Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Truly great leaders are known by their surnames.

Alexander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Laura Kuensberg straight in with the knife for Corbyn...does not like him at all

I'd say the dislike is like o Connoll street. Two ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Akrasia wrote: »
    So why were there queues at polling stations?

Is this the US strategy of under resourcing polling stations where they know the opposition are strong?
    There may have been additional ID checks this time around but I'm not entirely sure on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Swindon North

CON win by 16171 votes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gmisk wrote: »
    Good news from today...the brexit party not a single seat...bar that hmm

Any idea about northern Ireland
    Nah the Brexit party won't get seats there either :p

Keep an eye here :
    https://sluggerotoole.com/2019/12/12/the-slugger-big-bumper-uk-general-election-results-live-blog/

An Alliance source says party cautiously optimistic they could be set to take North Down. Not hopeful about East Belfast though
    Tentative talk that Alliance may have polled 30% in Strangford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Anyone who stands against membership of the UK are dodgy fraudsters.

Never gets old. :)

Perfidious Albion being Perfidious! :)

---

I'm watching the BBCNI coverage. Poots squirming is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Nah the Brexit party won't get seats there either :p

Keep an eye here :
    https://sluggerotoole.com/2019/12/12/the-slugger-big-bumper-uk-general-election-results-live-blog/

An Alliance source says party cautiously optimistic they could be set to take North Down. Not hopeful about East Belfast though
    Tentative talk that Alliance may have polled 30% in Strangford!
    You know what I meant lol
    Would love to see the alliance get that seat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Notable leaders have been known by surnames both good and bad. Stalin and hitler and the like come to mind. They may have been persuasive leaders but they were horrible human beings.

i said leaders i didn't make any judgement on their personal/human qualities.

you cannot deny Thatcher, Churchill, Hitler, Lenin, Castro, Reagan, Mandela, Ghandi, de Gaulle were great leaders.

somehow i cant see Johnson being added to that list. he's a spoofer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Ivan

Peter.

Sammy Wilson saying on prime time within the last half an hour that boris Johnson might still need the DUP yet. Unless the DUP will be taking over from the police officers who open the black door at no 10 Downing Street I'm not sure what boris Johnson will need them for.

• Advertisement

you cannot deny Thatcher, Churchill, Hitler, Lenin, Castro, Reagan, Mandela, Ghandi, de Gaulle were great leaders.

I didn't say you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,229 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Totally agree.
    There are leaders I really disliked but undoubtedly were good leaders...I am thinking of Ian Paisley too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,483 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Labour have no chance in Scotland.
    Even the Troy reassurance was flash in the pan.

SNP are doing way better in the GE than they are in the Assembly. That alone says a lot.

Faslane ? The first and best answer to any question about Scottish independence is to say what actually happened in Ireland. The pound ? , the CTA ? , exports to the UK ? ( down from over 90% to 9% (actually 7% excluding NI)) Pensions ? Reciprocal arrangements on XYZ ? Ground Rent ?

Faslane ? Treaty Ports.

An alternative answer is that the US supported their boomers for many years in that locality from a depot ship.

The assembly was originally constituted in a way by Westminster so that a majority for the SNP couldn't be achieved, yet they've done that.

While I agree that Scotland is probably lost to Labour, I think it's more likely that the SNP would go into coalition with LAB than CON.

The technicalities of the Scottish divorce are not beyond the bounds of solving. The SNP have said that they would remove the nuclear forces from Faslane - however I suspect the SNP would concede that it would become a treaty port for 30-50 years to give the rUK the opportunity to relocate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

NIMAN wrote: »
    It might be painful for Ireland, but it will be good to get this Brexit thing sorted out at last.

In fairness it won't be as bad for us as it will be for those of a unionist persuasion. The last deal he had shot down was actually quite acceptable from a border perspective. I don't understand the gnashing of teeth - we're coming out of this relatively unscathed as the DUP no longer have a say in the matter.

If this goes the way predicted, I have a big concern Over the size of the majority. I can see it going two ways.

Johnson could now charge ahead and rush through Brexit because he believes he can do what he likes or,

He can get the WA over the line and do this right. take his time over getting the right future deal with the Eu and concentrate on fixing the UK because, he can do what he likes with potentially less interference of the ERG.

I don’t have much confidence in Johnson, a lot of people say he isn’t the fool he pretends to be. It could be that cometh the hour, cometh the man.

Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Wonder (as per brexit) how much border control and migration did play a part in all this.

You only have to look at urban crime levels (mostly ethnic & postcode gangs) and read a few stats on increases to see it's a very big, but unspoken issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭trashcan

Boris is a spoofer par excellence.
    the fact that the UK electorate appear to have been taken in by such really tells us just what a dire state they are in.

Indeed. Just heard someone on BBC talk about how the working classes felt let down by Labour. So their answer is to vote Tory ? If they really think that’s going to improve their lot I think they’re in for a rude awakening.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Peter stringer was indeed a great leader but maybe only recognized by a niche core of Munster rugby fans

Mod note:

Lets stay on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Left wing politics is in deep trouble. They just cannot accept that

-Welfare Class/Lower Working people don't like "Diversity"
    -They have no interest in identity politics
    -They are Socially Conservative
    -They couldnt give a fiddlers about Climate Change
    -They hate globalism

The traditional left has abandoned their heartland for media adoration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭quokula

The assembly was originally constituted in a way by Westminster so that a majority for the SNP couldn't be achieved, yet they've done that.

While I agree that Scotland is probably lost to Labour, I think it's more likely that the SNP would go into coalition with LAB than CON.

The technicalities of the Scottish divorce are not beyond the bounds of solving. The SNP have said that they would remove the nuclear forces from Faslane - however I suspect the SNP would concede that it would become a treaty port for 30-50 years to give the rUK the opportunity to relocate it.

I don’t see any circumstances under which Scotland could abide continuing membership of the UK after this. Independence is only a matter of time now, by whatever means necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,052 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Boris will be walking on air this morning when he gives a press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Just looking at the early declarations if the Brexit Party had pulled out then the torys would have gotten even more seats and the Brexit Party split the Tory vote in places.

-Lower class people don't like "Diversity"
    -They hate globalism

So the likes of Dennis skinner and Tony benn and their ilk have been left behind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Have people started blaming the Russians yet? Must be coming soon, yeah?
    I've heard the Russians are complaining about US interference in what's supposed to be their UK election.

Funny because there's a grain of truth there especially if you consider this as practice run for Trumps 2020 campaign. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

-They hate globalism

This is it. And the tories have moved 'to the left' considerably. They are centre to left on some issues. They can't balance a budget for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Alan Johnson absolutely eviscerates John Lansman (Momentum founder) on ITV a while ago

https://twitter.com/Haggis_UK/status/1205278729200492544

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

No evidence for this whatsoever.

Eh well it seems that everyone is shocked and looking at each other thinking

'' who voted for them'' '' eh not me''
    '' then who'' '' I dunno'''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

theguzman wrote: »
    Just looking at the early declarations if the Brexit Party had pulled out then the torys would have gotten even more seats and the Brexit Party split the Tory vote in places.

You cannot say that, it is just as likely that the voters who voted for the BP would not have voted for the Tories. They may have drifted back to Labour or not bother at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,645 ✭✭✭quokula

-They hate globalism

While there’s some truth in the fact that voters are woefully misinformed and uneducated in the UK, I don’t think it’s an option for modern centre left politicians like Corbyn to just pretend the climate crisis isn’t real or to embrace racism and homophobia in order to win votes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Alan Johnson absolutely eviscerates John Lansman (Momentum founder) on ITV a while ago

He's spot on, and most people could see it coming like a slow motion car crash.

Advertisement