Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Electorates have been wrong many times.

I don't know why it's so taboo to say that.

The electorate elected Hitler.

I'm not comparing Johnson to Hitler, but he uses many of the same techniques to get people to vote for him.

The spectre of right-wing nationalism in England now is horrifying.

It's wrong.

Exactly

Just like the Referendum in 2016 was the wrong choice for many reasons
    Democracy is very flawed and its getting worse becasue of mass media and the ability to sprout loads of fake news or target people with selected messages than mean very little when in power

Plus some of the problems of the world are so complicated that small countries cannot sort them out alone or in the short term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Not result i and probably several others here wanted, but been an incredibly dramatic night. One leader resigning, another unseated and a dep leader gone too. Obviuos lab was in trouble in the north but some of those swings have been truly staggering.

Hate to say it but dom cummings and his pals got this one right. Very simplistic stuff maybe, but very effective and too many mistakes made on other side. Gap should never have been this wide.

Just waiting for inevitable Dennis Skinner loss now before calling it a night. Unless I've already missed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just checked the results there after having been out all evening. Shocked and apalled with/ at UK. Disappointed at low Labour vote. Bad road ahead for them. That Tory cabinet is absolutely stacked with the most loathsome individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

NIMAN wrote: »
    Can they all hate their leader that much? If it was just that then they would have voted for the Lib Dems.

I think a lot of them just want Brexit done and if its a Tory to do it, then he got the votes.

Pure speculation but i would say its the harder left politics compared to the likes of the Blair/Brown years. The result is the party itself has changed to fit his vision and it hasn't resonated.

Like even with threats to the NHS they voted for Johnson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Just checked the results there after having been out all evening. Shocked and apalled with/ at UK. Disappointed at low Labour vote. Bad road ahead for them. That Tory cabinet is absolutely stacked with the most loathsome individuals.

There is no Tory cabinet yet. BJ will get rid of all the right wing nuts from the front bench and bring in a much different lot. He will go for an easier Brexit now that he dosnt need the right wing so much or the DUP. He is in the driving seat now and you must remember that he is not that hard a Brexiteer, he was using the "get brexit done" just to get power, that is his only goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

They deserve all that's coming to them down the line, societally.

We need to learn the lessons they didn't, because we are absolutely as vulnerable as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Swinson may have played her hand even worse than the DUP. She could have put Corbyn into power as a caretaker PM and endorsed a second referendum.

She refused to stomach the idea and insisted on a 'Revoke' position that was considered extreme even by remainers, and which she had to climb down from as the election got under way.

Johnson really couldn't have dreamt up a worse level of opposition.

They deserve all that's coming to them down the line, societally.

Guilt-free schadenfreude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Swinson may have played her hand even worse than the DUP. She could have put Corbyn into power as a caretaker PM and endorsed a second referendum.

She refused to stomach the idea and insisted on a 'Revoke' position that was considered extreme even by remainers, and which she had to climb down from as the election got under way.

Johnson really couldn't have dreamt up a worse level of opposition.

honestly her entire 'Swinson Centered' campaign - was a total farce

Along with REVOKE, the lib dems were destroyed

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I wouldn't like to be anyone with worries of fracking being implemented across the North of England within the next 5 years.
    Bet Oil companies are already printing feasibility studies and proposals for their lobbyists.

• Advertisement

Labour just lost Westminster by 150 votes ...so close

a remain area in the ref

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Just waiting for inevitable Dennis Skinner loss now before calling it a night. Unless I've already missed it!

It cant be that bad, can it?

Kensington fallen. Seems something profoundly sad to me about the home of grenfell voting tory. But thats where we are i guess.

It cant be that bad, can it?

Fraid so. Only a matter of how big the swing against him i would thing. Would love to be proved wrong but cant see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Dominic Grieve is gone:/

everyone saying this election is a backing of Brexit ...yes it but only in England ... not in Scotland,or NI or London

In a way not much has changed ..the same lines are still drawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Kensington fallen. Seems something profoundly sad to me about the home of grenfell voting tory. But thats where we are i guess.

Wow. That is a phenomenal result.

Think labour are going to scrape 200. Not much of a consolation but would be at least some kind of milestone if they reach it.

Dominic Grieve will be very disappointed

Hugh Grant might have been a liability

Wow. That is a phenomenal result.

Didnt see the figures. Reverse of hartlepool i would imagine, split vote on one side allowing the other through.

• Advertisement

Dominic Grieve is gone:/

very dissapointing to hear that -

Keir Stammer to me is the best bet for a new leader but Momentum will no likey

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

MPFGLB wrote: »

Starmer is gungho for the EU, will that bring back all these new blue working class seats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

liamtech wrote: »
    very dissapointing to hear that -

So many good MPs gone, like him, Anna Soubry, Sam Gymiah, and others.

Then there were others like Amber Rudd, Heidi Allen and Rory Stewart who didn't even run.

It makes me worry for the future of the UK that good people aren't even bothering to run, and those that do bother are being rejected by the electorate.

When I hear Ed Balls and George Osbourne talk reminds me of how I miss intelligent politicians in leadership roles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dme8AwpThAc

Going to agree with this gentleman - Labour needs to sort itself out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah expect the incredibly small but sadly the very vocal element of the left to batter him with identity politics..." white straight man" etc.:rolleyes:

Starmer is gungho for the EU, will that bring back all these new blue working class seats?

that is yesterdays news after BOJO sorts it

Stamer is bright and personable and middle of the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yeah expect the incredibly small but sadly the very vocal element of the left to batter him with identity politics..." white straight man" etc.:rolleyes:

What, like they did with Jeremy Corbyn?

Deary me, what a ridiculous take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

What, like they did with Jeremy Corbyn?

Deary me, what a ridiculous take.

I'm not saying it will be the majority far from it, but Starmer will get hit by the identity politics obsessives online especially if he faces Long Bailey.

Advertisement