Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car purchase - December or January?

• 12-11-2019 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

Thinking of shortly changing my 10 year old car for a 2/3 year old car. Any advantage money-wise of waiting until January compared to buying in December?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

January. What’s left in December is usually overpriced plus the choice is bigger in the new year. I would hold off til February.

That said the uk import prospect is more attractive now than in the new year because of new taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

https://www.vrt.ie/faq/changes-vrt-budget-2020/

"The NOx charge will be capped at a maximum of €4,850 for diesel vehicles and €600 for other vehicles."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

WacoKid wrote: »
    https://www.vrt.ie/faq/changes-vrt-budget-2020/

"The NOx charge will be capped at a maximum of €4,850 for diesel vehicles and €600 for other vehicles."

amazing news! there was me worried that importing an S500 was going to be out of the equation in a year or two! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

colm_mcm wrote: »
    January. What’s left in December is usually overpriced plus the choice is bigger in the new year. I would hold off til February.

That said the uk import prospect is more attractive now than in the new year because of new taxes.

Why is whats left in December overpriced? I'm not contradicting you! Just trying to educate myself as I know little about the car trade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Because normally dealers drop prices around now to clear trade-ins they already have before the start of the new year when more trade-ins come in against brand new cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

KaneToad wrote: »
    Why is whats left in December overpriced? I'm not contradicting you! Just trying to educate myself as I know little about the car trade

It’s usually costing the dealer more money, either because it’s aged stock or it was taken in against aged stock.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Because normally dealers drop prices around now to clear trade-ins they already have before the start of the new year when more trade-ins come in against brand new cars.

So, if they drop the prices now then how is it overpriced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So, if they drop the prices now then how is it overpriced?

The ones that don't drop their prices are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

A lot of hole digging going on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

We bought an Audi a6 2014 on I think 19th December last year. It was a Monday anyway! Was on at 22k and I told the dealer if it checks out by my mechanic I'd buy it that day for 20k. He refused but then he rang me back that afternoon and we struck a deal at 20k.
    Happy out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement