Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning Bike in Winter, Why Bother!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

D3V!L wrote: »
    It's in the manual right after the page where it says you can't wave at beamer drivers ;)

Who waves anyway, can you imagine car drivers all waving at each other LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

zubair wrote: »

Not me anyway, dont want to invalidate my warranty

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You don't wave at other car drivers ! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Im assuming he meant BMW bikes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not me anyway, dont want to invalidate my warranty

KTM, eh ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Don't want to clean your bike? Solution - leave it in the garage on a trickle charger and wait for a dry day - simples!

H_Lime wrote: »
    What bikes have you guys owned whos finish weathered the winters well, and which bikes not so well?

I can only speak for my 4 bikes

2005 Kawasaki ZXR 1200R
    2015 Ducati Monster 821
    2016 Triumph Thruxton R
    2017 Triumph T120

The Triumphs are hard work to keep right - unprotected aluminium engine casings in particular - they need regular polishing even if you never take them out of the garage in the rain which I don't. Any bike with lots of chrome forget them for winter use.
    The Kawasaki is more durable and has some alloy surfaces which need regular polishing but it is a pig of a bike to clean. But then I am the cotton bud type of ocd cleaner. Cleaning a bike for me can take two days.
    Unbelievably its the Ducati that has the most durable surfaces and is easiest to clean but I don't need a bike as regular transport so they are all garage queens.

Any bandit v hornet owners comment?
    Gsxr v blade?
    Duke v aprilia?
    Cagiva v mv lol?

Bandits are pretty durable. I had a 600 a few years back but then it was always stored in a garage when not in use. I have seen some engine casing corrosion on some older models but I am sure the black engines on 1200's would be ok

Don't want to clean your bike? Solution - leave it in the garage on a trickle charger and wait for a dry day - simples!

I'd rather get it dirty :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Genuine Muck Off if fantastic stuff. None corrosive. Every 2 weeks. Keep you from looking like a dirty animal.

• Advertisement

Genuine Muck Off if fantastic stuff. None corrosive. Every 2 weeks. Keep you from looking like a dirty animal.

I use muck off as a pre cleaner. Are you spraying it on and then rinsing the bike? No scrubbing?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Honestly dont know how anyone can recommend the gear which is odd as it clearly has a following.
    Ive even used in solution of less concentration and it still reduces the shine of any finish it touched. God help ya if it gets on matt or satin finishes.
    Alfa, your a cleaning wizard, do you use it? Am i missing a yrick?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Any bandit v hornet owners comment?
    Gsxr v blade? Blade
    Duke v aprilia? Aprilia
    Cagiva v mv lol? Cagiva
    ;)

Aprilias seem to fare better than most.
    Better than my Zzr by far.

If the roads are wet or dirty I give a quick hose down and dry with towel when I get home.
    About 5 to 10min job max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

As for finishes and how they wear over time...

- VFRs (especially the late 750s and early 800s) are exceptionally well finished. Mine is over 90,000 miles, been through all sorts, and it's still looking very fresh.
    - Bandits tend to need a bit of care, they were built to a price. Solid engines and chassis parts but the paintwork etc needs care (at least the 90s ones did).
    - Deauvilles tend to hold up alright if you keep them relatively clean although exhausts on the 650 will eventually rust through and look manky. Stainless from the factory on the 700 so not an issue but you do need to keep an eye on the rear swingarm and driveshaft as salt will eventually make that steel look manky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jaimeteddy

I think cleaning a bike is easier than cleaning a motorbike or car. You only need to spend 5 minutes to clean it.

Jaimeteddy wrote: »
    I think cleaning a bike is easier than cleaning a motorbike or car. You only need to spend 5 minutes to clean it.

Sure and cleaning a hot air balloon takes even longer.

Jaimeteddy wrote: »

What bike takes you 5 minutes to clean ?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

What bike takes you 5 minutes to clean ?

A push bike with a pressure washer I d guess...lol..

I clean and lube the chain every fortnight. The rest depends on the state of the bike.
    Almost daily powder check though.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breezin

MSVforever wrote: »
    I clean and lube the chain every fortnight. The rest depends on the state of the bike.
    Almost daily powder check though.
    Powder?

• Advertisement

Breezin wrote: »
    Thanks! New one on me ... and more important than cleaning.

Did you do an IBT? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Honestly dont know how anyone can recommend the gear which is odd as it clearly has a following.
    Ive even used in solution of less concentration and it still reduces the shine of any finish it touched. God help ya if it gets on matt or satin finishes.

Your leaving it on too long and only use when the bike is cold

ZX7R wrote: »

Not all pre cleaners are equal. Muck off is the best of them, avoid avoid avoid the halfords one, they have good own brand products but this isn't one of them. I would avoid putting it on the matt finishes anyway, I leave it on for just 3 minutes and it does soften up the grime in that time so no need to leave it on any longer.

OK, I'm feeling inspired to give it a scrub tomorrow...lets see how long my motivation lasts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Not all pre cleaners are equal. Muck off is the best of them, avoid avoid avoid the halfords one, they have good own brand products but this isn't one of them. I would avoid putting it on the matt finishes anyway, I leave it on for just 3 minutes and it does soften up the grime in that time so no need to leave it on any longer.

OK, I'm feeling inspired to give it a scrub tomorrow...lets see how long my motivation lasts though.

3 minutes is perfect also don't let it dry .
    Summer washing I don't use it at all

Did you do an IBT? Lol
    Yes, I did, lol. On one of these...

https://images.app.goo.gl/bBKhJkYZJtBibb5y7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

Cleaning Bike in Winter, Why Bother!

Indeed, sure it's the dirt that's holding it together, but more importantly...where's your question mark? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭H_Lime

ZX7R wrote: »

Possibly guilty as charged with the bike being hot the odd time, must stop that.
    Never leave it on for even the recommend amount of time though. Either way I've been stung by it a few times so it will remain on the shelf and will use it for the car etc.

• Advertisement

I've been using SDOC for years. If I've driven on a road with salt I'll hose down the bike with the SDOC with a foam lance and then wash it off with cold water.

Haven't had any problems with rust or corrosion.

Advertisement