Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They're back. First if the election posters have appeared.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

bruschi wrote: »
    I think we can safely exclude Verona from winning this one.
    There is a pattern emerging OK, in two constituencies, candidates who just can't help themselves!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I think she has done herself no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ShaneODub

Can we though? A couple of anti-traveller comments boosted Peter Casey from an also-ran to 23% of the national vote. If unemployment in Wexford is as high as I'm reading in these threads, would there not be a sizeable anti-immigration vote for her? Added to that, she's impressive when she's talking about Brexit and haulage issues. (Although now I'm doubting everything she's ever said and wondering if it was just spin and exaggeration to further her arguments.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Never underestimate what the silent voter casts on election day. The easily offended PC snowflakes may be vocal but it's still one person, one vote

• Registered Users Posts: 20,427 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Never underestimate what the silent voter casts on election day. The easily offended PC snowflakes may be vocal but it's still one person, one vote

The conservative older vote is even more dominant in by elections due to the normal low turnout.

Might be worth a punt. She's gone to 5/1 or something I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

Wondering if many have had any callers to their doors. We haven't had one, not even a sorry i missed you!

It all seems so low key and no-one has a interest, seen Jim Codd campaigning on Wexford's Main St on Sat afternoon and that is all ive really seen.

I expect a low turnout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Big Vern wrote: »
    Wondering if many have had any callers to their doors. We haven't had one, not even a sorry i missed you!

It all seems so low key and no-one has a interest, seen Jim Codd campaigning on Wexford's Main St on Sat afternoon and that is all ive really seen.

I expect a low turnout

In Wexford town only answered to Labour but calls from FG and Shinners postal leaflets from FF and Green that's it. I'm conflicted though I want to give Gorgeous George and auld vote but if he does get elected chances are we will get Joe Ryan in the council which isn't what I want nor does Wexford given how he failed to get a local win for the past two local elections.

Malcolm Byrne seems to be concentrating in North Wexford, Jim Codd concentrating in South Wexford targeting the rural FG and FF vote.

I doubt that much of the Wallace protest voter will turn out and Johnny Mythen did well last time in general but did bad in local so gawd knows hoe he will do this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

She is saying in public what quite a few say in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Only ones I've seen campaigning in Enniscorthy were Aontú. I got cornered by Peadar Tóibín outside Dealz - the closest contact that I've ever knowingly had with an SF supporter or politician - but being a Unionist/Brexiteer/and pro choice I am not his demographic. Instead I'll be going with Karin Dubsky as she's the only worthwhile candidate in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Only ones I've seen campaigning in Enniscorthy were Aontú. I got cornered by Peadar Tóibín outside Dealz - the closest contact that I've ever knowingly had with an SF supporter or politician - but being a Unionist/Brexiteer/and pro choice I am not his demographic. Instead I'll be going with Karin Dubsky as she's the only worthwhile candidate in the field.
    Imv the greens would fare a lot better if they could somehow get rid of eamon Ryan I think they need a clean out of the old guard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Good to see a unionist Brexiteer accepting Green and a German are a better choice than foolishness. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Corvo wrote: »
    On the Irish Freedom Party

"Some outlets have linked party leader Hermann Kelly with alt-right ideologies, pointing to a video which Kelly recorded with far-right British Loyalist and former British National Party member Jim Dowson.[3] In the video Kelly endorsed the white nationalist "grand replacement" conspiracy theory.[3][24] This followed a similar interview, in January 2019 with LifeSiteNews, in which Kelly denounced what he called the "great replacement of our children"

Jesus wept.

Spoiler alert of the "Irish Freedom" party is they are actually set up by British loyalists who hate Irish freedom, including orange bigots.

Farage, who they adore, is actually against a united Ireland, as are all their other allies.

Gemma and her scangers think the Irish people give a sh@&e about foreigners in England, councils in England, English stuff in England.

