Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House with Solar Panels and Oil- what type of showers?

• 11-11-2019 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

The house we moved into has solar panels and oil central heating. There are two broken electric showers (one in main bathroom and one in en suite). Currently we are using a shower head plugged into the bath for shower - which is pretty rubbish. When the solar panels are working they provide the hot water but otherwise we need to turn on central heating for the whole house to heat water for the shower.

Grateful for recommendations as to what type of showers we should replace the defunct electric showers with. Should we just upgrade with new electric showers? Or are there other showers which would utilise hot water from solar panels when available but when no solar panel heated water available can heat the water for the shower without the need to turn on the central heating for the whole house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Get one electric shower.

That way you aren't running the heating.

Is there no option to just heat the hot water though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The solar panels should do for 8 months of the year and more. If the oil can be isolated to heat the top of the cylinder, that would be the next cheapest option for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 canogadub

Unfortunately not - its a pretty old heating system. Eventually we will need to upgrade it but until we can afford to that it would be great to just be able to have proper showers that we can stand underneath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

canogadub wrote: »
    Unfortunately not - its a pretty old heating system. Eventually we will need to upgrade it but until we can afford to that it would be great to just be able to have proper showers that we can stand underneath.

Get a shower off the hot water if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

One electric shower for when you don't have hot water & one power shower off the solar is the perfect solution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

I thought you could get a combi type shower. I have solar which is no good in winter so then I need an electric. but having both in a 900mm shower is tight i reckon.

strandsman wrote:
    I thought you could get a combi type shower. I have solar which is no good in winter so then I need an electric. but having both in a 900mm shower is tight i reckon.

Put both on the same wall. One above the other. It will be no tighter with two than with one

ya just searching for a shower unit that will cater for water from solar tank in summer and a cold supply in winter. I would have thought that one would be on the market. If you had a hot/cold supply in and when theres insufficient hot water a heater in the shower kicks in!!

my oil boiler heats the water in the solar tank in the winter but is that expensive to heat water??

strandsman wrote:
    ya just searching for a shower unit that will cater for water from solar tank in summer and a cold supply in winter. I would have thought that one would be on the market. If you had a hot/cold supply in and when theres insufficient hot water a heater in the shower kicks in!!

The average lifespan of an electric shower is 10. The average lifespan of a cartridge shower/bar mixer is 20ish years. It wouldn't make sense to make a combo shower. It would be expensive & have a 10 year lifespan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Solar should give lots of hot water for at least 6 months of the year.
    The other 6 months will likely need heating to be on for some period each day anyway so should have a ready supply of water from the heating.
    Id fit power showers as you should have enough hot water.

Advertisement