Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The Mirror going all out:

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1204893739354853376?s=19

Personally, if I was a waverer and I was walking into my newsagent somewhere in Toryland tomorrow that would make me change my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Aegir wrote: »
    My actual shock is that so many Irish people who don’t actually live in the UK get so animated by a general election in a foreign country.

That might just be because there is a long history of British governments having a disproportionate influence on Irish society.

Or perhaps its about Brexit, which will have a very real effect on the prosperity of this country.

Or maybe it's something to do with a basic human concern for the many decent people who live the UK being subjected to a continuation of appalling governance that has caused untold misery over the last decade. (120,000 excess deaths due to austerity to give just one example).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

I didn’t defend her, I corrected a poster, that is all. You then decided to go i the offensive, which is rather odd to say the least. Maybe I should have written in caps.

So maybe you could answer my second point, if she has broken electoral rules, has everyone on twitter who tweeted and rerweeted that clip also broken the rules?

You didnt defend her?

Aegir responding to a post saying 'I see Laura kussenberg is after giving the results of the postal votes out claiming tories are romping home.how is it she hasn’t been fired from the beeb'
    Well no, she hasn’t, she doesn’t know what the results are because they haven’t been announced yet.

I see the labour twitter machine is in full meltdown over this, but surely it incentivises labour supporters to get out and vote, does it not?

Also, if she has broken election rules, surely everyone that tweeted and retweeted it are also breaking the rules?

And that qualifies as 'not defending'?

So maybe you could answer my second point, if she has broken electoral rules, has everyone on twitter who tweeted and rerweeted that clip also broken the rules?

NO - two points
    • Voters often leave the Poll Booth and tweet 'I VOTED [This party]'
    • Voters arent JOURNALISTS working for a TV LICENSE FUNDED PUBLIC BROADCASTER

Aegir - here is a simple statement for you to endorse - if you will

'I support the Torys under Boris Johnson, and am in favor of Brexit. That said, i believe Laura Kuenssberg was wrong in what she did today - influencing voters IN ANY WAY by releasing indications of actual votes, ALREADY CAST, is wrong, and i condemn it wholeheartedly - the UK Elections watchdog were correct to highlight this, and i leave it to them to decide a course of action'

problem?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

My actual shock is that so many Irish people who don’t actually live in the UK get so animated by a general election in a foreign country.

It's almost like the government that are elected in the UK will have a serious impact on the Irish economy and the security situation in the North...

Why should we care about that at all? :rolleyes:

LATEST POLL RESULT

Survation - the only company which most accurately predicted the 2017 result (being in 1.5% of the result) - now come out with a fantastic poll showing a 11-point lead for the Conservative Party.

Maybe a done deal?

It certainly seems so.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1204913852015620098

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Personally, if I was a waverer and I was walking into my newsagent somewhere in Toryland tomorrow that would make me change my mind.
    The headline harks back to Labour's classic election posters from 1945.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

It's an excellent front page. No mention of the elephant in the room (Brexit) but instead all the other things that impact on people in Britain.

Pollsters herd. They do it at every election. What's interesting is the general direction of travel, not the margin of the individual polls, and that has been good for Labour today though, a lot showing a three percent swing.

Now we just have to wait and see whether the methodology was accurate or not.

Remember the poll of polls in 2017 showed a 7.6% gap, it ended up at 2.3%.

Pollsters herd. They do it at every election. What's interesting is the general direction of travel, not the margin of the individual polls, and that has been good for Labour today though, a lot showing a three percent swing.

The question is - would you be making the same arguments if Labour held the same type of lead of the Conservative Party.

I sincerely think not.

Why on earth would Irish people get animated about a UK General Election that promises to have a profound effect upon Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

the UK is NOT a foreign country. it's only a few miles up the road. like a lot of posters, half of my family live there.
    i cant speak for others here but i would call it in my case at least, less becoming animated and more bemusement. besides i enjoy elections/politics Irish, UK, USA.

regardless which of the 2 is PM after this election, the UK is going to regret electing him very soon afterwards imo.

Johnson is a spoofer, who will NOT get Brexit done, anytime soon. anybody that falls for that line is very gullible imo.
    Corbyn despite his good intentions will likely make the Winter of disontent look like a tea-party. 1970s here we come.

like i said it's gonna be great fun!

The question is - would you be making the same arguments if Labour held the same type of lead of the Conservative Party.

I sincerely think not.
    No, it isn't the question.

The question is very much about the margin between the Tories and Labour, and whether that will close further or whether the polls may be out.

There's very recent precedent that the polls can be out and that the gap can close, so, yes I think that is the question on this UK General Election thread, rather than some childish attempt at internet point scoring.

I sincerely think not.

But they're not. So he's not.

Do you think typing the same rubbish after every comment on a poll that deviates from what you want to hear is going to change that reality?

It's all about the trend as you know.

That's what you need to look for in polls.

Indyref1 in 2014 was a great example of that.

But they're not. So he's not.

Do you think typing the same rubbish after every comment on a poll that deviates from what you want to hear is going to change that reality?

First, ad hominems seldom make a persuasive argument.

