Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7S First Impressions

Options
  • 11-11-2019 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭

Took the plunge and got a ZGemma H7S from WoS with openATV 6.3 pre-installed. I got this as a secondary box so my expectations are not as strict as they would be for a primary unit.

First Impressions:-
    The manual makes a good attempt to cover the basics. However the screenshots are too small and dark to be helpful. Naturally, being a man, I didn't read it in any detail :)
    Inside there are two identical power sockets for the HDD. A closer look shows one is 3V and the other the conventional 5V/12V. Confusingly the crude diagram shows them using the 3V socket. I didn't risk trying it.

Setup is the standard openATV wizard for language, timezone, network, initial tuner config and auto scan. The manual also explains things like setting preferred audio etc.
    The OS found the HDD without a problem but I didn't find any mention of initialising the HDD in the manual.

CrossEPG and CoolTvGuide plugins will need to be installed and your skin of choice. I never liked the default metrix.

I had backups of my existing bouquets so cheated installing them.

Channel switching is more or less instant as you would expect for the processor and ram size. Picture quality is OK even on crappy Saorview. Not the best I've seen but OK for most viewers.

Downsides:-
    The front display includes a very large bright "A" shaped Zgemma logo. I can't find how to disable or dim this although you can dim the rest of the display. I think a piece of tape is required. The rest shows only the time or channel number. There doesn't seem to be an option to show the channel name. That will take getting used to.

Source:- I got mine from WoS for £125GBP inc 2 day shipping. Ordered Thur night with openATV installed. Courier arrived 11am Monday. Image is dated last Friday, so literally hot of the press.

I already had a 120GB SSD knocking around which should be more than enough for normal use.

All in all, you get what you pay for. A budget 4K triple tuner box with reasonable performance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The front display includes a very large bright "A" shaped Zgemma logo. I can't find how to disable or dim this although you can dim the rest of the display. I think a piece of tape is required. The rest shows only the time or channel number. There doesn't seem to be an option to show the channel name. That will take getting used to.

I did some limited snooping to see if this can be changed, as far as I could tell it can't. If you come across something that would help, please shout, be great to fix this.

One other thing I have noticed with the front display - the time stops if a recording starts, and will stay at that time until the recording ends and then it reverts to the current time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Sorry Im looking at a box now. Would you be able to post any images of the screen running? just to see what menu looks like etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

The appearance of menus etc is determined by whatever skin you have installed. The pics in NewClareMans thread for the Tiviar looks like the default "Metrix" skin or something similar. There are lots of skins available to suit your personal taste, some better than others. Changing or installing a skin is a simple task.

This is the "Vali HD Flex" skin

495080.png

495081.png

495082.png

and for the nerds :D

495083.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The appearance of menus etc is determined by whatever skin you have installed. The pics in NewClareMans thread for the Tiviar looks like the default "Metrix" skin or something similar. There are lots of skins available to suit your personal taste, some better than others. Changing or installing a skin is a simple task.

Ahh ok, so just buy a box and then get a skin!! sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭dubrov

Gerry, what would be your choice for a primary STB right now?

My primary is a VU+ Solo. Very pricey by comparison but you get what you pay for. Maybe it's the placebo effect but it just 'feels' more stable and better quality built all round. I got it as an early adaptor of 4K and paid ~€400 a few years back. Things like the mini screen on the front are handy but a bit over the top for most users.
    I'm told the Gigablue is comparable but don't have firsthand experience of them.
    In fairness most boxes with half-decent processors and RAM should suit most people. Most do a perfectly acceptable job and only give trouble when we "try to fix them" cough cough cough :) Older models like the Amiko Alien 2 were crippled by under-powered processors and limited RAM. At the end of the day, Sat boxes are really mini PCs so the same thinking applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭dubrov

Thanks Gerry.
    I am happy to pay a premium for the main STB and it looks like VU+ are the most expensive with Gigablue just behind. Hardware specs seem to be comparable but the Gigablue is a good bit cheaper. Only experience I have of either is my Dad has a Gigablue HD Quad plus which I setup and haven't had to touch it since.

I might try and pick up the Ultimo 4k or the Gigablue UHD 4k second hand if one becomes available. I will report back on on how they run after a few months.

I actually quite enjoy the tinkering on the Enigma2 boxes but I agree, its the tinkering that usually breaks things. I just can't help myself though :)

Yeah I regularly warn people, these things are addictive :). When I got the VU+, the Gigablue was "coming next month" for almost a year. I got fed up in the end and bit the bullet price wise. I don't regret it though. The VU+ is bomb proof.

Apart from the front panel, what is the main difference between the high end box and a H7S?

• Advertisement

Better quality components???

Better quality components???

I suppose what I meant was - from the user's point of view, how are they better? Or is the extra money for longer life?

To be honest I'm asking myself the same question. So far the ZGemma is doing everything I want. (thats put the curse on it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yeah I regularly warn people, these things are addictive :). When I got the VU+, the Gigablue was "coming next month" for almost a year. I got fed up in the end and bit the bullet price wise. I don't regret it though. The VU+ is bomb proof.

