Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

MPFGLB wrote: »
    A friend of mine campaigning n Watford is saying Bojo could lose his seat tomorrow..He is a Labour activist though

I thought when the election was called we would see a hung parliament with Labour/SNP/Lib Dem and independents forming a government . I still think this will happen

I'd be happy if Boris is out on his ear
    And the DUP lose lots of seats and more moderate unionists who backed remain win those seats
    Same for SDLP who would actually give nationalist representation in a parliament

I hope Labour take all London except love to see Kate Hoey thrown out on her ass ..the mad Brexit eejit

Hoey is not a candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

MPFGLB wrote: »
    I hope Labour take all London except love to see Kate Hoey thrown out on her ass ..the mad Brexit eejit
    Hoey has stood down from Parliament and Labour have a new candidate in Vauxhall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

That sounds good, maybe, at least to some.

For many more, it means Prime Minister Johnson resumes tomorrow night.

And that, no matter how much you try to avoid it, itches your skin more than a wave of mosquitos could ever hope to achieve.

Not just a Conservative victory, but a One-Nation Johnson Majority.

Your worst nightmare is about to become reality.

Boris Johnson is not a One Nation conservative - iv said this a few times and you have dodged - explain why you think im wrong

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

Can't believe the Tories didn't run with this slogan!

So persuasive and charming and, unusually for the Tories, it would have been 100% true!

how true.

Lab should have done a mock up of Back to the Future.
    Corbyn could play Doc Browne, with McDonnell playing Marty McFly

"Roads! where we're going we don't need roads!"
    "ok Marty see you in The winter of 1978/9"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

ok i'm gonna call it,

Tories will not get a majority. instead they will need votes from others, most probably the DUP.
    Arlene & Sammy smelling blood & feeling emboldened will insist he goes back to Brussels to ensure the WA includes a gold plated triple lock guarantee so their precious Union is protected and remains part of the UK.

commentators will lament "you couldn't make this stuff up!"

Yeah a DUP alliance possible as they can't go in with anyone else.

The fear for the tories is not just the last few days which have been dire is I can see the Brexit party spoiling the leave vote and Tories just missing out on some seats.

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/1204890666381324290

workington
    https://twitter.com/nickfaith82/status/1204522931801542669

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

For anyone who has a vote in the UK I'd be quite grateful if you could vote whoever is likely to keep the Tories out. Even traditional Tory voters like Peter Oborne, the right of centre columnist suggest to vote for whoever is best placed to keep the Tories out, and it's usually Labour.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/11/boris-johnson-destroy-britain-conservative-revolutionary-sect

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

robinph wrote: »
    The ballot is sealed, but then to the outside of that envelope is the signature and identifying details regarding the constituency and the voter. That all needs checking and removing separately from all the other ballots. Once it's opened though it's exactly the same as the rest of the ballot papers.

If you do that stuff on the count night with all the other ballots then you significantly slow down the count, and have identifying details for voters potentially getting mixed in with the regular ballots. Makes sense for the different part of the processing to be done separately, then the votes just get thrown in and counted along with all the others on the night.
    I said do it on the day while the voting is underway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,722 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

For anyone who has a vote in the UK I'd be quite grateful if you could vote whoever is likely to keep the Tories out. Even traditional Tory voters like Peter Oborne, the right of centre columnist suggest to vote for whoever is best placed to keep the Tories out, and it's usually Labour.

Unfortunately, I don’t think corbyn has a hope, it could be a doubling down day, and God knows where that ll lead them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,806 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Today is gonna be a proverbial punishment beating for those who refused to respect the result of the referendum.

I predict 35 to 45 seat Tory majority on a bad day.

Corbyn has been a disaster for Labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,720 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Reckon the tories will get a majority, but it will be very small, maybe by a dozen seats. Labour will not go into meltdown like some predict. Lib Democrats will fail to make any breakthrough. Snp will fail to make the gains they expect.

Reckon this election will mark the end of the remain movement in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We should all have been out campaigning for the Brexit party

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

splinter65 wrote: »
    Because a deal had to be reached with the rest of the UK regarding economic independence etc and it had proved to be far more difficult then ever imagined and nearly 4 years later little progress has been made.

That, coupled with a shift in public opinion, would seem a very sensible reason to go back to the people and ask is this what you really want. Personally I think Scottish voters would be mature enough to recognise the need for a second referendum

What exactly is wrong with holding your hands up, saying this is tougher than we thought and asking are you sure this is what you want?

What exactly is wrong with holding your hands up, saying this is tougher than we thought and asking are you sure this is what you want?

What about the opinions of leavers, that still believe in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Yea, thickness really is contagious

A stronger Brexit party would have eaten into the Conservative vote, so perversely it wouldn't have been a bad thing to promote those lovely people. Sadly though, Johnson being the full blown racist he is took away the Brexit Party's main selling point.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Then they can vote for the leave option. It will take them 5 minutes. Not difficult really.

In short, no.

Happy now.