Next, not at all.

The reality is clear - the polls at this stage, compared to 2017, are fimly in favour of a One Nation Conservative Party who intends to Get Brexit Done.

We're almost there.

Just 21 hours left to confirm that expected conclusion.

If so, the Remain campaign is dead. And I for one cannot wait for its autopsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

liamtech wrote: »
    Downloaded! Thank you!

Are we remaining (pardon the pun) on this thread or are we having a separate results night thread? il be staying up until at least 4 - genuinely going to be an interesting night i think

4am?
    Amateur! :D;)

Not at all.

The reality is clear - the polls at this stage, compared to 2017, are fimly in favour of a One Nation Conservative Party who intends to Get Brexit Done.

We're almost there.

So you're back to being sure of the result now?

It's almost like you're standing in front of a mirror, bigging yourself up, saying how much of a "neat guy" you are.

Though you've convinced yourself that you're more Travis Bickle than Paul Stevens.

You're right on one count, there ain't "nobody else here"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Next, not at all.

We're almost there.

Boris Johnson is not a One Nation Conservative - by any definition of the term
    Sir Oxman wrote: »
    4am?
    Amateur! :D;)

Sir Oxman - the scream of laughter i let out probably woke half of Dublin! lol - Happy to try and wait up longer! It is going to be interesting and this is my bread and butter since college so! - and il raise a glass either way! no shame in that!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

ok i'm gonna call it,

Tories will not get a majority. instead they will need votes from others, most probably the DUP.
    Arlene & Sammy smelling blood & feeling emboldened will insist he goes back to Brussels to ensure the WA includes a gold plated triple lock guarantee so their precious Union is protected and remains part of the UK.

commentators will lament "you couldn't make this stuff up!"

Next, not at all.

We're almost there.

Ad Hominem?

My post was the definition of of attacking the post and not the poster. My friend, you do seem nervous.

Plus I'm not here trying to persuade you.

• Advertisement

ok i'm gonna call it,

Tories will not get a majority. instead they will need votes from others, most probably the DUP.
    Arlene & Sammy smelling blood & feeling emboldened will insist he goes back to Brussels to ensure the WA includes a gold plated triple lock guarantee so their precious Union is protected and remains part of the UK.

Or else it's the LD's and a second vote on Boris' bill.

It would be interesting to see what Labour (as a party) would be campaigning for.

ok i'm gonna call it,

The DUP won't have the seats to take them over the line though.

I'm definitely thinking hung parliament anyway. But Tories having largest seat share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

liamtech wrote: »
    Boris Johnson is not a One Nation Conservative - by any definition of the term

Sir Oxman - the scream of laughter i let out probably woke half of Dublin! lol - Happy to try and wait up longer! It is going to be interesting and this is my bread and butter since college so! - and il raise a glass either way! no shame in that!

Good stuff, liamtech!

My post was the definition of of attacking the post and not the poster. My friend, you do seem nervous.

Judging from the poll results, I think that maybe an example of projection.

The DUP won't have the seats to take them over the line though.

I'm definitely thinking hung parliament anyway. But Tories having largest seat share.

so we're in agreement then.
    it's gonna be a (Eton) mess.
    somethings never change.;)

Judging from the poll results, I think that maybe an example of projection.

You would know.

I win either way tbh. Tory majority will bring Irish unification and Scottish independence.

Labour victory of some description brings me the death of the Tories and jail terms for many unsavoury characters.

5/2 on a hung parliament pays for my weekend.

You would know.

I win either way tbh. Tory majority will bring Irish unification and Scottish independence.

Labour victory of some description brings me the death of the Tories and jail terms fir many unsavoury characters.

5/2 on a hung parliament pays for my weekend.

That sounds good, maybe, at least to some.

For many more, it means Prime Minister Johnson resumes tomorrow night.

And that, no matter how much you try to avoid it, itches your skin more than a wave of mosquitos could ever hope to achieve.

Not just a Conservative victory, but a One-Nation Johnson Majority.

Your worst nightmare is about to become reality.

That sounds good, maybe, at least to some.

For many more, it means Prime Minister Johnson resumes tomorrow night.

And that, no matter how much you try to avoid it, itches your skin more than mosquitos could ever hope to achieve.

Not just a Conservative victory, but a One-Nation Johnson Majority. Your worst nightmare is about to become reality.

Right so?

Good thing I don't have to live in the nightmare I guess.

You should get some rest. Big day ahead.

Your worst nightmare is about to become reality.
    Can't believe the Tories didn't run with this slogan!

So persuasive and charming and, unusually for the Tories, it would have been 100% true!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

A friend of mine campaigning n Watford is saying Bojo could lose his seat tomorrow..He is a Labour activist though

I thought when the election was called we would see a hung parliament with Labour/SNP/Lib Dem and independents forming a government . I still think this will happen

I'd be happy if Boris is out on his ear
    And the DUP lose lots of seats and more moderate unionists who backed remain win those seats
    Same for SDLP who would actually give nationalist representation in a parliament

I hope Labour take all London except love to see Kate Hoey thrown out on her ass ..the mad Brexit eejit

Advertisement