Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a bad dose of the flu - work note will be required

Options
  • 11-11-2019 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Have had a rotten dose since Friday and have been off work.

After 2 days, my work place requires a doctor's note but I've always been told to stay away from the doctors when you have a flu as all you can do is wait it out and rest.

I'm still unfit to go in as I still have the chills, bad cough etc. Does anyone have any experience with something similar?

The hse advises to stay at home for 7 days on their website but the civil service requires me to see a doctor

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

GooglePlus wrote: »
    Have had a rotten dose since Friday and have been off work.

After 2 days, my work place requires a doctor's note but I've always been told to stay away from the doctors when you have a flu as all you can do is wait it out and rest.

I'm still unfit to go in as I still have the chills, bad cough etc. Does anyone have any experience with something similar?

The hse advises to stay at home for 7 days on their website but the civil service requires me to see a doctor

The doctor will already have the flu shot so you don’t need to worry about that but you will need to go to him for a cert. It’s very straightforward and you will likely get the week off - which will give your workplace a timeframe for our return and you time to get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

The doctor will already have the flu shot so you don’t need to worry about that but you will need to go to him for a cert. It’s very straightforward and you will likely get the week off - which will give your workplace a timeframe for our return and you time to get better.

Thanks, it's probably best off I go in for the cert at least.

It's either that or lose the pay, just looking at my option there on the office circular!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

Get the note to include the weekend as they count those days towards your uncertified sick leave if you were off Friday and Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

See if Videodoc et al do sick carts.

EB_2013 wrote: »
    Get the note to include the weekend as they count those days towards your uncertified sick leave if you were off Friday and Monday.

Yeah I'll ask them to back date from Friday.

That whole weekend craic is ridiculous, it's mad that they can potentially deduct pay for someone being sick over the weekend.

I've booked the appointment, now it's just a matter of pulling myself up and making it in!

• Advertisement

See if Videodoc et al do sick carts.

That would be ideal but I just imagine there being an issue with a video doc cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

That would be ideal but I just imagine there being an issue with a video doc cert.

Your boss sucks. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Health insurance providers with telemedicine service will do a sick note for flu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

The advice to stay away from the doctor if you are sick for fear of transmitting the infection is ridiculous. If you need to see a dr, see a Dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭ebbsy

And get the flu jab when you are better OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Call your doctor and explain. They may give you the note without seeing you and someone can pick up the note for you. Headcold or flulike symptoms etc.

You will not be deducted pay for the weekend but the note must cover the Friday. It will say something like from Friday 8th to Friday 15th inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

The flu shot is formulated months in advance of flu season. It is an educated guess at what strains will dominate during winter. It is not a cast-iron guarantee of not getting the flu.
    Wesser wrote:
    The advice to stay away from the doctor if you are sick for fear of transmitting the infection is ridiculous. If you need to see a dr, see a Dr.

Why is it ridiculous? Seems pretty rational to me. There's nothing they can do for you if it's flu anyway - "Buy some Lemsip Max to treat the symptoms and stay in bed".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Yeah I'll ask them to back date from Friday.

That whole weekend craic is ridiculous, it's mad that they can potentially deduct pay for someone being sick over the weekend.

I've booked the appointment, now it's just a matter of pulling myself up and making it in!

You get paid for 7 days. Not 5.

Advertisement