Can you not go off and research such things yourself?

Can you provide something to support that statement
    Then why do you post here?

If it's below you then it seems rather odd that you grace us with your presence.

if you don't like debating with people who have differing opinions to yours, then I suggest you go and find a more suitable echo chamber than this one.

This is the exact thing that has turned a lot of people away from the current incarnation of the Labour party. Any dissenting voices are intimidated and told to get lost. When one of the biggest Unions has to table a motion it is pretty damning. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-staff-gmb-union-branch-18336235

(I await posters now telling us that the Mirror is just another Tory mouthpiece)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭brickster69

Today is gonna be a proverbial punishment beating for those who refused to respect the result of the referendum.

I predict 35 to 45 seat Tory majority on a bad day.

Corbyn has been a disaster for Labour.

They still won't respect, they it never will.

"if you get on the wrong train, get off at the nearest station, the longer it takes you to get off, the more expensive the return trip will be."

Shelga wrote: »
    Then they can vote for the leave option. It will take them 5 minutes. Not difficult really.

second referendums are always sweeter, because the wrong answer was obviously given first time around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

They still won't respect, they it never will.
    Channelling your inner Yoda I see.

Nobody has to 'respect' the result of a vote. That's what democracy is all about. If you don't like something, you can campaign and vote to change it. Almost half the country and two of its constituent members voted against brexit. The mistake was pretending they didn't exist.

Reports of unusually high turnouts at polling stations. Queues at a lot of them including in Corbyn's constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭Russman

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Reports of unusually high turnouts at polling stations. Queues at a lot of them including in Corbyn's constituency.

You'd wonder what this indicates though - people anxious to "get Brexit done", or people horrified at the prospect of a Tory majority.

Russman wrote: »
    You'd wonder what this indicates though - people anxious to "get Brexit done", or people horrified at the prospect of a Tory majority.
    The received wisdom has always been that a high turnout favours opposition parties. But as you say, these are interesting times. But you'd have to look at Corbyn's constituency as pretty safe for him, being both the Labour leader and it being a remain constituency. Very unlikely to favour a Tory there.

Lots of tweets about massive queues on the Guardian live blog. Mostly from London though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I said do it on the day while the voting is underway

That would be an option, but the people doing the count will be up all night as it is and there is probably only a limited pool of people who put themselves forward for such rolls to have a second load of them in during the day as well.

From having done a postal vote myself the system seems pretty sensible and secure regarding the anonymity of it as long as they all do what they are meant to do and no politicians or journalists try to mess with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

They can still vote for leave obviously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The received wisdom has always been that a high turnout favours opposition parties. But as you say, these are interesting times. But you'd have to look at Corbyn's constituency as pretty safe for him, being both the Labour leader and it being a remain constituency. Very unlikely to favour a Tory there.

Lots of tweets about massive queues on the Guardian live blog. Mostly from London though.

I've been reading reports about long queues on FB in other parts of the UK too.

I voted quite early this morning in Hampshire, held my nose and voted tactically. Very, very busy, but no queues. The weather is horrendous.

C'mon Labour!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

They still get the option to vote for leave again and to campaign for others to do the same if they have a good argument for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Are there any moderate Tory candidates in the election this time round. People Like Oliver Letwin and Ken Clarke that openly oppose "no deal Brexit"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

My entirely skewed sampling of family-and-friends voters in the UK (all Remainers) indicates that they'll all be adopting the anyone-but-Boris tactic. The Canterbury crowd had a round-dinner-table discussion on the subject to agree that everyone would vote Labour regardless of natural LibDem Green-ish inclinations.

I'd like to think that similar consideration was being given to the matter across the country ... but then you hear an interview with disenchanted Leavers moaning "we voted Leave, I don't understand why we haven't left yet!" and you realise that some voters' intellectual capacity doesn't quite stretch to concepts like democracy and parliamentary process. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

joe40 wrote: »
    Are there any moderate Tory candidates in the election this time round. People Like Oliver Letwin and Ken Clarke that openly oppose "no deal Brexit"

It was sickening to hear Johnson talk about electing a One Nation Tory government in his final pitch last night. He's the glove puppet of the ERG and his cabinet is infested with hard right fruitloops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

My entirely skewed sampling of family-and-friends voters in the UK (all Remainers) indicates that they'll all be adopting the anyone-but-Boris tactic. The Canterbury crowd had a round-dinner-table discussion on the subject to agree that everyone would vote Labour regardless of natural LibDem Green-ish inclinations.

I'd like to think that similar consideration was being given to the matter across the country ... but then you hear an interview with disenchanted Leavers moaning "we voted Leave, I don't understand why we haven't left yet!" and you realise that some voters' intellectual capacity doesn't quite stretch to concepts like democracy and parliamentary process. :p

in any rational democracy the Leave vote would be a matter for parliament to then decide on, based on the best deal available for the country.

that's not the way UK politics has gone though. Thanks mainly to Teresa May and the Tory party

Advertisement