Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Degree from IT or University, is there a difference?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I'd say if a business is hiring entry level folk without much work experience, they'd pick the Athlone I.T. business studies graduate over the Trinity classics graduate.

But they'd probably pick the Trinity business studies graduate over the Athlone I.T. business studies graduate.

If it's a case of narrowing it down to college attended of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

LirW wrote: »
    I never said it's a black and white thing but different disciplines require different approaches and not everyone is suitable for everything.
    Also my whole blurb was in response to someone saying they don't think much of the whole "critical" thinking in humanities and arts.

Basically we all have different aptitudes but generally logical thinking is valued a lot more in economical terms because it makes money easier and is seen as the recipe for success. Why do you think the drop out rates in some STEM courses are so high? Because kids constantly hear how STEM and business is basically the recipe to success and art and humanities are useless horsesh1te, parents put pressure on them to pursue the safe path to monetary security completely dismissing their interests and aptitudes.
    Young people that find themselves having great divergent skills are confronted that their given aptitude is less valuable than a convergent one because they're harder to monetize. This might be a contributing factor to this surge recognized mental health issues because our society only values people with certain skills and natural talents, if you don't fall into it, tough tiddies.

The drop out rate is higher in Arts than STEM. Most people entering a STEM course are there because they want to be. Sure some will find that it's not for them but I've never heard anyone encouraging someone onto a STEM course to "find themselves". Which I've heard about Arts and was even told myself. The advice was "if you don't know what to do, do an Arts course. You'll find yourself and even if it's not what you want, you'll have a degree and options at the end of it".
    mariaalice wrote: »
    Has there ever been any long term studies done on this.

There was a study that I can't find now, it showed that doing higher level maths was a predictor of doing well in third level and completing college and was a correlation with earning after college.

This is often taken to mean higher level maths = intelligence but its not as simple as that, what it means is that the skillset associated with higher-level maths is one that is valued by our work culture and our third level culture.
    I was just talking to a lecturer about this. They did a study in their university and found that people who do well at maths, tend to do well career wise. It's not down to maths=better/more desirable skills but it takes more effort to earn a maths degree. Those students tend to go to all lectures, tutorials and spend a lot of extra time honing their skills and that discipline stands them in their future careers.

I'm not saying having a maths degree make someone a better person than someone with an English degree but there is a massive difference in the workload needed to earn the degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

It's are for people who arn't bright enough got University.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

TCM wrote: »

I respect your opinion on this matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is a p*sstake isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Clearly you got into neither with that grammar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I received my degree from an IT and went straight into a multi-national for a year, before taking the plunge and starting my own business.

My hairdresser has a similar degree, from a University (He has moved on, i'm sure... haven't seen him in years).

It's not the institution that matters, it's the student.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I'd say if a business is hiring entry level folk without much work experience, they'd pick the Athlone I.T. business studies graduate over the Trinity classics graduate.

But they'd probably pick the Trinity business studies graduate over the Athlone I.T. business studies graduate.

If it's a case of narrowing it down to college attended of course.

If they both interviewed on a par? I'd pick the one I felt fit the people they would be working with best or, more importantly, the one who has the lower salary expectations. :pac:

Advertisement