Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zgemma H7S First Impressions

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

dulpit wrote: »
    Im using the Pure2 image on my H7S, I've noticed that the default audio output is (when available) audio description, I keep having to switch it to the normal audio. Any ideas how to switch the default?

Dont know about pure2 but normally under audio settings you can change the preferred language to ENG (english)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Easygoin

Ive came across this in lock down .Ive had a h7s for few of years now ,and while they have a few niggles, for the money I cannot complain
    Im a big fan of triple tuner and when Edision dropped their OS Mega ,This has been my main (H7s) ,,bit wary at first ,I have to say but once u get used to its Quirks ,very good .Ive played around with skins but it crashed ,so after re-flash Ive stuck with generic .Also re flashed from ATV to OpenPli ,, for me it works ,steady and reliable . The commentary comes back after a re-flash and even though I change settings to "English" and prefer AC3 , it take's a while to disappear (That's one Quirk).
    One thing I had to change was the remote , one supplied is very narrow beam (?) and while I hadn't any bother changing channels ,it drove the missus bonkers .
    Something ye might find useful , my little one has special needs and a built in homing bacon for indoor Ariel ,,so I got a Quad LNB with built in dip-lexer .One Saorview Ariel outside (beside dish),Saoirview is piggybacked on ALL sat cables ,split-er before STB and you have RTE on every sat TV .
    Picture is better than any box Ive had previously ,, never went to VU ,too expensive for me but I believe this is value for money ,,I even bought one for my Mother ,as she gets confused with a lot of remotes ,,so I have saorview and free sat on one menu ,, epg is easy to navigate and record is a breeze .

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

Easygoin wrote: »
    One thing I had to change was the remote , one supplied is very narrow beam (?) and while I hadn't any bother changing channels ,it drove the missus bonkers .

I have the same issue and its really annoying. I had originally thought it was the receiver on the box that had a narrow angle, but I guess it could also be the remote that was supplied.

What remote replacement did you go for?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭cian_r

cian_r wrote: »
    I have the same issue and its really annoying. I had originally thought it was the receiver on the box that had a narrow angle, but I guess it could also be the remote that was supplied.

What remote replacement did you go for?

Just for anyone else with the same frustrations with the ZGemma H7S remote. I bought a Logitech Harmony 350 remote. It already had a profile in its database for the H7S, so it was just a case of configuration to get it working. No need for "learning" individual buttons (which I had tried to do with an old universal remote and had lots of problems getting it to learn from the H7S remote).

The harmony remote is working well now.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I've made great progress in setting this up, thanks. :-)

Anyone find their box intermittently freezes? Perhaps daily, but at no particular time, i'd see the screen is frozen, audio would still be going.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭emclau

I’ve the same issue also.. would love to know how easy it is to re image - software hasn’t been updated in a year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

emclau, it is very easy to re-flash the image using a usb stick when you know the steps. To get the best out of your box you should use the image Openvix, it comes loaded with pretty much with what you need. So as a start can you say what image is in the box already?

That box has a multiboot function which means you can have 4 different images loaded.

There is also a way to flash box online but I would suggest start with Openvix.

Say image and how techie are you re FTP etc.

In case anyone is interested, I was able to flash openvix via the openwebui web interface.

https://www.techkings.org/threads/flash-vix-via-command-line-from-the-creators-grogbuild-freerange-leading-the-way-to-simplicity.144800/

I wasn't able to do it via USB, and I tried loads of times!

Instructions were dead simple, only issue I had, was I didn't realise it was already setup for multiboot, so when asked what partition I wanted, I left it blank, and it did nothing.

You can store several images, as said above, so check which one is in use, and select another one to write to.

I emailed world of satellite about my random freeze question, and they gave me an RMA code. Not sure is it a common issue that they just replace as a matter of cause, or if they RMA everything without troubleshooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭swoofer

With vix and multiboot you can go Menu, setup, vix,image manager, yellow button, and it downloads images that you can flash to box or it will search and if it finds nothing then no image.

Also if you do a long press on power button it brings up multiboot image selector and that will show you partitions free or full.

I have an AX61 box with 4 images.

You may already know all this but with different images you may find one that works with no freezes but I find VIX tops and easy.

• Advertisement

Minor update, after contacting world of satellite, and telling them of the freezes, they issued me an RMA code. I sent it back to them, and got a replacement. Did have to pay postage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭jones

My brother in law just got one of these boxes just wondering are they still good in 2023?

Still my daily driver and best bang for buck IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's old tech from 2017.

Unfortunately, the combo box options are still pretty much the same since then, even more so if you are looking for 2 Sat, 1 terrestrial tuners.

There are better boxes but the H7S seems to be specced just enough to do what is needed for the Irish market. So still probably the best value box

Cheers for the reply. What box would be the next level up compared to it? I'm just trying to futureproof as much as i can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Provided you just want it for watching/recording satellite and saorview then there is no need to go for anything higher end in my experience. Yes it’s a few years old but still performs well.

Some of the newer boxes will run iptv better but won’t have 3 tuners or have an android partition but when you look in to the reality of that it’s not practical as for example your series link won’t record when you are in the android partition watching Netflix.

For now I think the best solution is Zgemma h7s and a separate android box (preferably running official android tv os)

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Advertisement

Agreed. You can easily pay twice as much for other brands with no significant improvement in performance or extra features.

Thanks folks much appreciated

Advertisement