Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭circadian

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Tactical voting site getvoting.org hit a peak of 55,000 users at one point and had to add another 45 servers to handle the load. That's a bit mad Ted.

I love me some virtual scale sets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Let's assume that Corbyn becomes the next Prime Minister, what political role will the architect of Brexit - Nigel Farage - play?

He's always been a thorn in the side of the Conservative Party. If he sees Brexit sold down the river, what moves might he make - or would he simply disappear from UK politics?

If Brexit isn't delivered, then millions of CP voters will flock back to him.

Keep shouting from the sidelines after being rejected 8(?) times by the electorate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If that happens, it will be because the people didn't elect a majority of MPs in favour of Brexit. That's called democracy.
    If they do, then Brexit happens, democracy also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭bren2001

Let's assume that Corbyn becomes the next Prime Minister, what political role will the architect of Brexit - Nigel Farage - play?

He's always been a thorn in the side of the Conservative Party. If he sees Brexit sold down the river, what moves might he make - or would he simply disappear from UK politics?

None. No say. He didn't stand for a seat in Westminster. If he wanted a voice, he should have stood for election in Westminster.

He'll be warming up the Trump rallies for several months. He's made his money. Doesn't give a toss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He will go back to selling himself as anti something..

The brexit believers will have some difficulty giving that man money again after his last shenanigans. That little trick hasn't played out fully yet.

• Advertisement

Wherever he goes or whatever he does, he'll still be on every second Question Time.

Keep shouting from the sidelines after being rejected 8(?) times by the electorate.

We can all make sarcastic jibes about Farage, but if it weren't for him and his political effect from "the sidelines", none of this would ever have happened.

Having sway over millions of voters naturally changes how the major parties formulate policy.

I made a slight mistake above. If Brexit is not delivered, then millions of voters - from both Labour (5 million opted to Brexit) and the CP - will be hoovered up by Farage's mouth.

The question is - what will he do with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

circadian wrote: »
    I love me some virtual scale sets.
    Back in the good old days they'd have been opening boxes and imaging drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

We can all make sarcastic jibes about Farage, but if it weren't for him and his political effect from "the sidelines", none of this would ever have happened.

Having sway over millions of voters naturally changes how the major parties formulate policy.

I made a slight mistake above. If Brexit is not delivered, then millions of voters - from both Labour (5 million opted to Brexit) and the CP - will be hoovered up by Farage's mouth.

Would you mind rephrasing that? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He's a fraud.

A snakes oil salesman.

He's selling nothing but himself. Sells interviews sells nonsense. Sells himself

Say what you like about farage but if you respect that as a living. Then youre a fool.

• Advertisement

The question is - what will he do with them?

I meant to be sarcastic. The man has delivered zilch. And has no facility to deliver anything.
    I am convinced by other 'voices' that the UK would not vote to leave again. So let Farage lead the discontented wherever he wants. Follow a loudmouth of no substance and deserve the place to where he leads you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

tdf7187 wrote: »
    According to the polls (yeah, I know, polls shmolls) the two largest parties combined vote is close to 80%. The two party system isn't going away any time soon

It's already gone. What we've had for the last decade or so - and especially the last two elections (plus this one) - is a kind of franchise/alignment arrangement where a variety of no-hopers, some-hopers, big-hopes and purely ambitious egotists wear a rosette of one colour or the other. The whole Brexit shambles - and this election in particular - has demonstrated just how deeply fracture those two Pay-to-Play parties are.

In addition, the closeness of the Brexit referendum result has pushed people over the edge as far as their tolerance of being an unrepresented majority goes. So smaller parties will renew their efforts to see their share of the vote properly rewarded, and provided they get their public relations/voter education act together, the electorate is in the right mood now to be persuaded that the deserve a system in which their vote does count, "safe" seat be damned.

I don't think Britain is electorally mature enough to understand or implement PR-STV straight off, but they might be able to manage the German system.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Who is doing the BBC coverage?

I think Dimbleby stepped down?

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is that cos she thought voting lib dem is a wasted vote...?

Not sure. All she said was the only candidate to stop her Tory was the Lab one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Who is doing the BBC coverage?

I think Dimbleby stepped down?

Hugh Edwards is leading the coverage.

