Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tough times short term, but I think history will look back and see Boris as they great leader who fought and won the UK's sovereignty . UK will be stronger long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

But they won 58 seats in 2015.

56 in 2015

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Andrew Neil so good tonight, cut John Mc Donnell apart, but also asking all the tories how exactly do they plan to improve the lives of the working class voters who went to them? Not many stand out answers to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Ben Done

Not sure why I'm staying up - it's the same compulsion people have to watch a car crash, I guess.

Any chance of a rare smile, or is it all over now? - I'm thinking Raab being unseated or similar..

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭hometruths

ITV talking about the Russians, when the Russian card is played you know you are defeated.

Can't get ITV - what is their take on this? The Russians swung it for Boris Johnski?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

But they won 58 seats in 2015.
    They got 56, which was an incredible result. However I don't think independence was really on the horizon back then since it was just after the 2014 vote and of course Brexit hadn't happened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Peter mandleson has called Jeremy Corbyn a Marxist on BBC radio 4.

Corbyn's a Marxist according to an old Communist, what does any of this guff nowadays.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ben Done wrote: »
    Not sure why I'm staying up - it's the same compulsion people have to watch a car crash, I guess.

Any chance of a rare smile, or is it all over now? - I'm thinking Raab being unseated or similar..

Seemingly no hope of Raab losing his seat:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1205264220784336900

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

darem93 wrote: »
    They got 56, which was an incredible result. However I don't think independence was really on the horizon back then since it was just after the 2014 vote and of course Brexit hadn't happened yet.

Possibly! And perhaps opinions will change once the UK leaves the EU.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tony Blair was by turns in the media: Tony, Tony Blair, Blair and finally Bliar.

For those who are wondering about labour moving to the left consider this -
    Tony is the only Labour leader to have won a general election since 1979

And Tony Blair MP is an anagram of I'm Tory Plan B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Looks like Caroline Flint will lose her seat ...She voted with the Tories on Brexit in HoC but looks like that wont save her

Tony Blair old seat going blue too

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Andrew Neil so good tonight, cut John Mc Donnell apart, but also asking all the tories how exactly do they plan to improve the lives of the working class voters who went to them? Not many stand out answers to be fair.

He is good. Asks the awkward, but right questions and pushes for an answer. He has always been like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭dasdog

NIMAN wrote: »
    I wonder will we look back at this 2019 election as the one that started the breakup of the Union and the catalyst for a UI?

https://twitter.com/SiobhanFenton/status/1205283821719080961

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Seemingly no hope of Raab losing his seat:

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1205264220784336900

So happy to hear that really am.

I seen he was 8/11 to hold his seat earlier and I did think that was a cracking bet....a 23k cushion ffs. Decided against it . :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

New Alba (Scotindie) will come well before any UI (and make it easier to acheive).

Here's a question, when the UK leave, who's gonna pay for the next EU-6 members?
    Put it all on Germany's plate/bill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Shelga wrote: »
    Palpable tension in the Channel 4 studio with Stanley Johnson and the other panelists, after Johnson made a stupid comment about how fighter pilots shouldn't wear burqas :rolleyes:

I don't think it was a good idea to have him on. What might have been amusing in the case of a hung parliament or a slim Tory majority, is turning into him becoming the focal point of all of the studio's understandable anger.

I couldn't watch it. I was cringing every time Johnson snr opened his mouth.
    Am now watching BBC Scotland - tried BBC NI put that was like watching paint dry. One thing that caught my attention on BBC NI was of the NI parties only DUP was on the seats won banner - thought that was a bit strange.
    BBC Scot has all the parties on a revolving banner for want of a better description.

Ben Done wrote: »

I'm staying on BBCNI now tbh. Only thing worth watching is squirming Duppers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,044 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

For those who are wondering about labour moving to the left consider this -
    Tony is the only Labour leader to have won a general election since 1979

And Tony Blair MP is an anagram of I'm Tory Plan B

Britain (England) seems to be one of the most right wing countries in Europe - the landscape and media is totally dominated by the right, not by centrists or the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭Acosta

Corbyn was the ultimate wrong guy at the wrong place at the wrong time. Even though the media did a number on him I don't think it would have made a big difference anyway. With everything that's known about BJ that shows he's dangerous, nasty and not trustworthy, none of it seemed to matter. Depressing stuff, but the people have spoken. And a lot of them are going to get royally ****ed over by the tories because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

looks like Workington (man) will turn blue.
    Cummings will be pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

let's be honest here. the UK electorate had a choice between 2 political pygmies.
    in their wisdom/desperation they choose the one, who would make less of a mess
    Reminded me of this https://www.pidjin.net/2016/11/07/iq-test/

FPTP has a lot to answer for.

Despite the swing most seats are still safe seats where the local selection committee or central office has the only say on who will be the next MP.

Its only the marginals where votes matter :mad:

Here with STV and multiple seats we can easily reject parachuted in TD's

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I couldn't watch it. I was cringing every time Johnson snr opened his mouth.
    Am now watching BBC Scotland - tried BBC NI put that was like watching paint dry. One thing that caught my attention on BBC NI was of the NI parties only DUP was on the seats won banner - thought that was a bit strange.
    BBC Scot has all the parties on a revolving banner for want of a better description.

That's bugging me too.

Especially given the order is currently:
    LAB 9, CON 4, LDEM 0, DUP 0, SNP 0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    So much wrong with this I don't even know where to begin...
    How are both even comparable? Invasions with a few attempted genocides thrown in vs a seat at the largest trading bloc in human history that is entirely of our own making? What freedoms did we sign away? Ireland has never been more "free" than it is right now. You're not the great patriot you think you are. If we listen to the headbangers like you Ireland would be a poor miserable financial black hole on the edge of Europe isolated from the rest of the world. The great Sinn Fein delusion, and if we left the EU we might aswell be a proxy state to the UK following it's lead hoping for economic scraps. Hardly a great vision for the country with 4 million people competing against 7 billion others. I'd rather we be apart of nearly half a billion strong as part of the EU than remain a 4 million population minnow following the 50 million next door.

I believe each country should have total control of their issues without certain influences from europe.

The fact is the British people wanted out, and the people have the right to to get what they voted for in said referendum.

will it be a mistake, maybe, who knows, and regardless of whether you , I or others think, the government has an obligation to act upon the vote the people wanted, hence why the conservatives will win easy.

I would like for Ireland to leave, and yes, that might not be a popular decision, but an opinion I am entitled to air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Tough times short term, but I think history will look back and see Boris as they great leader who fought and won the UK's sovereignty . UK will be stronger long term.

I agree...all while we will be part of an EU that will eventually fall apart..... At the moment we have fools here who will be looking on laughing and pointing

at idiotic Britain for leaving but Britain will be stronger than us in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Ben Done

The primary emotion I have about it now is "You broke it, you own it" but on reflection ,the schadenfreude is misplaced.

Many parts of the UK are complete basket cases where your life chances are dismal.
    People are dying under a horrifically cruel social care system.
    Poverty means more food banks than McDonald's.

The only thing ordinary decent people can do in the face of 5 more years of Tory callousness is to organise locally, and bring back a sense of community.

My fear is that this thing that has taken over politics in the US and the UK is contagious.

Labour lose Workington.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

There’s stability with tonight’s results. It’s a mess from start to finish !

The unionists are finished here in Ireland thanks to there own people , dup for not taking advantage when they had it !

I think u can see Britain improving from here on , look at sterling!

Ireland will suffer but was always on the cards bar brexit was called off , u have the problem of Northern Ireland, the English don’t want it so there economic mess will be thrown over on us eventually!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Labour lose Workington.

The first of many

But what sort of a UI? With our fiscal budget having to be oked in the bundestag before it's put before our own parliament.. With a EU army coming fast down the road..with a language spoken only by a few on the periphery and hated by many unfortunately.... With the security of the state in the hands of an mi5 agent of the crown. In fairness this UI wouldn't be worth fighting for but I suppose we could stick on the red beards and leprechaun hats on Mar 17 every year and lep around like eegits and pretend we have a country

Oh my god? Where are you all crawling out of tonight?

I mean, the normally high standards have gone to pot this evening.

• Advertisement

some good news of a sort

Maybe the left in the US ( ie. by European standards the right , but not quite far right ) may learn from this.

But I think not. Democrat (oxymoron ?) infighting will mean months of shooting themselves in the feet. So not flawless victory - more like victory by default.

American Leftists Believed Corbyn’s Inevitable Victory Would Be Their Model

Doesn't bode well for England's future. Even if the plan was to allow Boris to dig a hole so deep that the tories are unelectable next time I doubt that Labour will be seen as fit to take their place. Lib dems or the "reform party" won't either.

Brexit could be a generational slow motion car crash.

Advertisement