Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais - if it wasn't legit, you'd be wondering

Options
  • 11-11-2019 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭

I got a Hive installation done on Friday. I wasn't asked about how I would be paying for it at the time, by the installer. I just got a phone call from an anonymous "Private Number". I let it ring out. The second time, I answered it. It was Bord Gais wondering about when I would be paying the €299 for the Hive service. I explained that I thought I would receive an invoice for it, like I usually do. The guy on the phone said that I would have to pay for it now. Fair enough said I. He said he would transfer me to someone to take the payment. Left hanging on the line for 6 minutes. Then he comes back, and said that someone would ring me in a minute, if I hung up....which I did. Then this Cork number appears....and a girl says she was ready to take payment. Rather than having me call out the card details, she asked me to put in a series of numbers into the phone, and then type in the card details using the keypad. At the end she gave me a confirmation code. After finishing the call, I was a bit worried. It actually comes across like it COULD be a scam. I am going to clear the account just in case!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Sounds like a poor system.. (yet believable!), why not just ring Bord Gais and confirm rather than 'clear your account'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Doop wrote: »
    Sounds like a poor system.. (yet believable!), why not just ring Bord Gais and confirm rather than 'clear your account'?

yeah. Think I will do that (as well)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

The hive was free for me only a few months ago from bord gais.
    I've seen that kind of payment system before it's pretty normal for data protection so the person on the phone doesn't get your number.

iamtony wrote: »
    The hive was free for me only a few months ago from bord gais.
    I've seen that kind of payment system before it's pretty normal for data protection so the person on the phone doesn't get your number.

Did you switch over to Bord Gais to get the free Hive? My brother got it for free. He had a Bord Gais bloke at the door flogging the Hive, and he is a Bord Gais customer as well. He told him, no, and then yer man doubles back and says he will hook it up for free. He disconnected him as a Bord Gais customer at the door and he reconnected him as a "new" customer on the spot. That to me sounds dodgy. Yer man will be an ex-employee of Bord Gais before too long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Sounds very dodgy.

• Advertisement

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Did you switch over to Bord Gais to get the free Hive? My brother got it for free. He had a Bord Gais bloke at the door flogging the Hive, and he is a Bord Gais customer as well. He told him, no, and then yer man doubles back and says he will hook it up for free. He disconnected him as a Bord Gais customer at the door and he reconnected him as a "new" customer on the spot. That to me sounds dodgy. Yer man will be an ex-employee of Bord Gais before too long
    yes it was something similar the guy knocked on the door and I was already a bord gais customer so he did some messing and I got if for free.

iamtony wrote: »
    yes it was something similar the guy knocked on the door and I was already a bord gais customer so he did some messing and I got if for free.

I'm annoyed now

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I'm annoyed now

Sorry:pac:

Advertisement