Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyre pressure advice for novice

• 10-11-2019 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi
    I am very ignorant of car stuff so am looking for advice from anyone who can help.

I have a Nissan Qashqai 2019.

I can not make sense of tyre pressure. I checked the monitor on the screen and I hope you understand the following.

There is a picture of the car and the four tyres.

In the middle of the front tyres in blue it says 2.6. Then front left and right it says in white 2.4.

In the middle of the back tyres in blue it says 2.4. The front left and right it says 2.3.

What does this mean? Does it mean that the correct figure should be what is written in blue and the current pressure is one (point?) below what it should be?

I used to pump tyres in my old car to 32 or 33 or 26 or whatever. I never understood what it meant but I knew from the manual that that was the correct pressure. Now it says 2.4 and 2.6. What does this mean?
    There are usually only 2 or three people in the car. Mostly two.

I can't even understand the figures on the side of the door as there are so many. For example on the door it says for 1-3 people and a picture of a suitcase:

215/65R16 09H 260 (2.6) (38) (And presuming for the back) 240 (2.4) 35

But it goes on:
    215/60R17 96 H and 215/55R18 99V xl and 225/45R19 96W XL
    and for these figures it says 230 (2.3) (33) and back tyre 210 (2.1) 30

It then gives other stats for 4-5 people.

I have a simple question what should the pressure be in the front and back tyres in the figure like 32, 33, 34 as I do not understand 2.4 etc.

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

the 2.4 is pressure in BAR tyre gauges usually have BAR and Psi. Psi is what you are used to. Shown in brackets on your sticker on the door.
    The answer depends on the tyre size you have. That is the other stuff you see on the sticker

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aine kilbride

sundodger5 wrote: »
    the 2.4 is pressure in BAR tyre gauges usually have BAR and Psi. Psi is what you are used to. Shown in brackets on your sticker on the door.
    The answer depends on the tyre size you have. That is the other stuff you see on the sticker

Thanks for reply. I checked the numbers on the tyre. (Very difficult to read I have to say). It was 215/65R16 09H and this is one of the numbers on the door. 38 at the front and 35 at the back.

Would 38 front tyres and 35 back tyres sound ok for a Qashqai with usually two people on board?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

if that is what the sticker on the door says. then yes.
    Usually two figures per tyre size on the stcker what i will call the standard, just a couple of people light luggage perhaps. then the loaded figure which is normally higher for when its 5 people and luggage. Most people rarely adjust though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭aine kilbride

sundodger5 wrote:
    if that is what the sticker on the door says. then yes. Usually two figures per tyre size on the stcker what i will call the standard, just a couple of people light luggage perhaps. then the loaded figure which is normally higher for when its 5 people and luggage. Most people rarely adjust though.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

A word of advice. Take little heed of the pressure readings on the dash. Those peressure readings are not directly measured at the wheels and so, their accuracy cannot be relied upon.

Always base your satisfaction with tyre pressures upon readings from an actual guage applied to the valve.

However, I would take note and check my tyres if the dash reading suddenly notes an underpressure or if pressure readings in a wheel suddely start to decrease.

The dash is a useful indicator but should not be relied upon as an accurate pressure reading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement