Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭quokula

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/11/boris-johnson-destroy-britain-conservative-revolutionary-sect?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Another great article from Peter Oborne, the conservative journalist who has been a lone voice for integrity and honesty on the right in recent times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,052 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We can quite clearly see from these results that, even after 3.5 years of knowledge and debate, the British public are still pretty much split down the line when it comes to Leaving the EU.

This idea that somehow Remain, at 70% or some such conclusive figure, now warrants a second referendum, has been relegated to the depths of absurdity.

The reality is that the UK is just as divided as it was in 2016 - even more reason to implement the result. If Remain were at 70%+, I'd probably have to agree with posters here on cancelling Brexit if a referendum were held. But with these stats, we see no such appetite.

Let's get on and deliver on the 2016 result, rather than having the Remain half of the country stitching things up to get their own way.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1204836496773132289

Do you agree that Brexit is dead in the water if the Tories leave office?

The idea of a Corbyn - Sturgeon - Swinson coalition (or any variation of such) ever implementing it seems extremely far fetched. It was always a 100% Tory project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

quokula wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/11/boris-johnson-destroy-britain-conservative-revolutionary-sect?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Another great article from Peter Oborne, the conservative journalist who has been a lone voice for integrity and honesty on the right in recent times.
    There will be no way back from Johnson’s Brexit. Whatever the possible economic damage inflicted by Corbyn and his chancellor John McDonnell, it will last for a maximum of five years before they can be kicked out by the electorate.

We have a strong Conservative candidate here in Brentford and Isleworth, a local woman named Seena Shah. I’ve seen her in action and in normal times I’d vote for her. Shah represents hope for the future. But she is much too good for Boris Johnson and the wrecking crew that surrounds him. I believe they want to destroy the Britain I’ve lived in and loved all my life.

he doesn't hold back in fairness -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

the BBC have pulled Politics Live from iPlayer and it's BBC parliament repeat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We can quite clearly see from these results that, even after 3.5 years of knowledge and debate, the British public are still pretty much split down the line when it comes to Leaving the EU.

This idea that somehow Remain, at 70% or some such conclusive figure, now warrants a second referendum, has been relegated to the depths of absurdity.

The reality is that the UK is just as divided as it was in 2016 - even more reason to implement the result. If Remain were at 70%+, I'd probably have to agree with posters here on cancelling Brexit if a referendum were held. But with these stats, we see no such appetite.

Let's get on and deliver on the 2016 result, rather than having the Remain half of the country stitching things up to get their own way.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1204836496773132289

So 52/48 for some vauge notion of Leave is a reason for picking No Deal.

But 52/48 for Remain after three plus years of in depth discussion on the reasons why Leave might not be such a good idea is apparently also a good reason for Leaving by any possible means?

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    So 52/48 for some vauge notion of Leave is a reason for picking No Deal.

But 52/48 for Remain after three plus years of in depth discussion on the reasons why Leave might not be such a good idea is apparently also a good reason for Leaving by any possible means?

Let me give you a contrast.

Scots vote to Leave the UK 52:48.

3.5 years later, an argument is made that another referendum should be held because a poll comes out showing Remain is now winning 52:48.

Nobody would ever sanction a 2nd referendum on that basis.

The same is true for Brexit - after 4 years of intense debate and scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

3.5 years later, an argument is made that another referendum should be held because a poll comes out showing Remain is now winning 52:48.

So why wouldnt the scots have left if they voted to leave?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why wouldn't they have another referendum if things had changed and the opinion of the population had changed as to if it was a good idea or not and Scotland had not left by that point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So why wouldnt the scots have left if they voted to leave?

Because a deal had to be reached with the rest of the UK regarding economic independence etc and it had proved to be far more difficult then ever imagined and nearly 4 years later little progress has been made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Why wouldn't they have another referendum if things had changed and the opinion of the population had changed as to if it was a good idea or not and Scotland had not left by that point?

Basically vote leave lied and probably broke numerous laws. That's why there should be another referendum.

Also if Cameron had made the referendum legally binding, it would likely not stood, due in part to the antics of vote leave

• Advertisement

So, we have the precedent then:

Every time a random opinion poll on a question shows a 2% shift, we need another election, general election, or referendum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭tanko

What are they trying to hide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Basically vote leave lied and probably broke numerous laws. That's why there should be another referendum.

Also if Cameron had made the referendum legally binding, it would likely not stood, due in part to the antics of vote leave
    Johnson and Tories have buried that report on Russian interference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Was there a particular episode worthy of dropping or was it all of them?

Amazing how all these BBC "mistakes" seem to be in favour of the Tories...

https://twitter.com/johnjh67/status/1204770212014370818

It is amazing.

What's not shocking us how our resident Brexiters are going off on one about it and trying to move the subject forward. Funny that.

It is amazing.

What's not shocking us how our resident Brexiters are going off on one about it and trying to move the subject forward. Funny that.

Labour supporters never, ever talk about how biased Channel 4 is in favour of the Conservative Party.

Never.

Labour supporters never, ever talk about how biased Channel 4 is in favour of the Conservative Party.

Never.

It's usually because they're not.

I'm sure you've decades of this evidence of bias for us to pore over to distract from the heinous and frankly disgraceful bias for the Tories from every other outlet.

Somehow I think the incessant bias from the BBC, ITV and the printed and online media in the UK in favour of the Tories pales your made up C4 bias into insignificance.

Plus, the political editor of channel 4 didn't break the law today.

No comments on anything else that has been brought up or are you going to crow at us with some whataboutery as usual?

You're a tiresome fellow.

LATEST POLL - SAVANTA COMRES

Very dangerous.

The one poll that came within 1.5% of polling the correct result in 2017, have come out with a mere 5% lead for the Conservatives.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1204870235058319361

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,481 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whats that Skippy? You want a poll with 5% gap and Labour finally breaking through the mid 30s mark? Here you go.

ComRes Monday and Tuesday this week.
    CON 41% (-)
    LAB 36% (+3)
    LD 12% (-)
    Other 11% (-3)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Uproar now about all the leaking of the postal ballot counts

Dominic Rabb was grinning like a Cheshire cat because he was way ahead on them
    Leaking the tally on those is illegal
    They're not officially counted until after 10pm tomorrow

• Advertisement

LATEST POLL - SAVANTA COMRES

Very dangerous.

The one poll that came within 1.5% of polling the correct result in 2017, have come out with a mere 5% lead for the Conservatives.

I made a mistake here.

The 1.5% poll in 2017 was done by Survation, not Savanta ComRes.

ComRes came out with a 10% lead for the Conservatives in 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Was there a particular episode worthy of dropping or was it all of them?

It's Laura again. She apparently has been implied to have broke electoral law by revealing the direction of postal votes after having seen some of the early counts or gotten information from someone she did this on live TV via facetime on her phone.

Worst political editor going. .. possibly ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I made a mistake here.

The 1.5% poll in 2017 was done by Survation, not Savanta ComRes.

ComRes came out with a 10% lead for the Conservatives in 2017.

How did that election go again?

Hope someone goes to jail for leaking postal votes.

Cannot believe they actually open the postal vote boxea before the poles open.
    The UK is a strange place

So, we have the precedent then:

Every time a random opinion poll on a question shows a 2% shift, we need another election, general election, or referendum?

Did you even look at the chart in the Tweet which you linked?

It's not some random outlier poll showing 2%, it's actually a 4‰ shift but we'll let that slide. It is a trend shown in all polls taken since the middle of 2017 that the majority of people want remain. Its consistent across all polls, and the voting which will happen tomorrow will also show that the majority of people do not vote for the Tories who are the only Leave party.

listermint wrote: »
    It's Laura again. She apparently has been implied to have broke electoral law by revealing the direction of postal votes after having seen some of the early counts or gotten information from someone she did this on live TV via facetime on her phone.

I knew all of that sure, it's been the big story of the day.

Sorry, I didn't realise that it was on politics live. That makes sense now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

tanko wrote: »
    What are they trying to hide?

Anything related to this
    [url]

How did that election go again?

Hope someone goes to jail for leaking postal votes.

Cannot believe they actually open the postal vote boxea before the poles open.
    The UK is a strange place

Terribly.

It would be a total catastrophe for the UK if Corbyn secures Prime Ministership.

Awful. Totally awful. It should not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I'm generally dubious about celebrities getting involved in campaigning, didnt work in uk or USA in 2016 i think, but have new found respect for Hugh Grant these past few days. I think he and Alan Partridge could be making valuable contributions towards getting the right result.

And i believe this is what the americans would call knocking it out of the ball park:

https://twitter.com/HackedOffHugh/status/1204851528105902083?s=20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,452 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

listermint wrote: »

BBC denying she broke any electoral law. But that sounds like damage limitation to me. It is an offence to reveal any information about postal votes until the poll is closed.

• Advertisement

Did you even look at the chart in the Tweet which you linked?

It's not some random outlier poll showing 2%, it's actually a 4‰ shift but we'll let that slide. It is a trend shown in all polls taken since the middle of 2017 that the majority of people want remain. Its consistent across all polls, and the voting which will happen tomorrow will also show that the majority of people do not vote for the Tories who are the only Leave party.

So, if there was a consistent Remain in the UK vote after Scottish independence, say by 4% over a year or two (held 3-4 years post-referendum), another independence referendum should be called to remain in the UK?

Back and forth. Forth and back. Yes!?

Really!?

Advertisement