Tom Bradby on ITV and Dermot Murnaghan on Sky News. Adam Boulton has been shafted it would seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well just under two hours until we get the official exit and after months of this mess we may potentially have some idea of how the political landscape in the U.K. will look like for hopefully the next five years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Maybe he'll decide to turn up for EU committee meetings and represent the interests of his EP constituents? :rolleyes:

Nah, I don't think so either. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

In the words of Britians greatest artist ( who happens to be half Irish , liverpool Irish ) , in the words of John Lennon who is 39 years dead this week ,

Power to the People,
    Power to the People ,
    Power to the People,
    right on

And to change the words of another lennon classic

No long blonde haired yellow bellied son of Boris
    gonna mother hubbard soft soap me
    with a pocket full of lies and Brexit
    I have had enough of reading lies
    by neurotic pyscotic pig headed Tories
    I have had enough of watching scenes
    with schziophrenic, egocentric, paranoniac, prima donna Tories
    Im sick to death of hearing things
    from uptight short sighted narrow minded hypocritical Tories
    All I want
    just gimme me some truth
    All I want is the truth
    just gimme some truth, NOW.

Hopeully the people in the north of England remeber the words of these songs from the norths greatest son. Remeber that the Tories dont just not care about ordinary people , they want to hurt ordinary people. The Tories are a shower of aristocratic wierdos , who you wouldnt put in charge of an empy pram , and definatley not a country. The Tories for 40 years have inflicted incredible self harm on their own country and own people. Aided by a biased media, who are a disgrace to journalism and democracy in general.

The Tories tryed to destroy in the 80s the north of England, liverpool particularly , Scotland , the Welsh , the minors and working class people in general. In the 00s with austerity they tried to destroy the underclass. And now with Brexit, they are coming for the middles classes and business community to destroy. The b@#$$##ds when they are finished , British will be destroyed , UK RIP becasuse of this sick shower of lying ,cheating ,morally bankrupt ,fake, scummy, cruel ,pompous, big headed, callous, deceitful , sneaky , cowardly, vulgar , cunning , heartless nasty party called the Tories. All I hope in my lifetime that the ordinary British person will wake up to the fact the Tories dont not jusr care about ordinary people , they want to inflict as much pain as humanly possible on the communities and citzens of the UK.

So I hope now today especially in the north of England , that when people from.there when they enter the polling booth, never forget what Tories did to their fathers and mothers and neighbours ,and communities and cities and what Thatcher did in 80s ,( the greatest example of self harm on a region in western europe in last 50 years ), what Caneron and co did in this decade with austerity and what Johnston is doing with the ****storm that is called Brexit.
    Wake up Uk wake up the Uk. The Tories can never be trusted. Hopefully tonight the Tories are sent packing with their tail between their aristocratic lying tails.
    In the words of John Lennon , Power to the People , power to the people right on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'd say you felt better after hitting the Reply button with that, Sonny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Spent the last eight hours dragging grannies out in the rain to vote and shouting through letter boxes in my ten words of Kurdish of the need to get down the polling station.

I’m doubtful it’ll be enough but the ground campaign of Labour has been fantastic. The exit poll in a couple of hours will probably frame the result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Hugh Edwards is leading the coverage.

Tom Bradby on ITV and Dermot Murnaghan on Sky News. Adam Boulton has been shafted it would seem.

It must be first televised election with neither Richard or David Dimbleby involved in it.
    Richard presented it from 1950 (the first TV election) to 1964. David was a reporter with various roles from 1964 to 1974, and he then fronted it on the BBC every election since 1979.

Hung parliament seems to be on the slide according to the bookies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

James Naughtie and Emma Barnett on Radio 4 from 9:45 also.

Hung parliament seems to be on the slide according to the bookies...

Yeah. Odds, ever so slightly, beginning to indicate a Tory majority.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I don't think Britain is electorally mature enough to understand or implement PR-STV straight off, but they might be able to manage the German system.

What is there to understand STV?

Could not be simpler.

'Put the candidates in the order of your choice marking your ballot with numbers 1, 2, 3, etc as far as you wish.'

What could be simpler - no wasted vote, the major parties in safe seats could even field two candidates and allow the electorate to choose the one they prefer.

The counting might be trickier, but that is off-line from the voter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

As we wait, I was thinking just how little impact both the Brexit Party and Farage in particular have had on this election.

After the EU election Farage was going to lead the BP into the GE, to deliver Brexit and reform the entire system

Then he simply gave up. 'The deal is awful, but I 100% back the deal' seemed to be his message. He became a complete irrelevance.

It is quite a rollercoaster from only weeks before the EU elections having nothing, getting the biggest share of the vote in those elections, and then returning to complete irrelevance once again.

I don't believe in you, but God, please...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bookies have Uxbridge and South Ruislip soundly Tory as ever. 1/8 on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

I’d say Tory majority of 35. A few high profile Tory casualties - Raab possibly.

Advertisement