Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency generator for home

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

listermint wrote: »
    Erm... Alot of information there Steve.

But you are aware that the approach is towards a broad smart managed system across the board. Combining multiple energy types and having localised energy creation topped up with energy from grid. This being controlled monitored and fed my smart meters .

You haven't just dreamt this up now. Providers are well aware.

And this stuff about old and young we will need all homes to be involved regardless of home owners age. Their house doesn't burn to dust when they leave this earth their home will be smart for the next owner after them.

Rinse and repeat.

It's a concerted effort and the Tax breaks are to incentivise the direction we need to take.

I get the impression you seem to think you've had a Eureka moment?

Not a eureka moment, far from it, but having spent some time looking at a number of areas here on the boards fora, it's become even clearer that the lack of joined up thinking from the main players is mind numbing. On one hand, they want to move to electric power vehicles, but the infrastructure to support that move at a local level is not there, and won't be for a considerable time period, issues like public charger hogging and availability, among others, are not going to get better without some fundamental changes of attitude and policy, and huge numbers of residential areas are going to be unable to support significant numbers of off peak chargers, the network wasn't built to provide the sort of power needed to do that, and if things like showers are going to move from stored water to instant heating, that's only going to make the problem worse, running a power shower and a vehicle charger at the same time will be more than a lot of installations can support.

For older people (like me, nearly 70), the costs of retrofitting our house are out of reach, dormer bungalows are an energy nightmare because of appallingly bad construction standards and policy over the last 40 years, and it's very much down to "Irish" attitudes, we moved here from the UK in the late 80's, and the difference in standards between the 2, which were supposedly very similar, was frightening, and a lot of the blame for that is down to a complete absence of enforcement of the regulations that were and are in place, so developers cut corners (and more) and were comfortable that even if their shortcomings were found, there would be no sanctions or repercussions.

Then there is the problem that some of the changes needed to make this new direction work are likely to be socially unacceptable, high rise towers come with a multitude of problems that we've seen over the last while, and the result was that tower blocks that were in place have been removed and replaced with lower density housing, because of the social issues, so where does that leave us? Catch 22.

I don't have the answers, and for me, my highest priority is trying to make sure that where ever we are living, we are safe, secure and warm. After that, with the way things are going, we may not have too many options, because there is an unfortunate lack of real carrot to go along with the big stick relating to carbon taxes and the like, and a carrot that cannot be reached because it keeps on moving is no incentive to make change.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Advertisement