Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    I have been feeling optimistic for days.. the pissed off feeling at the tories is so strong it's tangible here in Hampshire.

Everywhere I turn it's been shock at Boris Johnson's behaviour and there's vocal empathy with struggling nurses, hospitals, school kids, food bank use, firemen, police.. the whole shebang.

The papers, even the guardian and the bbc are not showing you what I am seeing/sensing on the ground. And I am in rich hampshire toryland, to boot.

C'mon Labour!!

It should also be said that many decent normal Brit's are utterly embarassed and ashamed at the absolute dismal behaviour of the conservatives and Brexit in general and are sick and tired of the whole debacle. Boris and co need to be thrown out this whole fiasco is and always has been a conservative agenda pushed by the toxic filth like Moggs and co.

It would be absolutely hilarious and satifying on so many levels if their shenanigans caught up enough that people over there turfed out the Tories in style, I'd love to see Moggs, Boris and the rest who pushed this lose their seats just as the perfect comeuppance for their cancerous stupid behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

A fair bit of desperation in here from remainers/the left. :D

It's going to be a comfortable Tory majority in the end. I stand by my prediction of 30 - 45 seats as the majority.

It's going to be appalling in here later! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There's some queue at the University of Kent this afternoon. In the wind and rain too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I put a small bet on a labour majority at 25/1

But in reality I expect the Tories to win a majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I put a small bet on a labour majority at 25/1

But in reality I expect the Tories to win a majority.

It would be a shock to be truthful for Labour to pull off a Majority and I honestly dont expect that result but I'm hopeful of at least the Tories and certainly the ringleaders being denied a Majority of any kind, their toxicity needs to go and all their problems they created with them. This is the kind of vote that can potential save or condemn a nation and I wonder if enough people over there can come out and put an end to this debacle by removing the Tories in favour of basically anyone else.

Im certainly hoping THIS comes back to haunt them.
    _108609635_p07md398.jpg
    The contempt for parliament and the average person personified in a single pic.

• Advertisement

It's going to be a comfortable Tory majority in the end. I stand by my prediction of 30 - 45 seats as the majority.

Precisely.

What we're witnessing is mass reassurance. Every detail is being twisted to make it seem like Labour are going to win - even though there is no evidence whatsoever that this is the case.

Betting cannot be trusted; it's nothing more than speculation. It's not evidential.

Seeing young people is somehow coming across as surprising - even though it was always known to be expected.

Third, high turnout is not because it's bad for the Tories but because of the significance of the election across the spectrum and even Leave voters would step barefoot on hot coals to reaffirm their Brexit stance.

We need some perspective. Far too much wishful thinking going on. Labour are set to lose and the Tories are expected to get a majority. That's the only known we have based on all polling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Betting cannot be trusted; it's nothing more than speculation. It's not evidential.

This is not true, betting is actually one of the best ways to predict future happenings, and the fact that the odds of a hung parliament are shortening means that is getting more likely.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/3349800/Predicting-the-future-with-the-power-of-betting.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Not as appalling as Britain under Johnson if elected.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

You can get 8/15 on a Tory majority with the bookies now. If you feel that confident a 50% return isn’t bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

marno21 wrote: »
    You can get 8/15 on a Tory majority with the bookies now. If you feel that confident a 50% return isn’t bad.

That was generally 1/4 just 5 days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I would agree that ordinarily a high turnout would indicate bad news for an austerity gov in power for almost a decade.

However, my hunch is that the higher than expected turnout is a direct result of Brexit, and the increase in votes cast will be evenly distributed across all parties. That's a possibility anyway. I think the only shock we're going to get is that the polls will be shown to be fairly accurate for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Infini wrote: »
    It would be a shock to be truthful for Labour to pull off a Majority and I honestly dont expect that result but I'm hopeful of at least the Tories and certainly the ringleaders being denied a Majority of any kind, their toxicity needs to go and all their problems they created with them. This is the kind of vote that can potential save or condemn a nation and I wonder if enough people over there can come out and put an end to this debacle by removing the Tories in favour of basically anyone else.