What exact model vu plus should I be looking at gerry and what do I need to have saorvoew and satellite ?

Thanks

The Vu+ Solo4k is the model I have but there are other equally good boxes out there now. For Saorview you will need an aerial preferably outdoors or in some cases in the attic may suffice. Don't waste your money on any plug in super boosted set top aerial, they are a con. If you are in a strong signal area you might get away with an indoor set top aerial but they are not recommended. For the UK channels you will need a satellite dish pointed at 28 east with either a twin or quad output LNB ( the yoke on the dish arm) An old Sky dish would suffice as long as it wasn't Sky Q. Sky Q uses a different LNB. Satellite needs 2 feeds from the dish so you can record on one while viewing with the other. Thus the need for twin or quad outputs.

The Vu+ Solo4k is the model I have but there are other equally good boxes out there now. For Saorview you will need an aerial preferably outdoors or in some cases in the attic may suffice. Don't waste your money on any plug in super boosted set top aerial, they are a con. If you are in a strong signal area you might get away with an indoor set top aerial but they are not recommended. For the UK channels you will need a satellite dish pointed at 28 east with either a twin or quad output LNB ( the yoke on the dish arm) An old Sky dish would suffice as long as it wasn't Sky Q. Sky Q uses a different LNB. Satellite needs 2 feeds from the dish so you can record on one while viewing with the other. Thus the need for twin or quad outputs.

Thanks we have an unusual set up here it’s a small estate with a communal dish and saorview aerial over fibre optic cable so I’m sorted on that front.

But that box can tune both correct ? Is there any benefit to the 4K apart from future proofing ? Are there any 4K transmissions?

At present there are no free 4k channels on 28E other than a demo. Chances are any future 4K will be subscription based. Even on the European sats, there are only a few 4k shopping channels, the Fashion Channel and NASA 4k (beautiful but soon gets repetitive)
    I know nothing about fibre setups so cant advise there. Sorry

At present there are no free 4k channels on 28E other than a demo. Chances are any future 4K will be subscription based. Even on the European sats, there are only a few 4k shopping channels, the Fashion Channel and NASA 4k (beautiful but soon gets repetitive)
    I know nothing about fibre setups so cant advise there. Sorry

Thanks I have figured out the fibre side myself it’s not terribly complicated you just need the right convertor for the particular set up

If there are no 4K transmissions is there any point in a 4K box?

There are other sources of 4K content such as Youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

This is the best bang for buck out there in my opinion.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/Octagon/octagon-sf8008

Includes KODI and stalker.

• Advertisement

Am I misreading it or is that a single DVB-S tuner?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Am I misreading it or is that a single DVB-S tuner?

The pic shows one of each DVB-S2 & DVB-C/T2

Thats what I thought. You're stuffed if you want to watch one sat channel while recording another

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thats what I thought. You're stuffed if you want to watch one sat channel while recording another

Same thing applies to Saorview channels on different mux.

I often wonder why this is not a consideration for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

They come in various configs. Combo or twin sat. They are not a triple or 4 tuner though. You could add a usb dvbt stick.

And Netflix. Albeit one that will require constant updating of the chromium browser.

The main advantage of all these 4k boxes is the h265 codec. Not a whole lot 4k content that wouldn't require a sub card.

Same thing applies to Saorview channels on different mux.

I often wonder why this is not a consideration for most people.

Chances are whatever is on mux 2 is also available on ITV in far better res

STB. wrote: »
    They come in various configs. Combo or twin sat. They are not a triple or 4 tuner though. You could add a usb dvbt stick.

And Netflix. Albeit one that will require constant updating of the chromium browser.

The main advantage of all these 4k boxes is the h265 codec. Not a whole lot 4k content that wouldn't require a sub card.

I'd sooner pay the extra £13 for the third internal tuner

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭soram

Coincidence - I too took delivery of the H7S yesterday! My OS3+ kept crashing everyday or so overnight and nothing I did would solve it.
    The H7S looks pretty good at the moment though I don't want to tinker too much....

I also got OpenATV on it and would be interested to know what the best EPG data importer (Astra & Saorview only) would be. I put EPGImporter on it last night but is there something better?

I'd also like CoolTV if it didn't cause me any issues. I might try to put that on tonight.

soram wrote: »
    Coincidence - I too took delivery of the H7S yesterday! My OS3+ kept crashing everyday or so overnight and nothing I did would solve it.
    The H7S looks pretty good at the moment though I don't want to tinker too much....

I also got OpenATV on it and would be interested to know what the best EPG data importer (Astra & Saorview only) would be. I put EPGImporter on it last night but is there something better?

I'd also like CoolTV if it didn't cause me any issues. I might try to put that on tonight.

CrossEPG? That's what I use anyway, seems accurate with no obvious issues...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

UrbanFret wrote: »
    This is the best bang for buck out there in my opinion.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/Octagon/octagon-sf8008

Includes KODI and stalker.

Still not 100% on whether to buy this box here or the zgemma h7s is there much of a difference? Mainly just want Saorview and Freeview and maybe iptv, don't care that much about recording stuff.

Advertisement