Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine Broadband installers drilling holes in external walls of houses to secure lad

• 11-11-2019 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Has anybody had Imagine installers insist that they have to drill a hole in the external wall or ground (cement surface required) of your house in order to secure the ladder - as part of health and safety? Then fill the hole with silicone regardless of original finish? And take pictures of the property?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Yes, told them to fire ahead. I needed the install badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Yes, Sky installers also do this. The last one that came to our house forgot to and the supervisor drove past and saw it without, he was made do it there and then before the supervisor left. Can imagine he got into all sorts of trouble for it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bdsie2014

Thanks. Our house is airtight so not an option for us to undo that. Guess service providers are not obliged to leave property in the condition that they found it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

bdsie2014 wrote: »
    Thanks. Our house is airtight so not an option for us to undo that. Guess service providers are not obliged to leave property in the condition that they found it in.

In the case of an airtight house .. and if the installer was made aware of that .. the installer should have walked away and not commenced with the installation.

If the installer was not made aware ... your problem.

Sad story, but fact of life.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bdsie2014

Thanks. I said no. Time for service providers to upgrade their equipment so the onus is not on the client. Thanks for the comments.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

bdsie2014 wrote: »
    Time for service providers to upgrade their equipment so the onus is not on the client.

How do you upgrade a ladder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

oscarBravo wrote: »
    How do you upgrade a ladder?

A height platform could be used depending on access. Much safer than a ladder too.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

pablo128 wrote: »
    A height platform could be used depending on access. Much safer than a ladder too.

As in, a MEWP?

You think every install should involve transporting a MEWP to the customer's premises - and every installer should receive MEWP certification - just in case the customer doesn't want a small hole drilled in a wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe bring two men/women?

One could hold it rather than damaging customers house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

NIMAN wrote: »

SIRO does this .. most of the time. Any job is a a 2 people job. It's always a question of compromise vs. cost.

A MEWP ... I wouldn't know of any customer, that would want the cost that that entails. And the providers won't eat that cost... i can assure you that. Margins are way too small.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Cheaper drill a hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Any time I had Imagine on my premises (5 times IIRC ) it was two men crews. Maybe they've changed procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Cheaper drill a hole.

Of course it is, but I wouldn't allow that.

So I am guessing they are losing some business by drilling holes.

Of course it is, but I wouldn't allow that.

So I am guessing they are losing some business by drilling holes.

Miniscule in the grand scheme. But yeah, I'd baulk if someone tried that on my property too. Those lads are between a rock and a hard place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

It's one thing installers drilling holes in the wall to secure ladders for health and safety...annoying but possibly necessary.....it's completely another thing them doing the install and only when finished the install then drilling multiple fracking holes in the wall so they can take pictures of it to pretend that they did it safely....

It's one thing installers drilling holes in the wall to secure ladders for health and safety...annoying but possibly necessary.....it's completely another think them doing the install and only when finished drilling multiple fracking homes in the wall so they can take pictures of it to pretend that they did it safely....

Yup, quicker and still safe. I thought they left eye bolts there no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Yup, quicker and still safe. I thought they left eye bolts there no?

Apologies, I fobared my original post, which I've now edited. The point I was making is that I've had installers doing an install and only when finished drilling holes and taking pictures to pretend to document that they did it right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I probably wouldn't mind half as much if the holes were drilled in the ground rather than the wall.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't mind half as much if the holes were drilled in the ground rather than the wall.

Their (orders) instructions are to drill in the top third, it works in conjunction with the ratchet strap and ladder mate they use. I walked away from this initiative in 06 for a different contractor.Dunno the instructions now, maybe they have better mechanisms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,802 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Is there such thing as a ladder with 'stabilisers' on it? I'm sure there is...

• Advertisement
Advertisement