Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Whatever about people's feelings on Brexit, another hung parliament will be a disaster whatever way you look at it.
    They got nothing done on it in the last 2 years, most of it with a slim majority. Even with a renewed mandate I think there would still be rebels so anything other than a buffer of +15/20 seats for the eventual winner/coalition, to my mind condemns us all to another year or two of bickering and kicking the can down the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

listermint wrote: »
    Many across twitter

Are you claiming there isn't !?

I'm sceptical!

No doubt the turnout will be high, but if it goes higher than 70%, I would be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I expect the Tories to win a majority of around 30 seats. I'd like to be wrong. All I am hoping for is a few Tory big beasts losing their seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

sdanseo wrote: »
    to my mind condemns us all to another year or two of bickering and kicking the can down the road.

It will also stir tensions in the north if unionists believe there is a genuine chance of changing the WA.

A hung parliament is the worst possible outcome for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

tdf7187 wrote: »
    I fear most of those will bite the bullet and vote Tory. You might get a certain % of them voting for the Neither One Thing Nor The Other Party.

Or they could look at the terrible weather and decide Johnson isn't worth it.
    They may just not vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

My sis in law just what'sapped from London to say she had voted for Labour in the end.
    That's a bit like Ian Paisley putting out a papal flag. :)

So hard to know what is really going on across the UK.

Unless there is a total shock, it seems unlikely Labour will out poll the Tories in terms of votes.

Labour needs to win around 280-290 seats in order to form a coalition with the SNP.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

What I would like to see happening - and I know it's a long shot - would be a draw between the two big beasts i.e. the Conservatives and Labour to end up winning the exact same number of seats. In that scenario, you could just imagine the intense debate there would be over whether Johnson or Corbyn should be the post-election PM.

Failing that, then hopefully a different hung parliament outcome.

Bad strategy to constantly tell Leave and Tory voters that a hung parliament is likelier.

If anything, it'll encourage them to go and vote to make sure it does not happen.

Leave voters will not sit idly by and have Brexit annulled and have a Marxist installed in Downing Street.

WhiteMan32 wrote: »
    What I would like to see happening - and I know it's a long shot - would be a draw between the two big beasts i.e. the Conservatives and Labour to end up winning the exact same number of seats. In that scenario, you could just imagine the intense debate there would be over whether Johnson or Corbyn should be the post-election PM.

Failing that, then hopefully a different hung parliament outcome.

They would need to have the support of the smaller parties. Johnson will remain on as Prime Minister until Corbyn can demonstrate he can form a workable government with him as the Prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bad strategy to constantly tell Leave and Tory voters that a hung parliament is likelier.

If anything, it'll encourage them to go and vote to make sure it does not happen.

Leave voters will not sit idly by and have Brexit annulled and have a Marxist installed in Downing Street.

What are they gonna do? Call for another election?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Probably for all our sake/sanity a Tory majority might be the best thing. If Johnson only has a majority of say 20 it keeps the erg in the game.if he somehow got 60 odd seats then it kinda takes them out of the picture.the prospect of a hung parliament and the continuation of the **** show doesn’t bare thinking.with no more John bercow as speaker the fun is gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Post work queues are building now. I've seen tweets of similar situations in Lincoln and Islington.

It's hard to get a handle on what a high turnout might mean. Islington is solid Labour of course, don't know about Lincoln.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Claims that Johnson could genuinely be in trouble in Uxbridge - highly unlikely, but would be hilarious if he had to be made a Lord to continue as PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭Markcheese

My sis in law just what'sapped from London to say she had voted for Labour in the end.
    That's a bit like Ian Paisley putting out a papal flag. :)

So hard to know what is really going on across the UK.

Is that cos she thought voting lib dem is a wasted vote...?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Hope, the most useless emotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,038 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Yep, it's a killer.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

hots wrote: »
    I'm not sure where I'd fall if I was voting, but one thing everyone must surely agree on is this chap is such a hate-able caricature of a man.

the only person pretty much everyone in the UK would love to see lose their seat except, it would seem, the people of his constituency.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

I assume that's a useful mantra in the poker playing world. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Whatever about people's feelings on Brexit, another hung parliament will be a disaster whatever way you look at it.

Nah - it'd probably be the best thing for British politics. It would almost surely spell the end of the traditional two-party system, as one or the other main party would have to have seek a C&S agreement at the very least with one of the minor parties, and all the minor parties have a vested interest in seeing some kind of PR brought in sooner rather than later.

Get that in place before the next election and Britain's political landscape will be changed for ever ... and for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Claims that Johnson could genuinely be in trouble in Uxbridge - highly unlikely, but would be hilarious if he had to be made a Lord to continue as PM.

He only has a majority of 5000 odd there, on top of that if he manages to lose he'd be sacked without a conservative controlled government as they need to be in control to appoint a lord. Would be the greatest comeuppance if it happens too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Johnson will still be PM for at least another week whatever happens. Only way that Corbyn is PM tomorrow is if Labour get an overall majority.

Any other scenario, even Johnson losing his seat, and he's still the PM until someone else is appointed by the House. With Tories and Labour both having below a majority and unless the SNP come out immediately and say they will make a coalition with Labour then its still Johnson in charge, even if he has zero power in parliament.

Nah - it'd probably be the best thing for British politics. It would almost surely spell the end of the traditional two-party system, as one or the other main party would have to have seek a C&S agreement at the very least with one of the minor parties, and all the minor parties have a vested interest in seeing some kind of PR brought in sooner rather than later.

Get that in place before the next election and Britain's political landscape will be changed for ever ... and for the better.

According to the polls (yeah, I know, polls shmolls) the two largest parties combined vote is close to 80%. The two party system isn't going away any time soon, much as I wish it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Decent point, but the Brits had a referendum re switching to a fairer voting system in 2011 and flat out rejected it. Can't see that being tried again or any government doing it without their approval.

PR-STV or at least some method of proportional representation is the fairest system in countries where there are more than 2 large parties. We should be extremely thankful we have it even if it does make the technicalities of governance more complicated.
    tdf7187 wrote: »
    According to the polls (yeah, I know, polls shmolls) the two largest parties combined vote is close to 80%. The two party system isn't going away any time soon, much as I wish it was.

It's be interesting to see how the UK would turn out if there were perhaps 200 or so constituencies of 3 to 4 seats each instead of 650 1-seaters.

Decent point, but the Brits had a referendum re switching to a fairer voting system in 2011 and flat out rejected it..

True, didn't help though that neither of the two largest parties were keen on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Tactical voting site getvoting.org hit a peak of 55,000 users at one point and had to add another 45 servers to handle the load. That's a bit mad Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That's a massive strike rate. To get 3.5m to look at your site alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Water John wrote: »
    That's a massive strike rate. To get 3.5m to look at your site alone.

Sure Eskimo thinks the turnouts for the Tories he's so confident him and Kermit have put a fortune on paddy power. That's the level of confidence.

• Advertisement

Let's assume that Corbyn becomes the next Prime Minister, what political role will the architect of Brexit - Nigel Farage - play?

He's always been a thorn in the side of the Conservative Party. If he sees Brexit sold down the river, what moves might he make - or would he simply disappear from UK politics?

If Brexit isn't delivered, then millions of CP voters will flock back to him.

Advertisement