underneath your coat or wrapped up in a ball in your pocket.Please don't stop at the timing desk and ask me what lap you are on ,If you are unsure look at your watch.If that dosen't work ask someone to find out for you and continue on with your lap,if you have done an extra lap,you should of checked earlier,We will try and call out when you are on your last lap.

SOUNDS
    Rocky music will more than likely be playing as u Start, finish and more than likely the entire 5 hrs .Beck's, Im a loser will be playing after 5hrs.Due to some fooking snowflakes complaining about the RD's fooking language on the mic last year, iv decided to get a Dj. You have paid extra €10 for him.There will also be a Dancefloor beside the finish line and Slow sets will defo be on ..

Directions
    From Dublin take (N4) leave the motor way at junction 8(kilcock), head towards Clane (R407). At approximately 6km, turn right at Baltreacy cross and drive through minor crossroads, continue to next junction (stop sign), turn right and the forest entrance is circa 1km on the left hand side.

From the west (M4), get off at junction 8 (Kilcock) 1st exit after toll, and follow directions above.

From the south (M7), take the Naas exit, junction 9. Drive towards Sallins, Clane and follow signs for Kilcock. Entering Clane Main Street, turn left at Topaz garage and drive 6+km, up to Baltreacy cross, turning left and following directions above.

Please familiarise yourself with the route to Donadea forest park as I won't be taking phone calls looking for directions. The race will start on time.

Environment
    The race is run on the leave no trace principal (http://www.leavenotraceireland.org.) There will be bins at the start/finish area and with any Marshalls on duty. Please do not litter the course and please use the bins for any gels, bottles or wrappers that you may use on the course. Do not leave any gels, bottles, any foodstuffs of any kind at the km markers or directional signs. Anyone littering will be disqualified and asked to leave the course as per the environment policy.Please Dont be that dickhead that throws your rubbish on the ground and expect someone else to pick it up,again a directional sign or km marker is not a bin

Jaxes
    There will be eight portaloos on the course at the start finish area. Use them. No earphones

There are NO facilities for showering in the forest park ,unless you fancy skinny dippin in the lake, so bring warm dry clothes to get into after the race. There is no post-race refreshments available, please bring something to eat post-race. There is a cafe in the forest for tea's and coffee

MASSAGE
    There will be 3 massauses available during and post-race provided by a Helen,Bendy and Evelyn,,please do not ask for a happy ending

Photos
    There will be loads of fotos flying around https://www.facebook.com/SOSullivanPhotography/?hc_location=ufiwill be taking everybodys finisher foto and some more and will be contacting you with a link to ur own personal fotos to purchase and percentage of profits will be going to https://www.facebook.com/friendsofgracetrust/

Medals
    no Fookin Medals,U are getting a plant …
    Presentation of winners trophies will take place 15 minutes after 3rd place gets sorted

To Summise:
    #1.Turn up and run 10 laps and fook off
    #2. Dont be a dickhead
    #3 Dont litter
    #4 will make up somthing in case i forget
    This will be Emailed to you all…..Hopefully

Are pink compression socks acceptable?

I have odd ones with unicorns on them, just for the day :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Preferably combined with the fluorescent pink Nike runners I'd imagine :)

Looking forward to Sat now, got in a half marathon & a marathon in Jan & the Dungarvan 10 yesterday so unlike last year am reasonably confident of making the finish line within the cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

I've had a shocking training cycle with illness and then blisters so missed 3 weeks of training.

I was coming from Dublin marathon with low mileage and had been hoping to pick it up but somehow it just never happened. So on Saturday I will be taking it as it comes and whether its 5/ 6 laps or I mange a few more, I'm going to enjoy the no pressure running.

Good luck to all who are racing it for their best time.

Just an update,

There will be NO rocky music. It and the movies are $hite !

Is there a bag drop or somewhere to leave a bag? Getting dropped off so car to throw it in to?

ToriV wrote: »
    Is there a bag drop or somewhere to leave a bag? Getting dropped off so car to throw it in to?

You're passing the start/finish area every 5k, leave anything you might need there!

You're passing the start/finish area every 5k, leave anything you might need there!

Thanks...i meant to put I had no car to leave my stuff in!!! 🙈. With the lovely stormy weather coming in, I'll just triple bag my clothes for after and hope for the best.

Thanks again and good luck on Saturday!

• Advertisement

Thanks...i meant to put I had no car to leave my stuff in!!! ��. With the lovely stormy weather coming in, I'll just triple bag my clothes for after and hope for the best.

Thanks again and good luck on Saturday!

You're welcome to store stuff in my car. I will however be finishing towards the end of the field so if you're in anyway stuck for getting that prior to the 5 hour mark you'll be out of luck. :)

You're welcome to store stuff in my car. I will however be finishing towards the end of the field so if you're in anyway stuck for getting that prior to the 5 hour mark you'll be out of luck. :)

Thanks a mil! Thats really good of you. I have no idea how this is going to go - so that would work out fine.

Yes there will be a tent for dropping bags on the day. No compression socks or headphones will be allowed in.

Yes there will be a tent for dropping bags on the day. No compression socks or headphones will be allowed in.

That's ok, I will be wearing mine, no need to drop them in a bag :)

That's ok, I will be wearing mine, no need to drop them in a bag :)

Brave, you could get a potted plant in the back of the head

Great! Thanks

Brave, you could get a potted plant in the back of the head

Like Dodgeball!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck to everyone tomorrow, was impressed to see my boards username printed on my number again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Great event again today. So lucky with the weather

Delighted to have finished today, even if it was outside cutoff. Well run event, will be back again for sure.
    Don't let them "bumps" fool you, by lap 9 they can seem like Kilimanjaro!!!

I can confirm that they are indeed mountains in the latter stages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement