Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Charisma, no. The right political ideology, no. But he has integrity.

Do you watch the queen's speech he was asked. Yes, I watch it in the morning, he answers. Integrity indeed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭hometruths

Sometimes confirmation biases mean people can get it really wrong, because they just feel it in their gut....
    quokula wrote: »
    An internationally recognised non profit organisation, which has no affiliation to any party in the UK or otherwise, and had no preconceptions about the result, conducted a study and published a result. All data was shown transparently, and the BBC, who will have presumably also done their own due diligence, published the report. BBC reporters have been seen to jump the gun on Twitter reporting incorrect facts etc, but they have a pretty good track record when it comes to publishing articles about reports such as this.

The organisation in question has commissioned similar studies in other countries and is not considered biased or controversial. Nobody from other parties disputed the report and no evidence was provided to dispute it.

You decided that you just felt it in your gut that the report must be wrong, despite having no evidence. You then went and found what you claim to be evidence, which that Labour’s claim that 400k more pensioners are in poverty is false. The source of the evidence you quoted contained a paragraph, which you I presume purposely chose to remove when quoting it, that said official government figures say that 400k more pensioners are in poverty, which goes a long way to validating Labour’s claim.

There’s no point in continuing this discussion as you’re unwilling to accept the facts at hand, and it is barely relevant to ongoing debate anyway, so I’m going to leave it at that.

That 0% Labour ad 'research' has had a bit of an update today:
    Our first analysis of the Labour ads was based on data we had exported from the Facebook Ad Library API as daily CSV files on December 1 through December 4. On December 12, we discovered the data covering the period between December 3 and 4 was missing values. That day, we re-scraped the data for ads published December 1 to 4 and conducted the same analysis on the resulting dataset. We found that seven out of 104 Labour ads (6.73%) linked to webpages containing claims deemed inaccurate or needing more context by Full Fact.

https://firstdraftnews.org/latest/thousands-of-misleading-conservative-ads-side-step-scrutiny-thanks-to-facebook-policy/

So the "experts" figures were based on incorrect data.

Not a great look to be honest for an organisation which claims to pride itself on helping "voters in the UK get verified information in order to make the most informed decision on voting day"

The original research was based on bogus data, therefore it was bogus research like I said.

These are the facts at hand quokula, are you willing to accept them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Bookies' odds increasingly indicating a Tory majority. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Where are folk gonna be tuning in? Bercow on sky might be the best choice. Probably be flicking but think sky will be default home for next 9 or so riveting hours.

Yup. Sky for me with a dabble of BBC NI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I know that, and you know that, but an electorate that can't understand "why we haven't left [the EU] yet" that's been reared on a diet of single-MP constituencies, safe seats and the "catastrophic" possibility of a coalition government ... ?

It is indeed an impressively simple system for the voter - and yet remains relatively rare as an electoral process across most modern democracies, many of them preferring to opt for a list system or some other complication.
    Well in 2011, the message (that seemed to get traction) was that STV meant that some people got two votes. Yep, having your vote transfer meant you got two or more votes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Betfair odds shortening on Tory majority. Could be an anti climax of an evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Betfair odds shortening on Tory majority. Could be an anti climax of an evening.

icon14.png

We'll know for pretty much certain just after 10 pm. 65 minutes to go :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

All of us are guessing until 10pm comes along. Wish the clock would hurry up!

The idea of Corbyn attending a NATO summit makes me want to reach for the bucket.

Let's hope that it just does - not - happen.

That said, I'd be interested to see Trump take Corbyn down on his NATO stance.

icon14.png

We'll know for pretty much certain just after 10 pm. 65 minutes to go :cool:
    We'll know for certain what voters have told the polsters, what they have actually put on the ballot paper is another story. The referendum was not kind to them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Do you watch the queen's speech he was asked. Yes, I watch it in the morning, he answers. Integrity indeed.

What? He's a republican. Why one earth would anyone listen to a speech read out by an unelected old biddy, written by a speech writer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The idea of Corbyn attending a NATO summit makes me want to reach for the bucket.

What like worse than trump?

Hysterical I think is what youd call your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Makes no difference. How can anyone know?

listermint wrote: »
    What like worse than trump?

Hysterical I think is what youd call your post

Well, I'm desperately hoping for a Johnson majority - even by 1, if necessary - just to avoid a Marxist government.

Like all Marxist governments, it leads to nothing but damage and despair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭cmac2009

What? He's a republican. Why one earth would anyone listen to a speech read out by an unelected old biddy, written by a speech writer.

Wooosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Voted in south London....biggest turnout I have seen in the last 20 years
    Not sure what it means..nothing much in Dulwich,South Norwood I suppose where Labour usually walk it

Going to be very close

I will miss David Dimbleby on the BBC ...best anchor by a mile
    Huh Edwards (who is my neighbour) is very dry

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Unfortunately this is proof that people don't know who they are voting for :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50761707

48 people in Liverpool given ballot papers for the wrong constituency so their votes will be re taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Take all the bookies odds with a pinch of salt.
    Remember Hilary big favourite on the night,
    Brexit too was a big underdog.
    We'll know in an hour:)

Well, I'm desperately hoping for a Johnson majority - even by 1, if necessary - just to avoid a Marxist government.

Like all Marxist governments, it leads to nothing but damage and despair.

You're a real man for the hyperbole

I hope your aware it doesn't really mean anything to anyone in here. You can't change voting opinions so probably can lay off the silly sun rethoric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Bercow on Sky coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

John Bercow is buttering up Sky News straight off the bat.

Nigel Farage released a tweet encouraging people to get out there and vote.

He's right, too.

Worth a watch. Nice to see his traditional British clothing back on! We may well see more of this in a post-Brexit world.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1205210528211185664

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,438 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nigel Farage

Soon to be 'absolutely' redundant, job wise and politically.

He's right, too.

Worth a watch. Nice to see his traditional British clothing back on! We may well see more of this in a post-Brexit world.

You can always always judge the calibre of a person by the calibre of their heroes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Yeah Boris the man who decides to hide in a ****ing fridge so he doesn't have to talk to a journalist is the real strong leader the UK needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,805 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Voting Brexit Party is a complete waste of a vote.

What the UK needs is a solid majority to bring stability back. Anything less is more chaos.

Yeah Boris the man who decides to hide in a ****ing fridge so he doesn't have to talk to a journalist is the real strong leader the UK needs.

I think he was going to enter the fridge anyway.

It was a milk round etc. and he was stocking the van.
    Voting Brexit Party is a complete waste of a vote.

What the UK needs is a solid majority to bring stability back. Anything less is more chaos.

There are some constituencies in which traditional Labour voters will never vote Conservative - even for Brexit.

With the Brexit Party, it can hoover up those Labour votes and allow the Conservatives to win those seats.

So, it's not as straight-forward as you've suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Daily Mail are not sounding too confident about Boris Johnson ???

The pictures of queues in London are massive

Putney, Vauxhall, etc

Most people in London I know have felt so impotent since the Brexit referendum....
    All analysis points to Brexit being a nightmare for London (already is) and people in London had no recourse as Brexit was being pushed through by the Tories in any rubbish format they could get away with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

He's right, too.

https://twitter.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1205210528211185664

About as inspiring as Del Boy!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Water John wrote: »
    Bercow on Sky coverage.

He was already in or he’s going to be on the panel?

Advertisement