Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing test in your own car VS driving school car?

• 11-11-2019 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on which is better? Some people say do it in a driving school car because it's not your own car so you won't be comfortable and fall into any bad habits, but is that true?

Do testers like to see it because it means an aplicant has put time and effort into their test?

I was initially going to hire my instructors car for my test but was driving my own car today and realised I just feel more comfortable in it as it has a digital speedometer which I like better than a traditional speedo. I'm going to speak to my instructor on lesson later on and see what she thinks but looking for different opinions also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Any opinions on which is better? Some people say do it in a driving school car because it's not your own car so you won't be comfortable and fall into any bad habits, but is that true?

Do testers like to see it because it means an aplicant has put time and effort into their test?

I was initially going to hire my instructors car for my test but was driving my own car today and realised I just feel more comfortable in it as it has a digital speedometer which I like better than a traditional speedo. I'm going to speak to my instructor on lesson later on and see what she thinks but looking for different opinions also.

I'd personally recommend doing it in your own car, especially if that is the one that you feel the most comfortable in. Just make sure whenever you are driving in your own car that you are engaging in all the techniques and routines they want to see in the test (i.e. MSMM routine, apply the handbrake when stopped for a period over 3 seconds etc etc).

Also, with dual controls, the tester will more likely be able to see exactly how you are using the clutch etc, which makes the test feel slightly more daunting imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Looks like I might not have a choice either way ha... another student has her test the same day just after mine and has already booked the instructor for pre-test and car hire that morning. She's going to ask a colleague if they're available but otherwise it's a pre-test the day before and my own car on the test day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Looks like I might not have a choice either way ha... another student has her test the same day just after mine and has already booked the instructor for pre-test and car hire that morning. She's going to ask a colleague if they're available but otherwise it's a pre-test the day before and my own car on the test day.

Do it your own car. Some testers will jump on the dual controls (and automatic fail) if they're there while you can get the benefit of the doubt if that facility isn't available to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

As an instructor I always recommend that pupils drive the car that a) they’re comfortable in and b) they drive better. Normally, that’s their own but occasionally it’s mine.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I did it in the instructors car, but i'd absolutely say do it in your own if you can. I was fine doing it in his car, but if insurance hadn't been nearly 3.5k as a provisional driver, i would have been far more comfortable in my own.

And don't underestimate how much of a difference that can make. I'd say 50% (probably more) of people fail because of nerves...so do anything you can to lessen them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement