Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick - Nenagh - Ballybrophy railway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

I was on a 29000 on the Dublin/Rosslare line recently, they are badly in need of a cleanup and are outdated compared to some of the 22k's which have usb sockets, new seats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I was on a 29000 on the Dublin/Rosslare line recently, they are badly in need of a cleanup and are outdated compared to some of the 22k's which have usb sockets, new seats etc.

And doors between carriages that you don't need to be Charles Atlas to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And doors between carriages that you don't need to be Charles Atlas to open.

cue dozens of young fellers googling who dafuq Charles Atlas was.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

dowlingm wrote: »
    Even if the 29000s do make it to Limerick area (rather than cascade 2600s from Cork if/when they get 29Ks) reports from other threads would indicate they will need some serious TLC first given how hard they have been flogged in Dublin area as well as subbing on Enterprise

yes i would second those reports.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,112 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Isambard wrote: »
    cue dozens of young fellers googling who dafuq Charles Atlas was.

Charles Atlas? Didn't he used to be chairman of the IRRS Maps sub committee?

• Advertisement

that was Charles Satnav I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Interesting how nigra talked about the really poor timetable ,which was answered with " they need better trains "
    It's really not a line that's run for the benefit of passengers ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

He could have been but I thought he was the chap who used to lift 2509 back onto the track when it would derail on I R R S railtours.

Incidentally, 2509 used to work a local service Nenagh to Limerick in the 60s, and it didn't even have a loo. I don't know what the timing was, but it would be hard to be slower than the present service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Markcheese wrote: »
    Interesting how nigra talked about the really poor timetable ,which was answered with " they need better trains "
    It's really not a line that's run for the benefit of passengers ...

Timetable and speed of the trains are the priority on this line.. passengers would happily forego a usb plug for anything related to an adequate service.

Ive brought my bike on this service before. Space isnt an issue usually due to low passenger numbers. There was no proper bike stand etc. I just leaned it up against a wall and sat beside it.

Upgrade the line between Nenagh and Limerick. Maybe look at joining the line directly to the Dublin - Cork line stopping at Portlaoise.

If you can make the line at least competitive with the speed of a fairly crappy bus service then the fortunes of the line would turn around very quickly.

Its not rocket science. Invest in the infrastructure where the line is in the worst condition. Between Nenagh and Limerick. To my knowledge this is by far the slowest section of the line where it should be the most efficient.

Financial fallout from covid could prob kill the line unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ohographite

Deedsie wrote: »
    Financial fallout from covid could prob kill the line unfortunately.

That is my fear too.

• Advertisement

Upgrade the line between Nenagh and Limerick. Maybe look at joining the line directly to the Dublin - Cork line stopping at Portlaoise.

Invest in the infrastructure where the line is in the worst condition. Between Nenagh and Limerick. To my knowledge this is by far the slowest section of the line where it should be the most efficient.

The problem here is that the sections Nenagh to Limerick, are the least suitable for speed, due to curvature. Nenagh to Ballybrophy or better still, direct up the main line, offers the best option for speed and journey time reduction. 90 or 100mph would be reasonable over most of this line once the cwr is stressed and bedded down.
    There is no point in terminating trains at Portlaoise, three, four or five trains each way per day between Limerick and Dublin via Nenagh is what you need to compete with the bus services on this corridor, anything less is a token which is bound to fail.

tabbey wrote: »
    The problem here is that the sections Nenagh to Limerick, are the least suitable for speed, due to curvature. Nenagh to Ballybrophy or better still, direct up the main line, offers the best option for speed and journey time reduction. 90 or 100mph would be reasonable over most of this line once the cwr is stressed and bedded down.
    There is no point in terminating trains at Portlaoise, three, four or five trains each way per day between Limerick and Dublin via Nenagh is what you need to compete with the bus services on this corridor, anything less is a token which is bound to fail.

Well quite a large number of people from Nenagh and Roscrea work in Portlaoise so there would certainly be more of a point terminating the line in Portlaoise rather than the current ballybrophy stop.

