Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a baby monitor

• 11-11-2019 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all, due first baby shortly and am doing some research on monitors, however I'm finding mixed reviews online.
    Can anyone recommend their monitor? I'm looking for a video monitor with movement sensors. At the minute I'm finding mixed reviews on angelcare and tomee tippee ones. Is there one I'm overlooking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

shhling wrote: »
    Hi all, due first baby shortly and am doing some research on monitors, however I'm finding mixed reviews online.
    Can anyone recommend their monitor? I'm looking for a video monitor with movement sensors. At the minute I'm finding mixed reviews on angelcare and tomee tippee ones. Is there one I'm overlooking?
    We have the kodak cherish c525. It's a bit more expensive than some of the main ones knocking around.

https://kodaksmarthome.co.uk/baby-monitors/c525-video-baby-monitor/

One caveat, our first hasn't arrived yet, so we haven't used it in real life practice yet. That said we do have it setup and ready to go and have tried it out. Day and night vision are great on it and you can use both the accompanying monitoring or the app to view the room.. There's plenty of motorised movement in it too if that's important.

Has temp and humidity sensors. Can play a limited number of tones, white noise etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

I used the Anglecare on my girl when she was a newborn, it was grand but the alarm did go off randomly at times which nearer gave me heart failure the first time.

It broke after 18 months and I got the below one - no movement monitor but I like it. Great sized screen and can move the camera. Very happy with it. The zoom is crap but good otherwise.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/monitors/bt-video-baby-monitor-6000/p/163519

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

lashes34 wrote: »
    I used the Anglecare on my girl when she was a newborn, it was grand but the alarm did go off randomly at times which nearer gave me heart failure the first time.

It broke after 18 months and I got the below one - no movement monitor but I like it. Great sized screen and can move the camera. Very happy with it. The zoom is crap but good otherwise.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/baby/monitors/bt-video-baby-monitor-6000/p/163519

I have this too used it from birth and he’s 15 months now it’s great would highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 27 maccyd13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-Monitoring/dp/B074389PMT

I got one of these, very good. Can view from app etc and can share the feed with your partner etc. Night vision is very good too.

Then when baby is older, you can use as a plain discreet IP camera. Which ended up in my coming to blows with a neighbour, but that's a whole other story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,482 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

get on adverts or donedeal... people are near giving monitors away

check out the ads and then google for reviews.

don't waste money buying new...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

We got rid of our angelcare monitor. The battery on the monitor was terrible and we wanted something we could check online or on our phones. It was fine otherwise- image, night vision and sound quality all adequate.

We replaced it with a nest indoor cam which can later be repurposed as a security camera. It can be checked online and there are mobile device apps for it. It can send motion alerts to your phone. You can mount it to the wall easily. You can opt for it to record when it detects sound or movement, and configure the sensitivity of the mic. The most sensitive setting is very sensitive. Recordings is stored to the cloud - so that feature requires a monthly subscription after the first month. We are using it in an effort to discover if there is an external cause of his ongoing nighttime wakings. All in all it's a much better choice than the angelcare one for us, and will continue to be useful when we no longer need a baby monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

If you're buying new I'd get one of the WiFi solutions - plenty on amazon. Could work with an echo Show or your phone as screen. Then you can use as more than baby monitor eg checking house when away etc. Check reviews that the night light that comes out of camera isn't too bright eg to wake kids. The old fashioned screen and camera setup is very outdated and as others say they break and batteries fail etc. The Motorola one I had was great but when we went to buy the second camera they'd been discontinued. Wifi cameras do all that and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,017 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

We got rid of our angelcare monitor. The battery on the monitor was terrible and we wanted something we could check online or on our phones. It was fine otherwise- image, night vision and sound quality all adequate.

We replaced it with a nest indoor cam which can later be repurposed as a security camera. It can be checked online and there are mobile device apps for it. It can send motion alerts to your phone. You can mount it to the wall easily. You can opt for it to record when it detects sound or movement, and configure the sensitivity of the mic. The most sensitive setting is very sensitive. Recordings is stored to the cloud - so that feature requires a monthly subscription after the first month. We are using it in an effort to discover if there is an external cause of his ongoing nighttime wakings. All in all it's a much better choice than the angelcare one for us, and will continue to be useful when we no longer need a baby monitor.

I'd second this. I use a Nest indoor cam as well to monitor our little lady. However I do use it in conjunction with an Angelcare audio monitor. The Nest cam is great for video but it is dependent on a reliable internet connection and it can be quite laggy at times. I find the Angelcare to be much more sensitive and clear for audio so happy with the setup that I have.

I do think that using a video baby monitor such as you find from BT, Kodak etc so be an expensive solution than can't contined to be used fro anything once your baby grows beyond being monitored at night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I'd second this. I use a Nest indoor cam as well to monitor our little lady. However I do use it in conjunction with an Angelcare audio monitor. The Nest cam is great for video but it is dependent on a reliable internet connection and it can be quite laggy at times. I find the Angelcare to be much more sensitive and clear for audio so happy with the setup that I have.

I do think that using a video baby monitor such as you find from BT, Kodak etc so be an expensive solution than can't contined to be used fro anything once your baby grows beyond being monitored at night.
    The audio is very clear on mine. It must be to do with the internet connection. We have an external one on our garage and the audio was not working at all on that when it was getting a patchy signal - but it works well since I extended the wifi to the garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

We use Neos.
    Its essentially a Webcam, we have the App downloaded on our phones but we also use an old iPad to then monitor him.

Advertisement