Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

It goes to show that the polls can be wrong. Not always in favour of the Opposition, but also in favour of the ruling party.

Johnson is the most successful PM in terms of majority since Margaret Thatcher.

Corbyn performed worse than Michael Foot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    If the exit polls represent the real results, that's the worst Labour defeat since forever? And Corbyn will absolutely have to go

1935 Ramsay McDonald etc
    One seat for the Greens......wow the Green Wave across Europe is alive and well....

Thats FPTP for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

SNP must be absolutely over the moon! Incredible result for them aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Berserker wrote: »
    No identity as a leader. Hard to figure out what he stood for on Brexit and the only other thing I associate with him is antisemitism and the never-ending issues surrounding that.

Corbyn is a closet leaver leading a party of remainers. That was never going to end well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,479 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

sdanseo wrote: »
    How is that a majority of 86? 326 is a majority no?

They measure it as the difference between CON seats and notCON seats, so 86 is correct.
    In theory it would only take say 43 bye-elections or crossing-the-house to nullify it obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If the result is any where this, one can have little sympathy for little Britain.

The Scots will go majority for Indy.

Oddly settles the matter of EU so. lets move on.
    Corbyn will resign, no need to go roaring for his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭crossman47

With that majority I don't think so. He'll swagger back to EU and turn the screw now. The deal he got is not great, he'll go get better now.

Why would EU change? hes taking UK out. Let them go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Bye bye Jeremy you won’t be missed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Wipeout wales, midlands and north for labour it seems. It was emphatically the brexit election and thats where they're going. Wish them all the best with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Hey folks the exit polls were wrong in 2015 and can be wrong again ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

And tonight is the result of Jeremy Corbyn's destruction of the Labour Party.

He's turned the party into the hard left which has a decent chunk of fanatics but has alienated a large part of the country that could never vote for them. I have met many people who hate the Tories with a passion but could never vote for Corbyn.

With less extreme policies, a proper stance on Brexit and less of the 1960s rubbish, I know many would have voted Labour. However Brexiteers couldn't vote for him, business people couldn't vote for him, many centerists couldn't vote for him and many remainers couldn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Well it's only the exit poll so still gotta wait and see how it ultimately pans out but we cant save em from their own stupidity if they actually voted for the Tories in such numbers. End of the day I will feel sorry for those English who didn't vote for this who ultimately get screwed over by Brexit but I have no sympathy if they ultimately crash out despite all the warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

This just shows if the remainers had had their way and had a second undemocratic referendum the leave vote would have increased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,286 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Really? What screw does he actually have.

He can now leave without a deal, as he has the numbers to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,564 ✭✭✭brevity

Can’t say I’m surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There can be no doubt now Brexit is what the UK electorate want. Voted for it in 2016, the Tories got most seats in 2017, and this campaign which has been entirely about 'Get Brexit Done' has seemingly resulted in the UK voters giving it a thumping seal of approval.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

duffman13 wrote: »

Yep. IndyRef 2 on the way in Scotland if Sturgeon will have a say in it. Big result for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Exactly, if people wanted a 2nd Brexit referendum this was the chance to get one, they rejected it, adios.

Yep, 'will of the people' is definitely to get out of the EU.

Whether they even understand it is a different question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

It's called democracy folks

Yep, remainers and their ilk aren't fond of it when it doesn't go their way. Very undemocratic of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭greenfield21

With that majority I don't think so. He'll swagger back to EU and turn the screw now. The deal he got is not great, he'll go get better now.

Is that possible, could no deal be back on the table?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Hey folks the exit polls were wrong in 2015 and can be wrong again ....

Not by much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The conservative party chairman is asking to wait until there are actual votes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Corbyn gone by the morning.

Britain leaving the EU will happen now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My word. That's a horrible result for Labour going from the BBC/Sky/ITV exit poll. If that poll is correct; Jeremy Corbyn's time is limited now as party leader of the Labour party. He is heading into serious trouble with that provisional result tonight. According to Ed Balls on ITV; it could be the biggest election loss for Labour since WW2. The people of the UK do deserve with what they get with deciding on Brexit. All those tory MP's that attempted to break away from the main government in the HoC must be in utter disappointment with the outcome. All of that work that they get in getting to this point feels like a great waste now. They could have, along with the other people who were remain, accelerated the popularity of the Conservatives in the UK with this big result from this latest exit poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

duffman13 wrote: »

Yeah, when there's a hard border between Scotland and England it will do wonders for Scotland. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Listening to a podcast, the exit poll is based on 100 count centres out of 40,000 I mean it could be horrendously wrong but Jesus Christ, I thought this could go either way but that's a tanking, they are so far away from the margin of error even! Crazy, Corbyn is finished in politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

What rubbish. The EU deal is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭crossman47

Berserker wrote: »
    Yep, remainers and their ilk aren't fond of it when it doesn't go their way. Very undemocratic of them.

Maybe but they will be on the right side of history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Is that possible, could no deal be back on the table?

With a majority like that, it most definitely will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Not by much

The 2015 exit poll from memory underestimated the conservative seat numbers.

Advertisement