Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donadea 50k 2020

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Always a pleasure to run this race. Especially today - the anniversary was an occasion, and the schtick was kept to a minimum. Love the heather, best medal yet. Well done to Anto and all the crew. (Didn’t get any whiskey but luckily had brought my own). ;)

Had a torrid time myself and tbh will probably retire
    from the distance, but a great way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Great event as ever, congratulations to Anto & the crew on the 10th anniversary.

Noticed several people wearing headphones despite the many warnings, in fact the person running in second was almost taken out by one despite a bunch of us shouting at her to move over, was wondering why 'til I spotted the wires.

My own run went fine, a few ahead of my rough plan in the end. Listening to wind & rain outside at the moment, think we dodged a bullet there!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

It was my first time doing this yesterday and it was a unique experience. Massive credit to all the organisers and volunteers, it was a very well run operation. It was far harder than I'd thought though and very satisfying to finish it. I recognised a few boardsies over the course of the day. There was a really good vibe about the whole event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Donadea 50k, what a great event and fantastic atmosphere. Thanks to Anto & all the organisers and all the stewards and supporters

My 2nd time at this event but unfortunately i didn't get to finish it yesterday. I started having an issue with my left hamstring as early as on the 2nd lap at about mile 4. I've had no issue with it before and i was having the right one treated even as late as Wednesday. It wasn't 100% but good enough to run.
    So the fact that the left one was giving me more of an issue was annoying. It was quite uncomfortable during lap 4 so ducked into the tent and had them both rubbed out. Headed off on lap 5 at a slower pace and it was much improved for that lap but started to give me issue again on lap 6 and i was limping.

I decided to finish at end of lap 6, but when i got there it wasn't too bad and the cheers made me feel like i could keep going, so headed off for another lap. My family had arrived and as i was finishing lap 7 I told them to follow me to the tent as i was limping again and it was causing a pain in the arch of my foot which was not going away.
    Physios were great as were all the people who let me skip the queue to get taped and I has planned on going out again but when i got up from the table i was shivering with the cold, and my legs seized up and i could hardly walk. Unfortunately at that point i had to admit defeat.
    I was so cold that I couldn't even wait to see my friends finishing. Took me a good while to warm up and on the 1.5 hr drive home my legs kept cramping and seizing up.

Have to say my fellow runners were fantastic and as i was lapped people were urging me to keep going as i was at the back of the pack for a good bit after lap 4 when i lost an extra 6 mins in the tent.

I hope to get back next year and try beat my 2017 time of 4.54 as i would love a sub 4.30 finish. well see what the year brings.

Well done to everyone taking part there was fantastic running going on out there yesterday. Blessed with the weather and lucky to dodge most of Storm Ciara.

7/10 laps in 3.41.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

Well done to pop up races and the crew for the event.

This was my first go at a distance longer than a marathon and managed to get through it in 4.29.03. Went out thinking i could just go along at around 8 min/miles so managed that up till about lap 7 and i started to get tired and lacked energy to keep at that pace and i had to slow right down but managed to get the last 3 done.

Once again i was amazed at the ignorance by some people who still dont understand the leave no trace concept and the instructions given by the organisers. The amount of gel wrappers and bottles that were being thrown to the side of the trail and well done to the spectators and marshalls who i saw walking and picking it all up.

Looking forward to putting the pot plant out in the garden to remind me of the hardship i went through.

Will i be back next year?...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

boydkev wrote: »

You know you will :D. After 9 months those massive hills on the back of the course start to shrink again in one's memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

boydkev wrote: »
    Well done to pop up races and the crew for the event.

This was my first go at a distance longer than a marathon and managed to get through it in 4.29.03. Went out thinking i could just go along at around 8 min/miles so managed that up till about lap 7 and i started to get tired and lacked energy to keep at that pace and i had to slow right down but managed to get the last 3 done.

Once again i was amazed at the ignorance by some people who still dont understand the leave no trace concept and the instructions given by the organisers. The amount of gel wrappers and bottles that were being thrown to the side of the trail and well done to the spectators and marshalls who i saw walking and picking it all up.

Looking forward to putting the pot plant out in the garden to remind me of the hardship i went through.

Have you now. Riverstick? I remember the shirt, not one I’d noticed before. Your journey looks even more painful than mine! Congrats on the debut.

(To be honest, I didn’t notice any blatant litter louts, but that could well be because of the roving litter wardens cleaning up after them as you suggest).

Advertisement