Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any insurance issue with car parked up on public road for weeks

Options
  • 10-11-2019 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any insurance issue with leaving your car parked up on a public road, not my road or my house or anywhere near me, for an extended period, like four to six weeks? I've gone through the Liberty policy document but I can't find any explicit requirement, beyond the general provision to notify the insurer of any change in conditions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

One of the questions I've been asked when getting quotes is where is the car normally parked, driveway/garage etc. I'm not sure would that affect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

There is a general provision to take due care to prevent or minimise a loss. As long as it's not a desolate area or a known crime hotspot you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 29,093 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

One of the questions I've been asked when getting quotes is where is the car normally parked, driveway/garage etc. I'm not sure would that affect you.
    Thanks, I suppose the question might be around what constitutes 'normally'? Is there any limit on the number of days/weeks per year that it could be parked at a different address without being in breach of the requirement to notify changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I don't think so, but then again I'm just an ordinary joe. As far as I know once your car is road legal, ie taxed, NCTd and insured it can be parked as long as you like, once its not a pay area.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks, I suppose the question might be around what constitutes 'normally'? Is there any limit on the number of days/weeks per year that it could be parked at a different address without being in breach of the requirement to notify changes.

Once it's in the same location as you said it's normally used it should be fine, you say it's normally used in D12 and park it in D14 there might be an issue.

There could be an issue is if you said it was kept in a locked garage where they then place restrictions on the level of cover that applies nearby, but that affects motorbikes more than cars so shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Once it's in the same location as you said it's normally used it should be fine, you say it's normally used in D12 and park it in D14 there might be an issue.

There could be an issue is if you said it was kept in a locked garage where they then place restrictions on the level of cover that applies nearby, but that affects motorbikes more than cars so shouldn't be an issue.
    Thanks - good point. Do you need to have valid NCT and tax to park on a public road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Tax on a public road is legally a must

Tax on a public road is legally a must
    Thanks.

Does anyone know the story about NCT? Do you need it to be parked or is it only required when actually driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Thanks.

Does anyone know the story about NCT? Do you need it to be parked or is it only required when actually driving?

Unsure if this thread is of use, it may or may not be.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=90684172

Unsure if this thread is of use, it may or may not be.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=90684172
    Thanks, that thread includes a useful link to the 1961 Act (surprisingly enough) which confirms that you need the NCT to 'use' the car, and 'use' includes 'park'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Thanks.

The car has to be road legal to use the road. Parking is using so it needs to have tax, insurance and an NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

If anything happened the car and you made a claim the insurance company could allege that you abandoned the car as it was not under your effectual control

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement