Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed alarm

Options
  • 09-11-2019 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have an action 24 house alarm with monitoring on the house but they have said that the shed is too far from the keypad to join the same system and that I would need a whole second system for the shed. Shed is about 6meters from the back door. This would also mean a second monitoring fee.

I have power and cat 5 to the shed. The cat 5 though I suspect but be easily cut. Must check the WiFi signal there but should be alright.

I was wondering what other options I have. Want a PIR and for and window sensor ideally. Pvc door and window on a concrete shed.

Had been relying on just adding it to the main house system but with that out of the question maybe a self monitored system, will have to be wireless as the shed is plastered already.

Was looking at the Yale alarm but concerned favour the cat5 getting cuthabks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

If you have tamper configured then cutting the cat5 will set off the alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

degsie wrote: »
    If you have tamper configured then cutting the cat5 will set off the alarm.

But if I’m out of the house it won’t alert on the app will it?

Side note meant cat6 if it makes a difference

Follow up question, do the y-cam secure alarms work here? GSM backup would be a good option. Will be looking into a solution I got PMed also but researching my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hi all,

Have an action 24 house alarm with monitoring on the house but they have said that the shed is too far from the keypad to join the same system and that I would need a whole second system for the shed. Shed is about 6meters from the back door. This would also mean a second monitoring fee.

I have power and cat 5 to the shed. The cat 5 though I suspect but be easily cut. Must check the WiFi signal there but should be alright.

I was wondering what other options I have. Want a PIR and for and window sensor ideally. Pvc door and window on a concrete shed.

Had been relying on just adding it to the main house system but with that out of the question maybe a self monitored system, will have to be wireless as the shed is plastered already.

Was looking at the Yale alarm but concerned favour the cat5 getting cuthabks in advance.

What is the make and model of the intruder system you have in the house?

Did someone from Action24 actually go to your home and look at where your shed is etc ?

Just with all the HKC wireless systems we have out there, I have yet to come across such an issue as this.

kub wrote: »
    What is the make and model of the intruder system you have in the house?

Did someone from Action24 actually go to your home and look at where your shed is etc ?

Just with all the HKC wireless systems we have out there, I have yet to come across such an issue as this.

It’s not HKC, these are the systems https://www.action24.ie/homeowners/home-security/

They haven’t been to the house but due an annual service soon for battery checks so might get talking to the engineer while they are here rather than the sales guy who did tell me it would be too far but hasn’t visited the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Could they not do a secondary relay panel of some sort, sounds extreme that you would need a whole new alarm system.

Not much help to you but ..funnily enough I just alarmed our shed last Sat, it is a HKC system, so I put up an inertia shock door sensor and internal sounder, never considered how far from the panel it was but worked no problem. At a guess I would say our shed is 4 meters from back door min and then at least another 8ms to the panel (panel next to front door of house).

Are you long into a contract with action 24?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

It’s not HKC, these are the systems https://www.action24.ie/homeowners/home-security/

They haven’t been to the house but due an annual service soon for battery checks so might get talking to the engineer while they are here rather than the sales guy who did tell me it would be too far but hasn’t visited the house.

Sales reps do their thing always and try and sell you something new rather than looking for solutions with what you currently have.
    Best bet is be nice to the guy doing the routine check on the system and I am sure he should be able to give you sound technical advice.
    Sorry I am unfamiliar with that system as per your link.

Advertisement