Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Build \ spare parts

Options
  • 09-11-2019 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Looking for advice.

I have some parts I've accumulated and am interested in building a desktop out of them mainly for to be used as a Plex server and general browsing\work stuff.

Parts are as follows.
    128gb SSD ( Ill install Windows on this, I dont need to purchase windows).
    GA-970A-DS3P motherboard
    AMD FX-6300 CPU
    4 GB DDR3 cheap RAM
    RM1000x Power supply
    GTX1060 Graphics card ( I have a few of these )

A few questions people might be able to help with...
    I think I just need to buy a case and a 4tb hard drive. Any recommendations on either and am I missing something?
    Will there be issues in using such a big Power supply, like will it cost me a lot on electricity if I leave on all day?
    Is CPU and RAM enough?
    I know the 1060 is probably overkill or will it be useful for plex?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

FX-6300 will draw 72W @ idle - terrible idea for an always-on machine, you'd be using ~ €345 for power.
    Unless you're going to be gaming on it, I'd sell the lot as a gaming PC & buy a mini computer like an Intel NUC or Lenovo ThinkCentre tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    - terrible idea for an always-on machine, you'd be using ~ €345 for power.
    Unless you're going to be gaming on it, I'd sell the lot as a gaming PC & buy a mini computer like an Intel NUC or Lenovo ThinkCentre tiny.

What if I bought another CPU?

Not keen on going to trouble to sell everything. It's all second hand/used.

Edit- I've done some research and you can configure win10 to sleep when Plex is not in use. This should make big difference in power usage?.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No CPU from 10 years ago is going to have low idle power consumption - even leaving it on for 8hrs is going to be inefficient.
    Get another 4Gb RAM, stick it in a cheap ATX tower & sell it off as a Fortnite machine.

Go on AliExpress tomorrow (11.11 sale), look for Intel NUC, and buy a machine with i5 or i7 (7000 or 8000 series), 8Gb RAM, 128/250Gb SSD - should be around €255-290 + VAT.
    Alternatively, go on eBay/adverts & haggle a deal.

Those are laptop chips which will sip power (<10W at idle, 40W full load) & much more suitable to being left on 24/7.

Advertisement