Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will the body catch up with the mind?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Bohermeen Half Marathon

The little one was not well so didn’t get a decent nights sleep but I’m kinda use to it at this stage. Had my gear ready to go all very organised.

I had a target of 1.45 thought it was achievable and felt in good shape despite my reservations about Wednesday session felt it took a lot out of me and since I started running it was drilled into me taper, taper taper. So naturally I was a bit hesitant doing that session but as it wasn’t the main goal I just went with it.

I arrived

What time you run?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

OOnegative wrote: »
    What time you run?

Was on the phone so just saved it to edit on the computer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Super stuff and well ahead of target. Sets you up nicely for Cork(if it goes ahead).

OOnegative wrote: »
    Super stuff and well ahead of target. Sets you up nicely for Cork(if it goes ahead).

I was half expecting Bohermeen to be cancelled, at the rate races are getting cancelled I can’t see Cork going ahead.

So didn’t do a lot after week after the half about 15k total, last week did one run.

I was seriously considering not to continue with the Marathon training but now with the lockdown I guess that’s made my mind up.

So what’s next, after the marathon I was going to start 5-10k training plan but would be hard to do with the 2k and brief exercise. So will try and get out every day. Going to loose a bit of fitness but don’t want to start all over again.

Hopefully when this all ends I’ll start on a JD plan.

• Advertisement

Monday 30th:

Easy 5k @ 5.15 pace

Just an easy run nothing exciting about it, trying to make a routine getting out most days.

Tuesday 31st:

4 x (200i w/200jg + 200i w/200jg + 400i w/400jg)

I had a look at some of the sessions on a JD and there is some sessions I can do I had too cut the warm up/cool down.

Did the session along the motor way far less people at the time in the morning. The session went ok I wasn’t expecting to nail it. Target pace was 4.09 but hit around 4.30. Happy enough with the session honestly just happy to get out.

Wednesday 1st:

Easy 5k @ 5.56 pace

Found this hard probably to many layers on, I had a few times where people walking two abreast forcing me to go on the road when they could have walked one behind each other.

Will do a 5k time trial on Saturday just to see where the pace is at.

I’m targeting The Drogheda 10k and a few 5ks, if they go ahead next year.

Thursday 2nd

Rest

Friday 3rd

Rest

Saturday 4th

5k Time trial 25.36

Don’t really know what to think about this time I’m sure there is a better time but went out thinking I could hold 4.30 pace and I did for the first lap after that I just couldn’t hold that pace. I did the Midsummer 5k route all within the 2k radius. Will do this every Saturday and see how it goes.

Sunday 5th

Lsr 10.01km @ 5.54 pace

Not sure if this is considered a long run but didn’t want to be out for more than an hour, I had a odd run just for the life of me could not get into this run at all felt very sluggish only the last 3 k was ok. Just glad is was over to be honest.

Monday 6th

Rest

Tuesday 7th

10 x 100m hill repeats

Did about 3k warm up had a decent spot for the hill session I had the option of switching either side of the road so I could keep social distance and what is normally a quiet place was busier than normal so I was zig zagging across the road. Got a few odd looks as I went about my business I’ve passed plenty of Guards but never I ever got stopped on any run but still feel guilty getting out.

The session went well didn’t have a pace for the repeats just focused on form more than anything only issue I had was that during the recovery I walked down the hill I ended up stoping my watch as the distance was out a bit so wanted the start to be the same each time other wise I’d be starting off on a steep incline. Did a 2k cool down as well to finish off the session.

Tuesdays sessions will be a mix of interval and hill sessions and I’ll do tempo sessions on Thursdays, time trial on sat and longish run Sunday hopefully it will keep me ticking over.

27th April

I’m lost just can’t seem to get my self motivated at all, should be doing Cork next week. Did about 20k last week only decent session was 5 x 1k repeats only to have my garmin to go haywire on me had to do a full reset on it.

All I can say it was a hard session and felt every bit of.

With the restrictions in place I’m finding my self going a lot faster to get more kms done especially the long run on Sunday and I’m feeling the strain. So will try and just slow things down a bit and not worry about the distance.

7.01km @ 6.01 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

The midsummer route is a pretty tough 5k. Well the start of it is anyway , the last km is pretty sweet.

It’s hard to be motivated with no targets you should think about doing the next boards time trial.

28th April

100m hill repeats

Did this at a local park wasn’t exactly 100m uphill but was steep enough at the start. The quickest was 28s and the longest was 32s it was a tough session on the the grass but glad to get it done.

29th April

4K easy

Found this harder than it should have been as I took it slow enough. Tried to keep the heart rate low for most of the easy stuff.

30th April

Rest

1st May: 15 min Tempo

Original was going to do 5k tempo but wanted to keep it short and gradually build it up. Pace was 5.03, 4.49 and 5.16 struggled on the last one. Find it annoying that most people expect runners to just on the road to keep social distance why is it the elderly who will move out of your way. A elderly lady stoped with her dog to move out of my way but I went into a drive way to let her go bye.
    Then the look you get when I’m out running but then I get a weirder look because I have a neck scarf that I pull over my face any time I’m about to pass anyone yeah I’m just protecting my self no need to be alarmed. Rant over

2nd May: 7k @ 5.37 pace

Legs felt a lot better and pace reflected that, tired of doing the same routes so looking forward to extending the runs on Tuesday.

3rd May: long run 9.45km @ 6.17 pace

Getting out early for a lot of these runs abounding the heat but mostly just to avoid other people.

The effort for this was hard for the pace I was doing tried to keep the hr down but it was floating at 160 could have been the heat but the effort was way too hard.

