Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Park Query.... What else!

• 09-11-2019 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭

Couple of quick questions for anyone who might have some info. Have looked at a few circulars but they're as clear as mud.

Are you on the clock for extra Croke Park hours from the final bell? Our principal insists we take a full lunch before starting hours we do on Wednesdays (half day), so we would only be on the clock from 13.50, tho we finish school at 13.15.

Some of our staff meetings are 2 hours in duration (as well as starting late on Weds) but we get 1 hour credit for them under "half in, half out" logic. This regular practice?

We do all our PT meetings after school so don't see "half in, half out" applying as I understand it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭smallgarden

Couple of quick questions for anyone who might have some info. Have looked at a few circulars but they're as clear as mud.

Are you on the clock for extra Croke Park hours from the final bell? Our principal insists we take a full lunch before starting hours we do on Wednesdays (half day), so we would only be on the clock from 13.50, tho we finish school at 13.15.

Some of our staff meetings are 2 hours in duration (as well as starting late on Weds) but we get 1 hour credit for them under "half in, half out" logic. This regular practice?

We do all our PT meetings after school so don't see "half in, half out" applying as I understand it.

Best place might be to ask voice for teachers on facebook.
    I think croke park hours have to start immediately after school finishes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Croke park is from the final bell. I think having it on a day when you have a half day is very awkward as you are entitled to X mins break per hours worked.
    For every hour after school spent on parent teacher meetings they are to come off the total Croke park hours as per previous circular regarding half in half out. That circular is regarding half in half out Parent teacher meetings- an old circular that is mentioned in the Croke Park circular, as it still stands in allowing ptm to be after school and not having the need for half days basically - nothing to do with staff meetings as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Croke park is from the final bell. I think having it on a day when you have a half day is very awkward as you are entitled to X mins break per hours worked.
    For every hour after school spent on parent teacher meetings they are to come off the total Croke park hours as per previous circular regarding half in half out. That circular is regarding half in half out Parent teacher meetings- an old circular that is mentioned in the Croke Park circular, as it still stands in allowing ptm to be after school and not having the need for half days basically - nothing to do with staff meetings as far as I know.

From the reading I've done, I think you've to take 30 mins of a break for every 6 hrs worked. You'd take a morning break (15) and then another 15 at 13.15. That would amount to the required 30 mins. So we shud be starting at 13.30, not 13.50.

Unclear if you'd still be on the clock at 13.15 even tho you'd be taking ur break then.

ie. 2 hr meeting, wud start on the bell but you'd have to take 15 mins break. 2 hr meeting 13.15- 15.15 but you'd only do 13.30- 15.15.

Thanks for reply

Edit: Has anyone a link to Circular that states Croke Park starts at the final bell. Can't find anywhere, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It's a mixture of CP circular and working time act which must be observed and not counted in your working day. Pt meetings are different as they have certain requirements. Local arrangements can apply if all parties are in agreement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

My understanding is that (a) Croke Park hours start at the bell and (b) that a break can and probably should be included as part of the Croke Park hours.

I would also add that my understanding is that (c) Croke Park hours should be agreed by the staff, not dictated by management.
    Could be wrong on any and all points though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

From the bell, although our P starts ours ten mins after our bell...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

solerina wrote: »
    From the bell, although our P starts ours ten mins after our bell...

10 min break, then 50 minute meeting?

Just throwing this out there as well regarding other Croke Park issue.

Our ETB has a 'policy' that the principal or VP will sit in on Dept meetings and those meetings have to happen during an assigned week on the calendar. As u can imagine, scheduling two dept meetings for your subjects in the one week when people have other things on is fun :)

Anyone else heard of this approach? Seems to disregard the procedures laid out for Croke Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

Just throwing this out there as well regarding other Croke Park issue.

Our ETB has a 'policy' that the principal or VP will sit in on Dept meetings and those meetings have to happen during an assigned week on the calendar. As u can imagine, scheduling two dept meetings for your subjects in the one week when people have other things on is fun :)

Anyone else heard of this approach? Seems to disregard the procedures laid out for Croke Park.

Sounds like they are taking the Piss tbh j2t

They are overstepping the mark imo

amacca wrote: »
    Sounds like they are taking the Piss tbh j2t

They are overstepping the mark imo

Wud have thought the same tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

It starts straight away from the end of school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

RealJohn wrote: »
    My understanding is that (a) Croke Park hours start at the bell and (b) that a break can and probably should be included as part of the Croke Park hours.

I would also add that my understanding is that (c) Croke Park hours should be agreed by the staff, not dictated by management.
    Could be wrong on any and all points though.

100% correct. The hours are to be agreed, not imposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

10 min break, then 50 minute meeting?

No, ten mins then 60 mins or 120 mins, we get caught for extra time constantly !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Absolutely supposed to start at the bell so if you take a break, that's ok, but you can leave 1 hour after the bell, no matter how long a break is taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭doc_17

solerina wrote: »
    No, ten mins then 60 mins or 120 mins, we get caught for extra time constantly !!

You are allowing yourself to be caught. Just leave.

Advertisement