_108609635_p07md398.jpg

I'm not sure where I'd fall if I was voting, but one thing everyone must surely agree on is this chap is such a hate-able caricature of a man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Infini wrote: »

_108609635_p07md398.jpg

I 100% agree with you that it would be shock but when it comes to politics now I learned to expect the unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Appalling in here later on'??

It's not in here the Tories will be ruling. It's not 'in here' that will be outside the EU.

I will be here feeling sorry for the UK if this goes with the polls, even if a Tory majority is the best outcome for us if the UK is to actually get it's **** together and Brexits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Precisely.

What we're witnessing is mass reassurance. Every detail is being twisted to make it seem like Labour are going to win - even though there is no evidence whatsoever that this is the case.

Seeing young people is somehow coming across as surprising - even though it was always known to be expected.

Third, high turnout is not because it's bad for the Tories but because of the significance of the election across the spectrum and even Leave voters would step barefoot on hot coals to reaffirm their Brexit stance.

We need some perspective. Far too much wishful thinking going on. Labour are set to lose and the Tories are expected to get a majority. That's the only known we have based on all polling.

Who said Labour are going to win?

I've been in here all day and I don't recall seeing anyone stating that.

I recall a lot of talk about a hung parliament. And I personally believe that's what's going to happen.

The projection of your nerves speaks for itself.

The odds of a hung parliament really are plummeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

AllForIt wrote: »
    I would agree that ordinarily a high turnout would indicate bad news for an austerity gov in power for almost a decade.

However, my hunch is that the higher than expected turnout is a direct result of Brexit, and the increase in votes cast will be evenly distributed across all parties. That's a possibility anyway. I think the only shock we're going to get is that the polls will be shown to be fairly accurate for a change.

I have my doubts. High voter turnout would normally be very bad news for a ten year austerity government (it immediately brings to mind 'protest vote').

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Out to 1.53 for Con Maj, looks like they're slipping/drifting.
    Reckon the queen lady will move to Canada or somewhere, when JC takes the reigns.

MEHgC10.png

3FDuiPp.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Out to 1.53 for Con Maj, looks like they're slipping/drifting.
    Reckon the queen lady will move to Canada or somewhere, when JC takes the reigns.

MEHgC10.png

I think they're taking their cue from the general vibe on social media and from rumours of a high turnout.

High turnout would have to be worrying for the Tories, I suspect they don't want it and fear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Do we have to wait til 10 for an exit poll?

Do we have to wait until 10pm for an exit poll?

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Do we have to wait until 10pm for an exit poll?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Hung parliament beat down to 6/4 on Paddy power, I got it at 9/4 during the week.

It's going to be right I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Inquitus wrote: »
    Yes

Laura might have one for nine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

People focus on the high turnouts in middle class areas. Show the polling station in a working class area of Glasgow or Liverpool and you'll see a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Inquitus wrote: »
    3FDuiPp.png

I do find it interesting how there has been sooo much discussion on how Corbyn has allegedly alienated the traditional working class Labour supporters but little discussion about how Johnson's antics may have alienated the traditional One Nation Tory supporters.

If those voters just don't turn out because they can't bring themselves to vote anything but conservative but equally can't stomach the thought of Johnson as PM It could turn out to be a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

People focus on the high turnouts in middle class areas. Show the polling station in a working class area of Glasgow or Liverpool and you'll see a different story.

Many across twitter

Are you claiming there isn't !?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hung parliament beat down to 6/4 on Paddy power, I got it at 9/4 during the week.

It's going to be right I reckon.

A conservative majority is still the firm favorite.

You can have your dreams until 10 pm though :pac:

I will be celebrating with a cup of hot chocolate I have ready to go as soon as the exit poll is released. :cool:

• Advertisement

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I do find it interesting how there has been sooo much discussion on how Corbyn has allegedly alienated the traditional working class Labour supporters but little discussion about how Johnson's antics may have alienated the traditional One Nation Tory supporters.

If those voters just don't turn out because they can't bring themselves to vote anything but conservative but equally can't stomach the thought of Johnson as PM It could turn out to be a factor.

I fear most of those will bite the bullet and vote Tory. You might get a certain % of them voting for the Neither One Thing Nor The Other Party.

Advertisement