Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ellen Show (and controversy)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

She's a seriously sick individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Space Dog wrote: »
    There's also a clip where Ellen was trying to make Mariah Carey admit that she was pregnant when she clearly didn't want to discuss it. She even poured her a glass of champagne to coax her into revealing the news. Who does that? It's something I'd expect a villain in a TV soap to do...

She didn't want to discuss it because she was afraid she was going to miscarriage - which she did a few weeks after this!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Not really understanding how people are shocked that someone who rises to the top in a bitchy, self-obsessed industry is bitchy and self-obsessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

spurious wrote: »
    Not really understanding how people are shocked that someone who rises to the top in a bitchy, self-obsessed industry is bitchy and self-obsessed.

Her schtick was / is to be nice to one another. It was a sickeningly saccharin MO but it made her the most popular afternoon show host in the USA after Oprah. When it comes out that she's not so nice after all it's always gonna be news.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

coolbeans wrote: »
    Her schtick was / is to be nice to one another. It was a sickeningly saccharin MO but it made her the most popular afternoon show host in the USA after Oprah. When it comes out that she's not so nice after all it's always gonna be news.

That made it all the more suspect i thought. Easy to be generous and nice on a show where 'our friends at XYZ' sponsor all the gifts.
    I have a friend in NO who went to school with her. She was always surprised at how 'far' she had gone.

• Advertisement

coolbeans wrote: »

Exactly she preached "be kind" shiote and then is the opposite. That Mariah video was disgusting and the very opposite of what she is preaching about.

Oh ain't I great handing out $10000 and $20000 cheques. No you're not Ellen, you are a fraud and tnk fu5k you've finally been exposed.

Hopefully Tubridy will stop this kindness carp now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I liked her before she came out...

https://filmdaily.co/news/ellen-show-audience/

What a mean contemptible person, absolute horror of a human being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Jeepers, you would swear she was Genghis Khan reading this thread. All hearsay and innuendo so far. Some just can't wait to pull seemly successful people down.

There are very few workplaces without a few cnuts in them. Fair play to Ellen for saying her name "is on the show" she taking responsibility for everything that they do.

Anytime I stumble across a clip of this lighthearted show, the audience seem to be having a genuine blast. The content is mostly tongue in cheek, kinda like Graham Norton, and very easy to take out of context.

• Advertisement

She tells everyone to "be Kind to one another" at the end of every show. That's her mantra. If you watch the video of her with Mariah Carey, it's not kind rather nasty instead.

Also were she calls out the woman in the audience for taken extra stuff is nasty. She's getting pleasure in doing this and that is not "Kind".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I wouldn't like to be a daddy longlegs stuck in her house that's for sure,or a worm on a lawn...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

One thing I think is a bit ridiculous is that tweet of hers that was taken out of context. I didn't see the actual tweet, just the headlines filled with outrage that she said being stuck in quarantine in was like "being in prison".

When I read the full tweet, that was clearly just a set-up to a joke that it was like prison, because she'd worn the same clothes for 10 days straight, and everyone is gay. Which I think is pretty funny :pac: People do get angry over literally anything these days. Especially on Twitter.

It doesn't sound like a very nice atmosphere on her show, and some of those stunts she's pulled are just plain mean, especially the Mariah one, but that doesn't mean she's an absolute ogre of nastiness. Just the usual fake Hollywood bullsh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Three producers have parted ways with the show (Fired) confirmed by Ellen in a video staff meeting as she overhauls the show while an internal investigation is underway.

Maybe an independent investigation might be better as the claims again Ellen are very serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭mada999

unhappys10 wrote: »
    I can't stand that prik and felt that way from the minute I set eyes on him.

+1000000000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I got 4 mins in, Jesus this woman is annoying.

At least it “only” lasted seven minutes (I didn’t make it all the way either). Ryan’s can last twenty minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I saw a little bit of one of her covid shows on RTE... Without an audience to laugh along, it is painfully unfunny. Nobody to laugh up her jokes that all fall flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭rightmove

It pains me to defend an obscenely wealthy celebrity – but could we lay off Ellen DeGeneres?

guess who published this one. ...yes birds of a feather....the guardian

Ellen DeGeneres Loses 1 Million Viewers After Apologies for Toxic Workplace

“The Ellen DeGeneres Show,” a sturdy daytime hit, has had a steep ratings decline since the host addressed accusations by former staff members that led to firings and an internal investigation.
    When Ellen DeGeneres returned from a summer hiatus to open the 18th season of her daytime talk show in September, she came armed with an apology. “I learned that things happen here that never should have happened,” she said. “I take that very seriously. And I want to say I am so sorry to the people who were affected.” Those remarks came in the wake of reports of workplace misconduct at “The Ellen DeGeneres Show.”

Viewers tuned in for the apology: This year’s season opener had the highest ratings for an “Ellen” premiere in four years. And then they tuned out. “Ellen” has lost more than a million viewers since September, according to the research firm Nielsen, averaging 1.5 million viewers over the last six months, down from 2.6 million in the same period last year....

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/22/business/media/ellen-degeneres-ratings-decline.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

The show will finish next year the rating tanked in the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,291 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ellen DeGeneres is ending her talk show after 19 seasons

Didn't think when I started this thread that we'd be seeing the end of this show so quickly. This is absolute brilliant news and as I always said beware of people who say "be kind to one another".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Well she is close to retirement age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Good riddance.
    Hiring Non union staff.
    A seriously horrible culture backstage in her show.
    Pulling the poor me (it's like a prison) in a multi million mansion...
    The plummeting ratings were probably main factor though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's not a challenge for her anymore apparently, although keeping the ratings seemed to be.

https://twitter.com/TribLIVE/status/1392592923640967172

Sounds like she's gone full blown Partridge here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It's not a challenge for her anymore apparently, although keeping the ratings seemed to be.

She’ll bounce back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Hell of an ego at work.

Advertisement