Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd disagree. It doesn't matter whether it's a, b or c that actually emerges just the perception of what has emerged. And you can bet your backside that the Tories will paint whatever the outcome of the trade talks as option c.

Reality doesn't matter.
    Tories can spin what ever they want in the UK; if option A or B happens all it means is that (what ever is UK at the time) will become less and less important in the world. if option C happens that proves that there is something seriously wrong in the EU that needs to be addressed and that countries should in fact leave accordingly. Either outcome is a benefit from my view because A & B will mean increased power of EU (relatively speaking) and C would help EU (and / or EU countries) become more competitive globally speaking.

A & B is also going to be a trigger for a future UK rejoining EU but with a very much needed attitude adjustment of it's leaders and people and (hopefully) help drive EU in the right pragmatic direction again as they have done previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭quokula

https://twitter.com/Orwell_Fan_Fan/status/1205253414915104770

I’ve had more than a few friends sharing this. That’s how desperate the situation has become for ordinary people leaving in the UK now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Most conservatives do including Cameron

The unwitting architect of all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

duffman13 wrote: »
    Bercow really dislikes Boris by the way he speaks!

Bercow just doesnt like being upstaged

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Berserker wrote: »
    Most do, I'd say. He'd be an absolute nightmare to deal with. Completely unpredictable.

It's not that he's unpredictable, but that he's described as nasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭duffman13

NIMAN wrote: »
    If it turns out how they are predicting, it kind of makes a mockery for all these, "lets have a 2nd referendum cos most didn't know what they were voting on" demands.

Leave would have won with a bigger majority.

I think your making assumption based on this election. I work in the UK a lot and have family there. Anectodially it's absolute exhaustion with Brexit. Boris promised to end Brexit, people bought the promise along with Corbyn being heavily unlikable to the electorate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Tory government for the foreseeable future so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

quokula wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Orwell_Fan_Fan/status/1205253414915104770

I’ve had more than a few friends sharing this. That’s how desperate the situation has become for ordinary people leaving in the UK now.
    Boris Derangement Syndrome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

The slow death of the UK continues... Tories again? Really... because the last 8/9 years have been so wonderful.

The way it seems to be going, I doubt the Labour party will be around by the next GE in 2024. The Tories will be the one main party, while all the other parties take onboard Labour refugees. The out come is no clear opposition. The UK crumbles and the Tories are there to lore over their country of dust, and poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

quokula wrote: »
    It’s so desperately sad that a party can’t have a fiercely intelligent black woman campaign for them because the racist media will make up falsehoods and tear them apart.
    She may be smart (if memory challenged) and well-meaning, but really it's all in the delivery and presentation of such. Yelling and shouting isn't efficent communicaiton for negotiations.

There was also plenty of incidences of missing facts, numbers gone astray, and an occassional falsehood delivered which really didn't help.

Of course, can ignore all that, and whip out the aul racist card, for ease of convenience.

Labour regognised her persona wasn't suitable for winning votes, which is why hasn't been seen in eons.

• Advertisement

The Lib Dem candidate in Scotland on Sky has her in the sand tbh

This Lib Dem wan on Sky News is away with the fairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

devnull wrote: »
    Yes Labour lost leave votes to the Brexit Party, but they also lost a lot of remain votes as well so got eaten from both ends by all their fence sitting and if you add an unpopular leader to that they don't have a hope.

The Tories might like to frame this as a straight remain or leave election but really it isn't since there is other factors at play. If they wanted to find out percentage of leave or remain they should have held a referendum that asked that question.

A pro remain, centre left Labour Party would have done better tonight as yes they would still lost the leavers, but they wouldn't have lost the remainers as well. As I said, I don't know a single remainer who voted Labour.

I am a Remainer and I voted Labour. I joined the Lib Dems months ago but my Labour MP is a Remainer and tactically it made sense to vote for her, so I did. As an Irish person and a staunch pro-European, I am very sad about these results tonight if the exit polls turn out to be true ☹️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Listening to Mike Nesbitt makes you lament his resignation as UUP leader.

Eloquent, realistic, sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

NIMAN wrote: »
    If it turns out how they are predicting, it kind of makes a mockery for all these, "lets have a 2nd referendum cos most didn't know what they were voting on" demands.

Leave would have won with a bigger majority.

That was always the case. I've family in London who voted remain and they swore they'd vote leave in a 2nd referendum. They like the EU but the result needs to be respected in their minds. Said that before on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

Bercow just doesnt like being upstaged

Battle of the EGOS methinks.

i would love to hear from Blair, Major & Heseltine.
    John Bruton looked and sounded thoroughly depressed.

Probably half his problem with being the leader of that party.

When's the next seat due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Just tuning in to this thread now.

That result, if accurate, disgusts me. The UK, or more specifically England, disgusts me.

A very sad day, and further alarming proof that in the battle of populism versus sanity across western democracies, populism is winning by a mile.

Next 5 mins for next seat apparently

Think I'm done for the night! Slow going now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yes, excellent points made.

He believes it's English nationalism that is the threat to the union, not Irish nationalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,280 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Corbyn a scapegoat, easy to blame him. I think it was about the bigger picture though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Nody wrote: »
    Tories can spin what ever they want in the UK; if option A or B happens all it means is that (what ever is UK at the time) will become less and less important in the world. if option C happens that proves that there is something seriously wrong in the EU that needs to be addressed and that countries should in fact leave accordingly. Either outcome is a benefit from my view because A & B will mean increased power of EU (relatively speaking) and C would help EU (and / or EU countries) become more competitive globally speaking.

A & B is also going to be a trigger for a future UK rejoining EU but with a very much needed attitude adjustment of it's leaders and people and (hopefully) help drive EU in the right pragmatic direction again as they have done previously.
    Sorry, I meant for internal rUK politics.

That said, no matter what way it turns out rUK will still have periods of strong economic growth. If these periods end up out of sync with the rest of the continent, those who wish other countries to exit the EU will point to this "success" as being as a result of being outside the EU.

As I said, it's not about being true or false, but perception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

Shelga wrote: »
    Just tuning in to this thread now.

That result, if accurate, disgusts me. The UK, or more specifically England, disgusts me.

A very sad day, and further alarming proof that in the battle of populism versus sanity across western democracies, populism is winning by a mile.

it's called DEMOCRACY.
    often times it will not go your way, but that is its' strength if you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Corbyn a scapegoat, easy to blame him. I think it was about the bigger picture though.

The bigger picture was his job . Who else should be blamed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Tell anyone planning to do a border booze run not to bother, might only get 80new pence on the eurodolla' - they way things are going (live:0.83)

Funny you should say that, I did the pre-Christmas beer run to Newry earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Kate Hoey blaming remainer Labout MPs and says she is very positive !!! about Bojo win !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

going nowhere ... And we're not going anywhere ....

Because that's a great message to send

Also Momentum is supposedly about movement

epic facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Newcastle East

LAB win. reduced majority

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

another labour vote down ,

Advertisement