Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin public bins are mankey

Options
  • 09-11-2019 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

Have written several times to the Council re the state of the few public bins we have. They are rank filthy. They need a quick regular external wipe down. Jeez it's not that difficult.

The few that have the silver cannister ashtrays attached NEVER get emptied. I reported one that was overflowing for months and they removed it instead of emptying it.

When you email them you get an auto response and nothing further. The whole sharade is a farce. Totally not fit for purpose. It is so frustrating to those that care....

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I've noticed that a lot of the bins in the city are being replaced with the ones that you have to open like a drawer to put the rubbish in. I hate having to touch those, I'd rather hold on to my rubbish to be honest! I wonder what is the benefit of them over the other more open ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

miamee wrote: »
    I've noticed that a lot of the bins in the city are being replaced with the ones that you have to open like a drawer to put the rubbish in. I hate having to touch those, I'd rather hold on to my rubbish to be honest! I wonder what is the benefit of them over the other more open ones?

those are the BigBelly bins - the new version that they're installing has a pedal to open the hatch so you don't need to touch the handle.

The benefit of them is that they have a built in solar-powered compactor so they hold many times the amount of rubbish of a regular bin. They also send an alert when they're full.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

miamee wrote: »

Those bins are trash compactors. They have quite a few advantages:

1. They compress the rubbish so you can fit more into the bin. This means they have to be collected far less often (reduces collection by around 90%).

2. They have sensors inside to indicate when the bin is full. This allows bin collection to be optimized.

3. They're closed system which keeps rodents out of them.

4. They look nicer (compared to an overflowing open bin).

However, the upfront cost of them is quite high and they require a battery replacement after 5 years which means you don't actually save any money in the long term.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thanks guys, I was vaguely aware of the solar element but hadn't thought too much about it. The compactor is a great idea and keeping rodents out too. They sound much more appealing now but I will be watching out for the pedals :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

They still don't give any of the bins a regular wash down. The new and old ones are all filthy, nor routinely washed and the few that have ashtrays not emptied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Does anyone remember the guy (large, red beard) who used to clean the Dublin parking meters years ago? It looked like a labour of love for him.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

As an Ulsterman I am not impressed by Dublin so far, it is quite rough compared to the towns I am used to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

As an Ulsterman I am not impressed by Dublin so far, it is quite rough compared to the towns I am used to

But what do you think about the bins?

I was in Belfast a couple of weeks ago. Something I noticed was i saw a grand total of one seagull and then it hit me, the place is spotless. In all the places I was in there was not a scrap of litter anywhere. No rubbish, no seagulls.

Dublin by comparison, and I'm sorry if it offends anyone, is filthy.

I love Dublin for many reasons, but I really wish it was kept cleaner.

Advertisement