Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

Bercow having a nice little niggle at Raab there regarding trade deal with the U.S. :D At least someone is enjoying themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Bercow just fired a missile at Raab "how long do you thing the trade talks with the US will take?" No clear answer forthcoming, unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭boardise

For all it's faults, historical and current, it is not a kip of a country. Far from it.

For a lot of us, and those of us who have loved ones there still, it was a place of great opportunity, employment, education, home-owning, of getting out of this backward kip as it was in the '80's and beforehand.

Your post really smacks of an inability to accept democracy, and not only that, of another sovereign state's democracy. Like, who the actual f... do you think you are ? ? ?

It is one of life's small pleasures to see people like you on the wrong side of any result.

Listermint comes across as a pathetic moron whose mindless vapourings can and should be totally ignored.

This may sound hyperbolic, but Johnson - I believe - will go down as the modern day Churchill, to whom he wrote a biography.

Like Churchill, Johnson is standing up for the nation-state - of course, in very different circumstances.

But when we needed it, a charismatic leader in Johnson has turned up to deliver on the will of the British people.

That's what matters.

That's why Corbyn is gone.

That's why the UK is moving into an exciting new chapter in her history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭PressRun

Think it's amazing too that all of this is being levelled solely at Corbyn. All Labour leaders for the last few decades have struggled to get elected with the exception of Blair who only got treated with the kid gloves because he pandered to the right and hounded out left wing policies and individuals from the party. The truth is, British media and establishment don't want truly left wing leaders in power and will throw the kitchen sink at it to make sure it doesn't happen. Labour will only get in by essentially being Tory. What are you supposed to do with that? The mainstream media in Britain were a disgrace throughout this election.

The only positive from it is we might see the union crumble now. George Osborne saying a united Ireland is on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Very unlikely, but still wonder if the exit polls are a bit off, have memories of backing the Trump at 10/1 just as very early counting started.

NoMaj is hovering around around/over 50/1, but that does also demonstrate the implied climb they would need.
    Anyway, worth a wait until the very 1st actual results arrive, rather than hearsay or polls.

I'm sure you knwo this, but be aware that Labour nearly always go into an early lead as the quick-returning constituencies are north east (although their red wall seems to have broken).
    But don't get lulled by Labour winning a few seats, the underlying %s/swings are more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Be interesting to see how accurate this exit poll is. They normally are: four times out of the last five. But I'm not sure the methodology is accurate where tactical voting has taken place. FYI, it's extrapolated from about 22k voter's responses at 144 polling stations and uses previous exit polls to extrapolate the election result for the other 50k polling stations.

Berserker wrote: »
    Worst abuse I ever received was in Cardiff. Thought I was going to get a hiding that day. Not sure who they like, in terms of politics, from my interactions. Independence was never mentioned. Did you get to the bottom of it?
    I was in North Wales and the people there are far more for greater autonomy than those from the South, few really want full independence but they're happy to have the semi autonomous institutions they have now. Having the freedom to use their language was one of the few things they actually fought for as well as burning down English holiday homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

It's shocking that Sammy Wilson still hasn't realised that the political ground has shifted and that the DUP are once again no longer relevant.

Shocking but not unexpected - DUP never take responsibility for anything and rarely if ever accept reality

Is there any word on North Belfast? or South Belfast for that matter

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

This labour puppet on the tonight show is making a right show of himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Pretty unprecedented to not have a result by now. Very strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A recount is underway in the north over 1,700 votes which labour had a near 8,000 majority before this election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

What is particularly satisfying is that the unprecedented personal attacks on the PM Boris as an individual didn't work a jot. Completely backfired if you ask me which is what I was hoping for. That stunt with the photo of the child on coats was a particularly odious tactic. Odious in the way it was spun I mean, not particularly referring to the journalist. He had already seen it in the morning paper that morning and discussed it and apologized for the situation on LBC hours earlier.

Chances of Swinson losing her seat - according to the Exit Poll - is 50:50.

Quite extraordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

devnull wrote: »
    Seeing some of the people involved in Momentum posting on Twitter is depressing reading.

