Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring for external lighting

Options
  • 11-11-2019 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

If you have wiring for an external light is that standard for all types of wired external lighting you might connect to it, or is there more than one type?

I.e.: If I have an external light, can I remove it and replace it with any other external light, or do different ones need different wiring set up?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,862 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Standard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Twister2

For domestic the only thing you might want to watch is there a CPC (earth) if the wiring is older

Commercial lighting you might have permanent feeds or controls associated with the lighting but not for a house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

There is no earth cable - just two cables. Does this limit what lights I can install? How do I know if a light requires an earth cable or not?

edit - I need class 2 double insulated fittings only and not class 1 earthed. Right..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

There is a second fixture that is out of reach until I get a longer ladder. I see two shielded cables coming from it. Does that mean there is no earth, or could one of the cables contain two cables inside it?
    It looks like a standard metal halogen floodlight so I think it *should* be earthed, but there are a few things here that are not in line with regulations/common sense.

Advertisement