Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy railway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Are all these works been done as safety and maintenance measures or are they apart of an overall improvement of journey times ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭seekers

IE 222 wrote: »
    Are all these works been done as safety and maintenance measures or are they apart of an overall improvement of journey times ect.

The line seems to be closed for engineering work quite often. The best maintained line in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

seekers wrote: »
    The line seems to be closed for engineering work quite often. The best maintained line in the country

It's part of the plan to introduce 100mph running on the line before Christmas.

Well in fairness it's also the most in need of maintenance line in the country.

The question I'm asking is, has the time come that the sections of track can no longer be maintained or is it apart of an effort to improve services overall and if this is happening now because of Covid were IE are having to redirect resources to lower cost projects or was this planned to take place before Covid.

Isn't some of that line CWR?

• Advertisement

Isn't some of that line CWR?

Yeah but think most of it is between Killonan and Nenagh, im sure someone else will confirm that. The works over the summer seen a few miles around Roscrea upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Del.Monte wrote: »
    It's part of the plan to introduce 100mph running on the line before Christmas.

And you’d still be complaining it’s not 120.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Kind of surprising that there is not even the offer of a bus replacement. I suppose the covid is aligning well for that. It's hard to see the line having a long term future even with all the work

Kind of surprising that there is not even the offer of a bus replacement. I suppose the covid is aligning well for that. It's hard to see the line having a long term future even with all the work

Numbers are on the up. In fact its quite telling in the census that people want to use the service but can't. The numbers show good usage in the mornings but it's the return service that is holding it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

IE 222 wrote: »
    Numbers are on the up. In fact its quite telling in the census that people want to use the service but can't. The numbers show good usage in the mornings but it's the return service that is holding it back.

More likely that the low speed is holding it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Census can be manipulated as the date is well known and is a single data point, just saying...

tabbey wrote: »
    More likely that the low speed is holding it back.

Well that's preventing more from using it. The figures show a telling story.

For instance,

Ballybrophy - 47 arrive but only 7 boarded throughout the day. An educated guess would be 47 traveled in the morning but only 7 could make the connection back.

Castleconnell - Boarded 22 (Northbound towards Dublin) 20 (Southbound towards Limerick) - Arrived 0 (Northbound from Limerick) 8 (Southbound from Dublin)

I think it's clear to say IE need to look at their evening departures first and foremost. They need to put the second set on the line in the evenings or look into splitting sets in Portlaise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

Well I doubt they're closing this line anytime soon. The road between Castleconnell and O'Briensbridge is closed next week for 3 weeks. Irish Rail are replacing the railway bridge at DerryLusk.
    Doubt they'd invest that kind of money on a line they'll close soon.

Thank you. That is what I was looking for. Seems a long time to close the line to replace a bridge. When compared with other bridge replacements. The allow river bridge and the monesterevan bypass and M1 bridges were all far bigger and done over a weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Well I doubt they're closing this line anytime soon. The road between Castleconnell and O'Briensbridge is closed next week for 3 weeks. Irish Rail are replacing the railway bridge at DerryLusk.
    Doubt they'd invest that kind of money on a line they'll close soon.

That's not how CIE works and there have been numerous cases of spending money on lines threatened with closure - the West Cork system probably the best known. The West Clare being another.

Thank you. That is what I was looking for. Seems a long time to close the line to replace a bridge. When compared with other bridge replacements. The allow river bridge and the monesterevan bypass and M1 bridges were all far bigger and done over a weekend

Apparently they're not just replacing the bridge, they're also raising it. I'm guessing that would involve raising the whole line and embankments themselves? Lots of trucks striking the bridge.

Apparently they're not just replacing the bridge, they're also raising it. I'm guessing that would involve raising the whole line and embankments themselves? Lots of trucks striking the bridge.

I has a look on Google maps today and it didn't look in great condition either. Is this the only work they're doing on the line?

I has a look on Google maps today and it didn't look in great condition either. Is this the only work they're doing on the line?

