Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHS - Slopes

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I made a spreadsheet a while ago to play around with some sample scores and some of the known slope ratings of courses in Ireland. It doesn't include the likes of PCC (playing conditions calculation - something not unlike CSS), the stableford adjustment, ESR or the hard and soft caps. Mainly because they make it needlessly complicated without really adding much in terms of usability.

I don't have course ratings for the courses concerned, but you can work off SSS as being more or less what the course rating would be. Obviously it won't be accurate, but it's about being consistent rather than accurate. There's a broad enough range of courses in there, so if you're familiar with some of them, you probably could get a rough idea of where your own course would end up.

Anyway, I've attached the spreadsheet so you can have a go at (more or less) working out what your own handicap index would be based on your last twenty or so scores. You need to work forward in time from score one as the handicap index calculation changes as the number of scores submitted increase until you've got to twenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Quick question on this, will handicap be adjusted after every round via HowDidIDo, Mastergolfer (or whatever system clubs use). As in if I play a competition Friday will I have my potentially new handicap on the Sunday. Presumably systems are in place for this calculation to take place automatically?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

tbayers wrote: »
    Quick question on this, will handicap be adjusted after every round via HowDidIDo, Mastergolfer (or whatever system clubs use). As in if I play a competition Friday will I have my potentially new handicap on the Sunday. Presumably systems are in place for this calculation to take place automatically?
    You would have it on Saturday. The plan is it will be updated once a day

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

gypsy79 wrote: »
    You would have it on Saturday. The plan is it will be updated once a day

Really? That’s interesting. In the US it’s updated twice monthly, so you could shoot the lights out on the second of the month and make hay off that for a couple of weeks before you get your update on the 15th. That said, there is significantly less competitive golf that isn’t scratch golf in the US so bar playing for a fiver with your mates it has much less relevance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Has there been any update on this with regards to how it’s going to work here??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

slingerz wrote: »
    Has there been any update on this with regards to how it’s going to work here??
    I posted up thread about handbooks having been sent to clubs with other literature a few weeks ago. GUI say that an awareness campaign for club members will be launched later this month. Also clubs will be given their ratings under the new system shortly.

Advertisement