Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Octavia or I40

• 11-11-2019 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been looking at upgrading my car.

Both the Octavia and the I40 are on my wish list.

Have taken both for test drives. I'm still not sure which way to go.

Any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I40 is from the segment above the Octavia, but I would say the Octavia is the better of the two cars.
    If going diesel (which you must be of looking at i40) then get the 2.0 over the 1.6.

If comparing saloon i40 with hatchback Octavia, the Skoda has a bigger boot and has a huge advantage because it’s a hatchback.

If comparing estates, the Octavia still has a bigger boot.

Legroom and headroom would be quite similar between the two, despite the Octavia being around 4” shorter. the Hyundai probably has a slightly wider cabin but exterior width is the same so there mightn’t be anything in it.

I would say that refinement would be roughly the same, neither are class leading.

Technology on the Skoda would be ahead of the Hyundai, but the i40 is quite well equipped on the majority of models.

They would both be kinda similar to drive (1.6 Skoda vs 1.7 Hyundai) but the 2.0 on the Octavia is far superior to the 1.7 on the Hyundai.
    The Octavia is on the VW MQB platform which means it’s around 300kg lighter than the Hyundai without feeling any worse for it. This translates to better performance and economy.

While the Octavia is automotive white goods, it’s just more pleasant and well thought out than the i40. Because the i40 is perceived as a Garda car or a rental car, it’s not desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I40 is from the segment above the Octavia, but I would say the Octavia is the better of the two cars.
    If going diesel (which you must be of looking at i40) then get the 2.0 over the 1.6.

If comparing saloon i40 with hatchback Octavia, the Skoda has a bigger boot and has a huge advantage because it’s a hatchback.

If comparing estates, the Octavia still has a bigger boot.

Legroom and headroom would be quite similar between the two, the Hyundai probably has a slightly wider cabin but exterior width is the same so there mightn’t be anything in it.

I would say that refinement would be roughly the same, neither are class leading.

Technology on the Skoda would be ahead of the Hyundai, but the i40 is quite well equipped on the majority of models.

They would both be kinda similar to drive (1.6 Skoda vs 1.7 Hyundai) but the 2.0 on the Octavia is far superior to the 1.7 on the Hyundai.

Is the octavia at the end of its life cycle in this model. I remember they were pushing the added extras at no extra cost recently....always a sign

New Octavia will be revealed in the coming days. Current model is out 7 years. I40 is a year older.

I assumed the OP was looking at used cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭CarrieDzzz

Looking at Used in and around 2015 cars. Was looking at 1.6 or 1.7.

Thanks for you comments.

I bought a 2015 Octavia 2.0 estate from the UK a few months ago.

The 1.6 is only 5 speed and the 2.0 is 6 speed. I would say the 2.0 is easily as economical. Think tax on mine is €180

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Kia Optima is a nicer alternative to the i40, both cars are mechanically the same, though the Optima feels more upmarket, has the higher bhp version of the 1.7 diesel engine as standard over the i40 and isn't a Garda car. Watch out for failing clutches on both as they are a weak point in Hyundais/Kias with that 1.7 litre engine. I'd have the Octavia over the i40 every time though as it still feels more modern than the i40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

colm_mcm wrote: »
    New Octavia will be revealed in the coming days. Current model is out 7 years. I40 is a year older.

I assumed the OP was looking at used cars.

It was revealed today

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2020-skoda-octavia-ups-ante-plug-hybrid-and-more-tech#comment-315149

Much nicer than the current MK 3.5 model.

@OP You could hold out and get the new model when it come out. Otherwise the Optima is good choice as a poster above says or the Peugeot 508 is gorgeous and well worth checking out.

Opel Insignia and Ford Mondeo are two others you could check.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I’ve been driving Octavia’s for the last 5ish years and i40’s with work for quite some time. Octavia wins hands down all day every day. Try and get the 2.0 Octavia, good bit of poke, much rommier in the inside as well

Advertisement