As far as I know. I did notice a good bit of activity beside the bridge for the past few weeks. Clearing the embankments and installing a temporary road. I'll stroll up next week when the road is closed to see what's happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If it is UBN87 over the R525, it appears on this list as a 3.0 “Significant structural defects, i.e. out-of-tolerance faults”
    https://www.irishrail.ie/IrishRail/media/Imported/ie_foi_136_response_pack.pdf

to be fair, the overtime etc. that must have been spent to achieve quick/overnight builds doesn’t seem justified here.

• Advertisement

Some lovely pictures of the new bridge here

https://www.facebook.com/130935910272086/posts/3794117403953900/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Some lovely pictures of the new bridge here

https://www.facebook.com/130935910272086/posts/3794117403953900/
    Won't be long now before it becomes a greenway bridge :rolleyes:

Won't be long now before it becomes a greenway bridge :rolleyes:

Sad but true

A bit disappointing that the project didn’t relocate at least one side of the abutments (at the expense of the relevant road authority) to permit widening of the road and therefore better sighting distances, no? It looks to me like the deck is maybe a bit thinner so maybe a few fewer bridge strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 nigra

I occasionally work in Nenagh hospital and commute from Limerick City. In general, taking the train somewhere just makes a lot of sense. I can work away on my laptop while i'm travelling by train , in contrast driving time is dead time to me from a productivity perspective ,at least until Elon Musk sorts out driverless cars. The Limerick/Nenagh service is just appalling though. If i want to get back to Limerick from Nenagh anytime after 11.10am , then i have to wait to get back into Colbert station at 21.15

I admit defeat and drive instead.

Do i want to use the service? definitely
    Is the service objectively adequate considering the size of towns? definitely not

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

nigra wrote: »
    I occasionally work in Nenagh hospital and commute from Limerick City. In general, taking the train somewhere just makes a lot of sense. I can work away on my laptop while i'm travelling by train , in contrast driving time is dead time to me from a productivity perspective ,at least until Elon Musk sorts out driverless cars. The Limerick/Nenagh service is just appalling though. If i want to get back to Limerick from Nenagh anytime after 11.10am , then i have to wait to get back into Colbert station at 21.15

I admit defeat and drive instead.

Do i want to use the service? definitely
    Is the service objectively adequate considering the size of towns? definitely not

They need modern trains. That cater for bikes and standing passenger's. Then sort out the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Limpy wrote: »
    They need modern trains. That cater for bikes and standing passenger's. Then sort out the speed.

the current trains can take standing passengers, but i would agree that ideally bike spaces should exist all be it i don't think there are any available places to put them on the particular trains used.
    the current trains are 20 years old which is about half life for a train so won't be replaced yet, granted they are noisy rickety old yokes as i can attest to having had the misfortune of having to endure them.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

the current trains can take standing passengers, but i would agree that ideally bike spaces should exist all be it i don't think there are any available places to put them on the particular trains used.
    the current trains are 20 years old which is about half life for a train so won't be replaced yet, granted they are noisy rickety old yokes as i can attest to having had the misfortune of having to endure them.

Could they move current Train to another job. Considering how rural the surrounding areas are, having Space for bikes would bring a lot of people into play. I hope it happens it would be a big boost for east Limerick/Tipp and the surrounding areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Limpy wrote: »
    Could they move current Train to another job. Considering how rural the surrounding areas are, having Space for bikes would bring a lot of people into play. I hope it happens it would be a big boost for east Limerick/Tipp and the surrounding areas.

they wouldn't be able to move them currently as there isn't anything to replace them with, unfortunately we are cronically short of stock.
    there are going to be improvements to the dublin suburban services in the near future which will bring new stock which should release stock.
    granted a lot of what it will release, will be similar to the existing trains but are 4 cars instead of 2, so should allow room for some bike spaces with a refurbishment.
    granted we can only speculate at the moment in relation to stock cascades.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

there are going to be improvements to the dublin suburban services in the near future which will bring new stock which should release stock.
    granted a lot of what it will release, will be similar to the existing trains but are 4 cars instead of 2, so should allow room for some bike spaces with a refurbishment.
    Even if the 29000s do make it to Limerick area (rather than cascade 2600s from Cork if/when they get 29Ks) reports from other threads would indicate they will need some serious TLC first given how hard they have been flogged in Dublin area as well as subbing on Enterprise

Advertisement