Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ABS light on (Nissan Micra), what to do?

• 08-11-2019 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

I bought a Nissan Micro 2010 earlier this year. The NCT is coming up so brought it in for a pre-NCT. He fixed a minor things and it came to 70 euro. He brought up a list of things that need to be done and said it would come up to 400 euro. I had no choice and got it done. It came to 500 euro. I was also clamped around this time (Noting to do with anything it's just been a hard couple of weeks.)

I brought it to the NCT and it failed on the Hand brake. The hand brake was one of the things he looked at and did some work on it. I brought it back and said it was something inside the Handbrake and won't come up on a pre-test inspection.
    It came to 370 euro to fix it. I picked the car up and on the drive home I notice
    the ABS light is on. The Garage is closed now and I'm planning on brining it back tomorrow. What is the ABS light? Could it be them messing around with the Handbrake? I honestly can't afford any more along with booking another NCT.
    Could I get away with the ABS light on?

Any advice/help, please. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What exactly did the mechanic do or replace for the pre NCT that cost €500? What did he do or replace to the handbrake that cost €370? First thing is that a pre NCT is a total waste of money. It's nothing but a money making exercise to charge for things that might fail and as you found out doesn't guarantee you it will pass. You are better off putting the car through the NCT and then get fixed what it fails on if any. Based on the fact they charging you all that and still left you drive away with an ABS light on I certainly would not be paying them another cent.

Regarding the ABS light itself, you will need to have the fault scanned by a proper garage to identify what it might be, it could be a simple thing like just clearing the fault code and the light stays out or it could actually be a genuine fault that needs fixing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Yeah I wish I just did the NCT first now. I not too sure to be honest. There was a list of things that needed to be done. I know noting about cars, so I just trust what they say. So you think it's best to bring it back and get the ABS light looked at? God I hope it is just minor, I can't take anymore at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The abs system looks to see of the car is moving but the wheels are not (i.e skidding). This control system then try's to reduce the braking effort at the wheels to eliminate skidding as this is less effective than controlled braking whereby the wheels continue to roll.

It could be just a sensor at the wheel hub or cable on the blink. I found on my e36 that the cable on the front left behind the wheel was snagged / broken causing the light to come on. A quick solder and heat Srink had it sorted in 20 mins.

I jammed on the brakes on an empty wet road and could tell the front left kept locking it up so I suspected there first. If the sensor is working it should give an alternating voltage as the wheel spins. This can be checked with a multimeter if you can find a place to disconnect the wiring behind the wheel in the wheel arch as you spin the wheel hub / brake disc. Just put a multimeter probe on each cable to check. If you find a sensor not giving a voltage they should be easy enough to change. On my car it's just 1 bolt that holds each one in place.

YouTube is a great resource and with a few basic tools it could be a diy job.

Advertisement