Total for the week 39km

• Advertisement

4th May: Easy run 7.02km @ 6.16pace

Got out nice and early for this, took it nice and easy probably could have been a bit slower.

5th May: warm up 200r w/200jg rec + 200r w/200 jg rec + 400r w/400jg rec + cool down

I was tempted too do this along the river with the restrictions extended but decided not as is rather narrow so did it on the motor way as there is plenty of room

Kept most off the reps under 4.50 pace so happy enough with that.

6th May: Rest

7th May: Easy Run 6.01km @ 6.00 pace

Too quick really looking too keep these a little slower, try to keep the hr under 148 as I’m running 6 days to build up mileage.

8th May: 15 min @ t pace

Ooh this was hard really found the last 5mins hard but it was better than last week. Will keep this up untill I nail the session and then add another 5 mins.

9th May: Easy run 7.01 @ 5.26 pace

Far too quick but felt good and stuck with the pace.

10th May: long run 9.28km @ 6.28pace

Managed to keep this slow could have have been a little bit slower didn’t want to go over an hour.

43k for the week

5k-10k Training:

So decided to get back into a training plan, feel I could do with the structure and when races are back I should be at a decent fitness level.

I will be following a Jack Daniels plan as I like the plan it self also have got good results from them.

My main goal is a sub 20min 5k, I’m far off this but think it’s achievable if I invest the time in.

Phase 2
    Week 1:

Monday: Easy run with strides 6.58k

Really looking to keep these runs slow, ran down to a local park where they have a marked a football pitch so use this as a guide for the strides did 8 strides total and just ran back home.

Tuesday: easy run 5.01k @ 6.23 pace avg hr 151

Stepped outside and got a lovely smell of a fry not what you what doing a run on empty. Kept the run slow but need it to be a little bit slower.

Wednesday: 2 sets of 8 x 200r w/200 jg rec with 800m between sets.

Found this really hard session did this along the river didn’t hit all the targets but not in the best shape at the mo.

Total distance 10.58k

Took a week off from running as was back working and didn’t have the energy to get out at all, a lot had to be done to get everything right before opening.

Last week I just repeated the first week of the plan clocked up 44k. I’m also back cycling to work but the diet needs a bit work. Will try and update the log after each session.

Week 2

Monday 1st: easy day + 10 strides

8.24k @ 6.11 pace

Out early for this had planed to do 3k then do the strides, found a nice area for the strides a small park with 300m tarmac path and grass if any other people are in the park. Did 100m strides with 30s recovery. Took the run easy enough run was a little bit quicker than I would have liked.

Tuesday 2nd: 2e + 4 sets of (200r +200jg + 200r + 200jg + 400r + 400jg) + cool down

Out late for this but was still was very warm headed down to the river for the 2 miles, plenty of people along the river to avoid. Didn't hit my targets but didn't expect to. Nearly choked on bloody flies had people looking at me be causing I was coughing so much!!

Wednesday 3rd: easy day + 8 strides

What a change in the weather out early for this, 4k done and did the strides in the park which I had to my self. Found the strides took a bit out of me so took the rest of the run very easy as was a bit sore from yesterdays session.

8.07k @ 6.31 pace

I was thinking about doing the virtual 5k next week might keep me motivated.

Thursday 4th:

Rest

Friday 5th: 2e + 3 x 1t + 6 x 200r w/200jg + cool down

Headed down to the river for the mile repeats, I had planned to all the way to old bridge but after the weather the border walk would be slippy so just done them along the river.

First mile: 4.50 Found this hard against the wind but happy with the pace
    Second mile 4.44 With the wind on this pace was a bit quicker
    Third mile 4.55 Hard to Keep the pace when I finished felt a bit sick afterwards

For the 200s splits where ok nothing great I was just happy to get it done but happy with the mile repeats.

Saturday 6th: easy run with 8 strides

Got out before work ran down to the local park and did the strides along a football pitch and just ran back home didn't have time to do more so only got 5k done.

Sunday 7th lsr 12.95k

Took this slow as the legs where tired and heavy, looking forward to getting longer runs done next week. So did 58km this week happy with this. Will look to cut down the days running as the main session increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Thursday 4th:

Rest

Friday 5th: 2e + 3 x 1t + 6 x 200r w/200jg + cool down

Headed down to the river for the mile repeats, I had planned to all the way to old bridge but after the weather the border walk would be slippy so just done them along the river.

First mile: 4.50 Found this hard against the wind but happy with the pace
    Second mile 4.44 With the wind on this pace was a bit quicker
    Third mile 4.55 Hard to Keep the pace when I finished felt a bit sick afterwards

For the 200s splits where ok nothing great I was just happy to get it done but happy with the mile repeats.

I see 3 scenarios;

(1) You ran these mile repeats but mis-typed the 1st digit 4.5x
    (2) This is showing KM pace for the mile??
    (3) You have progress fantastically in last few weeks running 3 sub 5 min miles back to back :)

I see 3 scenarios;

(1) You ran these mile repeats but mis-typed the 1st digit 4.5x
    (2) This is showing KM pace for the mile??
    (3) You have progress fantastically in last few weeks running 3 sub 5 min miles back to back :)

unfortunately its no. 2

After the last session I picked up a niggle, normally Id brush it off but for some reason It was bothering me so took off a week Just waking down stairs could notice the niggle so had to take a further week off. For the last two weeks I have been back doing easy runs two 5ks and one 10k. Thankfully niggles have gone.

With my gym open now looking forward to getting strength work done, I don't feel as strong with out the strength work in place so will continue doing easy runs for this month don't want to force the training.

Advertisement