Poor dear

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Lawlor probably quakes in his shoes every time he goes outside the ring road of Wexford town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Imv the greens would fare a lot better if they could somehow get rid of eamon Ryan I think they need a clean out of the old guard

IMO the Greens would fare better if they got policies other than taxing the working man to the hilt for having the audacity to drive to work to feed his family and heat his home. Bunch of PC Liberal attention seekers, there is a better chance of me casting a vote for FG than for a carpetbagger like Dubski and I can assure you there is a less than zero chance of me ever casting a vote for FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Marhay70 wrote: »
    IMO the Greens would fare better if they got policies other than taxing the working man to the hilt for having the audacity to drive to work to feed his family and heat his home. Bunch of PC Liberal attention seekers, there is a better chance of me casting a vote for FG than for a carpetbagger like Dubski and I can assure you there is a less than zero chance of me ever casting a vote for FG.

Excellent... That's what I like to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Big Vern

McLoughlin wrote: »
    In Wexford town only answered to Labour but calls from FG and Shinners postal leaflets from FF and Green that's it. I'm conflicted though I want to give Gorgeous George and auld vote but if he does get elected chances are we will get Joe Ryan in the council which isn't what I want nor does Wexford given how he failed to get a local win for the past two local elections.

Malcolm Byrne seems to be concentrating in North Wexford, Jim Codd concentrating in South Wexford targeting the rural FG and FF vote.

I doubt that much of the Wallace protest voter will turn out and Johnny Mythen did well last time in general but did bad in local so gawd knows hoe he will do this time.

Actually had callers last night from Labour! Will give George a vote somewhere along the list, but the thoughts of Joe Ryan getting back into the council is a huge draw back! But at same time i cant see George getting enough or much support outside of Wex town to get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Anyone watch tonights debate?

Verona Murphy empty chaired them; Jim Codd's at home lamenting this without realising the criteria TV3 used to select candidates

Of those on air PBP & GP candidates were p**s poor when it came to give their pitches at the end; indeed PBFP candidate was brutal throughout; they want free public transport but won't say, Apple excluded, who'll pay for it; fairytale politics.

Overall Malcolm beat them all hands down; may've been no harm #VoteVerona wasn't there; he may've eviscerated her; I'd be shocked if he doesn't romp home though her tallies will be interesting.

In his slipstream will be VM 2, George 3, Johnny 4, Cinnamon/Karin will be fighting for 5th I imagine and ex KK Co. Cllr. (SF then Ind.) Melissa O'Neill & the man who runs in any & every election Charles Reddy.

That said Melissa O'Neill might poll higher based on traction Verona Murphys comments get; she'd be of a similar bint (I didn't say she IS a similar bint!!!).

People will vote along the lines they always have. TV debates, controversy and incompetence rarely have an effect. We get what we deserve and love a good aul moan when the inevitable ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I've seen some posters here and elsewhere being somewhat scathing of Labour's Joe Ryan. May I ask what it is about him that arouses such derision? I slightly know him but am not a supporter, and I'd just like to know more.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Don't know what it is with people and it was a fine day and all. This time I just went No.1 and left it at that .Never done that before .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Don't know what it is with people and it was a fine day and all. This time I just went No.1 and left it at that .Never done that before .

I rarely do anything else and this time it was for Karin Dubsky but I have no faith that she will get in. As I have said before, most people especially those young enough to be threatened by climate change are more concerned with the latest gaming app and phone credit than dealing with reality. :(

Lightweight. I went as far as No.2 :)

I've being voting since 1980. I don't think I've ever been presented with as big a list of undeserving rabble in all those years since.

Seems a fairly low turn out. Voted for the green candidate, I've no faith that the usual suspects/parties are going to change anything and while I doubt she'll get in it was still worth it to vote for someone who has a long track record on environmental issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

I went through the list, one to nine, just for the craic. First time ever.

RadioRetro wrote: »
    I went through the list, one to nine, just for the craic. First time ever.
    The counters just found your voting card and inwardly they're raging ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Karin Dubsky is well known in Dublin but I can't see the Greens having a prayer as country people don't seem get the whole climate change/environment thing. It will be between Mythen and Byrne i.e. more of the same old ****e.

Country people would know better than people who just read about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

The people of Ireland showed what they thought of the Green party in 2011 and with good reason. It's a reflection of the poor choice on offer to Seán and Mary citizen that they would even consider voting for them again, lunatics like Ryan and Cuffe with their hair brained ideas are just the tip of the iceberg.
    Anybody remember Cuffe's statement in 2007 when he ruled out a coalition with FF as "a deal with the devil"?; the prospect of the gas guzzling Ministerial Mercs soon tempered that particular zealotry.

• Advertisement

Advertisement