Apparently their hero lost because
    1) The media smeared him
    2) People in his own party smeared him.
    3) Blairites
    4) Tory Lite types

The fact that he lost because of the fact that the public just didn't like him enough, doesn't occur to Momentum.

If Momentum carry on with this and get a new extreme left leader in then they'll get hammered in 2024 as well.

As I said before, so many people in UK I know who voted for remain voted Tory tonight, as they felt Corbyn was more dangerous than Brexit. This is what Jeremy Corbyn has done to the Labour Party. He has made them unelectable even to people who were remain who hate the Tories.

Fantatics never learn as there is always a ghost to exercise.
    2024 based on these numbers would also be out of reach, so one can be looking at almost 20 years of Tories rule... but sure it was the media, the Russians, the Lizard people at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

This thread really shows the pathetic nature of both extreme sides of anything in life.

The UK will neither tank nor soar on Brexit. As always the centre will prevail, some areas/industries will gain and some will lose. As is always the case.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

ITV with bookies odds for next Labour leader 1 man (Keir Starmer) and 7 women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pretty unprecedented to not have a result by now. Very strange

Obviously closer than normal.
    Previously they could do a mega rushed count in these Newc/Sund constituencies and even if it was wrong by 200 votes it didn't matter as it was the difference between a 7200 Labour win and a 7400 Labour win.
    But presumably its close enough that they have to be more careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Starsports betting agency have Keir Starmer as next leader of Labour at 3/1.

Owen Jones is now on ITV's election coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Chances of Swinson losing her seat - according to the Exit Poll - is 50:50.

Quite extraordinary.

Not really
    Was predicted beforehand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The recount in Wales suggests the exit poll is correct and Labour are going to have a terrible night.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Ribs1234

This may sound hyperbolic, but Johnson - I believe - will go down as the modern day Churchill, to whom he wrote a biography.

Like Churchill, Johnson is standing up for the nation-state - of course, in very different circumstances.

But when we needed it, a charismatic leader in Johnson has turned up to deliver on the will of the British people.

That's what matters.

I hope he is not completely like Churchill, lots of people died unnecessarily under his command in the years before his famous moment of triumph

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Obviously closer than normal.
    Previously they could do a mega rushed count in these Newc/Sund constituencies and even if it was wrong by 200 votes it didn't matter as it was the difference between a 7200 Labour win and a 7400 Labour win.
    But presumably its close enough that they have to be more careful.
    Yeah but not everywhere surely.

Likes of Sunderland used to be done and dusted in 50mins. Is something up here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how accurate this exit poll is. They normally are: four times out of the last five. But I'm not sure the methodology is accurate where tactical voting has taken place. FYI, it's extrapolated from about 22k voter's responses at 144 polling stations and uses previous exit polls to extrapolate the election result for the other 50k polling stations.

Most pollsters and experts dismiss tactical voting as a factor in UK elections. This election will be no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

listermint wrote: »
    Object all you like but we've had decades of the likes of yourself and others calling ireland a kip off to find work in the green green pastures.

I can call it what I like frankly. Dish it out but can't take it. Someone else already called Ireland a kip a few pages ago.

The UK has people dying in beds being asked to come in for proof of disability on social security. They have a larger homeless problem than here and mother's going without food so they can have their kids eat sandwiches.

Kip

I was raised in the UK and have lived in Ireland for 20 years now, there is no comparison, Ireland is infinitely better as a country to raise a family and kids, I would never go back to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Newcastle coming in now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Newcastle declares first result. Think you could have gotten 7/1 on that earlier on.

Goes to LAB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

That's what matters.

Can you stop with the ridiculous posts

Churchill was a giant among men (even if one didn't believe in his views of empire)
    He worked 15 hour days and had a brain the size of a planet

Boris Johnson is a lying chancer (who has a good brain) but is lazy and without principles
    If Johnson had been around during the war Liverpool would have been talking German

The man behind Johnson won the election.....the terrible Dominic Cummings who manged the message and the slogans and hammered them home

If you have to do the ridiculous gloating can you at least give the credit where it is due ....a annalist spin doctor is running the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Newcastle Central

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,506 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

First count result from Newcastle Upon Tyne Central up now. Labour Hold.

Advertisement