Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots Refund Help

Options
  • 10-11-2019 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi.

I bought a walkie talkie set in boots on a mad whim. Even standing next to the person you can't hear through the walkie talkie let alone if you in a different room. I'm planning on bringing them back, as it cost 16 euro. I have the receipt
    but do you think I get a cash refund or credit voucher? I looking for full refund but wonder am I entitled to it?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

jface187 wrote: »
    Hi.

I bought a walkie talkie set in boots on a mad whim. Even standing next to the person you can't hear through the walkie talkie let alone if you in a different room. I'm planning on bringing them back, as it cost 16 euro. I have the receipt
    but do you think I get a cash refund or credit voucher? I looking for full refund but wonder am I entitled to it?

Thanks.

Cash, if its faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

MarkR wrote: »
    Cash, if its faulty.

Not quite. Repair/replacement are both entirely acceptable also.

Store credit isn't. I suspect the product itself is awful and a replacement would be the same / repair impossible though

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

L1011 wrote: »
    Not quite. Repair/replacement are both entirely acceptable also.

Store credit isn't. I suspect the product itself is awful and a replacement would be the same / repair impossible though

Yeah that's the thing. I assume there all like this. I'm surprised at Boots esp since there charging 16 euro, it should not be a pound shop job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

€16 walkie talkie unit that is a mere £6.25 on their UK website (Boots are an UTTER Ripoff)

It also received one star rating from almost everyone that buys it.

You were both ripped of and got a complete piece of crap.

Refund and then never buy sh1te in boots again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I've always found Boots to be excellent in terms of customer service & refunds.
    I bought a hair curler last year that turned out to be way too big for my hair, and it was basically unusable because I couldn't even wrap it around it to make a curl.

It had been taken out of the box, and used several times, but it wasn't faulty. It just wasn't suitable. I chanced my arm and brought it back with the receipt, hoping for store credit but they were kind enough to give me a full refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Not a good sign of trends in the retail sector if Boots have to descend to selling crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

coylemj wrote: »
    Not a good sign of trends in the retail sector if Boots have to descend to selling crap like that.

Christmas "stocking fillers" Lots of shops sell tad like this at this time of year.

Went back to boots today.

Went to the counter and explained the situation to the person behind the counter. She said ok and looked at the receipt. My item was part of the 3 for 2 offer. She said doubt she be able to give me a full refund. She went away to divide the cost of the items and came back with the offer of a 3 euro refund.

I paid 16 for the walkie talkies and two other items for 13 euro. So I got one of the 13 euro item offer for "Free". I had no idea where the 3 euro refund came from. She then said I could get something for the vaule of 16 euro or bring all the items back get a full refund then buy the two other items again and another one to get the two for three offer? what the hell. I was totally confused by what she way saying and it was all in a condescending way with a crowd of people behind me.

I left the store and came back after a few minutes. I asked to speak to the manger directly. She was lovely and at first said I could get an item of the same vaule, I told her there noting that I would want for that amount. She then gived me full cash refund for the faulty item.
    I still no idea what the first girl was on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

jface187 wrote: »
    Went back to boots today.

Went to the counter and explained the situation to the person behind the counter. She said ok and looked at the receipt. My item was part of the 3 for 2 offer. She said doubt she be able to give me a full refund. She went away to divide the cost of the items and came back with the offer of a 3 euro refund.

I paid 16 for the walkie talkies and two other items for 13 euro. So I got one of the 13 euro item offer for "Free". I had no idea where the 3 euro refund came from. She then said I could get something for the vaule of 16 euro or bring all the items back get a full refund then buy the two other items again and another one to get the two for three offer? what the hell. I was totally confused by what she way saying and it was all in a condescending way with a crowd of people behind me.

I left the store and came back after a few minutes. I asked to speak to the manger directly. She was lovely and at first said I could get an item of the same vaule, I told her there noting that I would want for that amount. She then gived me full cash refund for the faulty item.
    I still no idea what the first girl was on about.

The first girl was right. €42 worth and you paid only €29. You have items to the value of €26.

Yes but we all know the third item is not "free". The prices are jacked up to cover the third item. Boots are not losing whatever the value of the third item, every time someone does this offer.

I was willing to take the 10 euro, which is what I paid divided by three. Also the Walkie Talkies don't work. All the reviews online say the same thing. I think it's only fair if you selling faulty stock that you refund the customer. I'm sure most people won't even come back or push for a refund and Boots are more then happy to rip those people off.

• Advertisement

I'm amazed people fall for this 3 for 2 lark by boots.

They even do it on some branded items that their price is €32 whereas most independent shops are €19.95.

So 3 for 2 in boots costs €64 and in an independent store, same products cost €59.85 at standard price.

Boots = Rip-off.

On above refund, they'd be correct in offering about €10.50, but i suspect the manager realised the ridiculousness of what the assistant had done and gave the full refund to ensure no more time wasting

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

silver2020 wrote: »
    €16 walkie talkie unit that is a mere £6.25 on their UK website (Boots are an UTTER Ripoff)

It also received one star rating from almost everyone that buys it.

You were both ripped of and got a complete piece of crap.

Refund and then never buy sh1te in boots again

Only walkie talkies Im seeing on either site are these for £12.50 / €16 https://www.boots.com/sitesearch?searchTerm=walkie%20talkie

Only walkie talkies Im seeing on either site are these for £12.50 / €16 https://www.boots.com/sitesearch?searchTerm=walkie%20talkie

they were "half price" (yeah right) on the UK site

• Registered Users Posts: 69,013 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm not sure there is any legislation or case law on refund value in case of offers like that. Each retailer works their own way currently. IKEA calculate down the value on the receipt of each item which can leave you with less than a replacement item costs for instance

Advertisement