Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin house prices

Options
  • 11-11-2019 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Are house prices likely to fall in the next while?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not a great indicator but MyHome have a price changes page on their website to give an idea what the market is like probably more so overvalued houses decreasing mind you.

https://www.myhome.ie/pricechanges/dublin

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The mid to high end of the market is pretty stagnant, with some significant price drops, as a lot of people are waiting to see what effect Brexit has, but there's also a shortage of people able to get mortgages of that size thanks to the stricter rules. Anecdotal, but two houses near me for been on the market for ages, one is sale agreed with the seller terrified that the buyer will pull out, and the other hasn't had any offers despite price drops.

The lower end of the market seems to be doing better, presumably because more people meet the requirements for a mortgage.

At the end of the day though, there's still a massive shortage of houses in the Dublin region, and that isn't going to change any time soon. Even a recession, so long as it isn't as systemic as the last one(i.e. banks going bust), isn't going to change that central fact.

You'd probably get a better answer on the Accommodation and Property forum, I'm in no way an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Idonotknow

CatInABox wrote: »
    The mid to high end of the market is pretty stagnant, with some significant price drops, as a lot of people are waiting to see what effect Brexit has, but there's also a shortage of people able to get mortgages of that size thanks to the stricter rules. Anecdotal, but two houses near me for been on the market for ages, one is sale agreed with the seller terrified that the buyer will pull out, and the other hasn't had any offers despite price drops.

The lower end of the market seems to be doing better, presumably because more people meet the requirements for a mortgage.

At the end of the day though, there's still a massive shortage of houses in the Dublin region, and that isn't going to change any time soon. Even a recession, so long as it isn't as systemic as the last one(i.e. banks going bust), isn't going to change that central fact.

You'd probably get a better answer on the Accommodation and Property forum, I'm in no way an expert.

What area were those houses in if you don’t mind me asking?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Idonotknow wrote: »
    What area were those houses in if you don’t mind me asking?

Clontarf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Price stagnation likley till late spring 2020. What happens next depends on Brexit outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ciaranmul

Idonotknow wrote: »
    Are house prices likely to fall in the next while?

Not according to this Instagram account :D

Advertisement