Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From one nap to no naps

• 11-11-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

My daughter is 2 years and 8 months and I'm wondering if she's showing signs that it's time to drop her nap?

She's always been an amazing sleeper and I'm really lucky. She loves her sleep and will actually ask when it's nap/bed time and get herself into bed.

In the last few weeks, night time has been getting harder. She's still happy to get into the bed but she'll lie awake for up to an hour and a half before dropping off when it used to only take about 10 minutes. She's still waking at the same time in the morning so she's actually reducing her night time sleeping hours from 11 1/2 hours to around 10 hours.

She has been having one nap of about 2 1/2 hours for about a year and a half and she seems to still really love her nap. She seems tired at nap time and falls asleep straight away but then is wide awake at night.

I'd much prefer her to reduce the daytime sleeping hours than the night time. Ideally, I'd like her to just have a shorter nap but she's a total nightmare if she's woken up before she's ready.

Occasionally there have been days when we're out and about and she'll miss her nap and she's totally fine so I decided to try letting her nap on alternate days to see how it worked. She was ok on the days with no nap apart from eyes dropping out of her head by bed time. Then on the days with the nap it was back to taking an hour and a half to get her asleep at night. I'm inclined to just drop the nap altogether but is there any reason not to? Is it still a bit too early? Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I don’t think there’s any reason not to, both of my older kids have dropped their nap early (for the life of me I couldn’t tell you what age, but I’m sure it was well before their third birthday). My two (since June) year old still naps most days but Only in the car or buggy (never napped in his cot because nap time clashed with the school run), but on a day when we don’t leave the house, he might skip it.
    If you drop it now, you might find she needs it every second or third day initially. Bedtime might also need to be a bit earlier!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Yea sounds fine to drop it.Some children manage better with just an hour every day, some are better to go two or three days with no nap, then a nap on the third day.Bedtime will.be early the days with no nap.This will take a long time to settle though, a year or more.Kind of feel your way along.My second dropped her nap at 2 and 8 months, but she would have gone to one every other day, then one every few days, that kind of thing.You will know yourself.Sometimes going in the car at naptime will knock her out for a bit and 40 mins could be enough to see you to bedtime.

Advertisement