I agree the section of line between Limerick in Nenagh is a disaster. Too many gates, crossings, public roads etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

passengers would happily forego a usb plug for anything related to an adequate service.
    Well yes but they are handy for tech nerds like me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,706 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

https://www.tipperarylive.ie/news/news/593439/tipperary-rail-campaigners-welcome-moves-on-engineer-s-report-on-local-line.html
    North Tipperary Community Rail Partnership has secured a commitment from Irish Rail to have an engineer’s report carried out on the Ballybrophy to Limerick rail line with a view to increasing train speeds along the track.
    They said that Irish Rail had also agreed to propose to the National Transport Authority that an additional service run in the middle of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Dicking about with the timetable has been tried and is pointless. The only thing that will save this line is a direct Dublin facing curve at Ballybrophy and increased line speeds. At the same time planned expansion of towns such as Nenagh and Roscrea wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭seekers

Well yes but they are handy for tech nerds like me ;)

They are a selling point. I always book rail due to charging points for phones

• Registered Users Posts: 8,460 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Dicking about with the timetable has been tried and is pointless. The only thing that will save this line is a direct Dublin facing curve at Ballybrophy and increased line speeds. At the same time planned expansion of towns such as Nenagh and Roscrea wouldn't go amiss.

As in direct limerick to Dublin trains ?
    And abandon colbert to limerick junction ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    As in direct limerick to Dublin trains ?
    And abandon colbert to limerick junction ?
    There is no need to abandon the wlr route, in fact, a longer, faster direct curve at the junction is long overdue, with five or six direct trains Limerick to and from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Just looking at it, the Level Crossing at R445 should be relatively easy to close with a new bridge to the west. About 450m of new road on the other side would also allow for the closure of the next LC south. I'm sure the one to the north could also be closed, possibly without doing anything else or with a short stretch of road.

I'm sure a single bridge and well laid out link roads could allow for the closure of three LCs between R503 and R506 inclusive. I think that kind of targeted investment would have a lot of benefit.

• Advertisement

Monday 18th to Sunday 7th February

Please note that due to Engineering Works between Limerick and Ballybrophy commencing on Monday 18th January until Sunday 7th February, 2021 inclusive, the following service alterations and amendments will occur:

06.30 Limerick to Ballybrophy is cancelled Monday to Saturday
    10.05 Ballybrophy to Limerick is cancelled Monday to Saturday
    16.55 Limerick to Ballybrophy is cancelled Monday to Saturday
    19.05 Ballybrophy to Limerick is cancelled Monday to Saturday
    07.45 Nenagh to Limerick will operate as bus transfer departing at 07.30 calling at Birdhill, Castleconnell and Limerick Monday to Friday
    16.55 will operate as a bus transfer between Limerick and Nenagh and will serve Castleconnell, Birdhill and Nenagh Monday to Friday
    17.20 Limerick to Ballybrophy is cancelled Sunday
    19.45 Ballybrophy/Limerick is cancelled Sunday

Any word on what works are being carried out on the line?

Looks like Covid has closed this and the Waterford lines too

writing even larger writ on the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They reopened both lines after the previous COVID closure, when I was convinced they'd just be forgotten. So not much to suggest they won't resume this time.

They were saying that they would ask the NTA about an expansion of services and faster speeds last month

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

and before the NTA was even a concept they could have expanded the services off their own back, but never bothered.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Paddico

100% agreed with this, and keep Limerick Junction run as well.
    Means passengers can go direct from Limerick to Portlaoise or Limerick to Thurles, without changes

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

Paddico wrote: »
    100% agreed with this, and keep Limerick Junction run as well.
    Means passengers can go direct from Limerick to Portlaoise or Limerick to Thurles, without changes

Someone will be along shortly to spank you for agreeing with JD/DM :D !!!

They HATE when he's right, which is usually.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the extent of the works being carried out on the line at the moment? Line improvements is pretty vague.

Good sign that anything is being done I suppose.

Advertisement