Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,717 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

igCorcaigh wrote:
    I'm actually shocked by tonight's result. I really thought/hoped Labour's social programme would win over English nationalism. I was so wrong.

I'm not really shocked at all, corbyn has been dreadful for a long time now, he's an old school lefty, the left needs a new tool box, and fast, I think the left is actually dumpfounded with what do to about neoliberal ideology, since it to got into bed with it, the political left abandoned it's base long go, and they're letting it's politicans know, and rightly so. The political left urgently needs to do some sole searching, because the weirdos are having fun

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭Enzokk

vladmydad wrote: »
    5 years !!! It normally takes multiple election cycles to recover from such defeats. It’s 1983 all over.

Tories won 198 seats in 2005.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Enzokk wrote: »
    This is on Corbyn and his cult supporters. They hounded out the likes of Berger and it has come back to bite them. You can try to minimize antisemitism in Labour but it played a role with non-Labour members. That and the likes of Owen Jones who had his underwear in twist when the tactical voting recommendations came out. They were so focused on seeing Corbyn in no.10 they didn't see the pitfalls.

Swinson and Corbyn gave Johnson the election he wanted at the time he wanted. They had the numbers is Parliament for a caretaker government and they spaffed it up the wall.

There are so many seats where with cooperation it could have been different, but no use crying over spilt milk now. Labour should be able to come back from this stronger and ready to take over in 5 years, but only if they are honest with themselves. The attempts to get rid of Watson and the attacks on the Lib Dems when the enemy has always been the Tories will be some if the huge gaffs they made. I see the likes of Jones and Bastani has been quiet on Twitter. I know why, but unless they have an honest reflection on the country and their party, then it will not change.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2019/dec/13/i-want-momentum-gone-alan-johnson-slams-labour-left-video

Your dead right - i said it weeks ago, they could have pacted - and been pragmatic - look at Luciana Bergers constituency

30000 odd for Anti Brexit

Returns a Tory

If Labour had stood aside and endorsed lib dems - different picture altogether

The arrogance of Corbyn - to imagine he could get a majority - and now he wants to hang around, and endorse a successor, as though it is his right to influence the party which he himself has helped to CRIPPLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JikhuJjM1VM

Im disgusted because i loved Corbyn 4 years ago. I thought Blair and Brown and Milliband were just scaremongering when they said he would render Labour un-electable - thought they were just Blairites

But sadly no - they meant it literally - unelectable:mad:

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

vladmydad wrote: »
    5 years !!! It normally takes multiple election cycles to recover from such defeats. It’s 1983 all over.

If Corbyn hangs around, with momentum, 'guiding the party, and reflecting and plan for the future' - those were his words roughly- Then it is 1983 again

:mad: painful

Iv contented myself by watching the DUP crash and burn tonight - but its painful

liamtech wrote: »
    If Corbyn hangs around, with momentum, 'guiding the party, and reflecting and plan for the future' - those were his words roughly- Then it is 1983 again

:mad: painful

Iv contented myself by watching the DUP crash and burn tonight - but its painful

If there is one shining light for me, hopefully Brexit will be done by the next election. That has been a cross for Labour that they tried to balance when they could have been more resolute in taking a position. But that is hindsight talking.

Just to state I actually had no problem with their Brexit position at all, but I am not in the UK and not on the ground listening to voters.

• Advertisement

Enzokk wrote:
    If there is one shining light for me, hopefully Brexit will be done by the next election. That has been a cross for Labour that they tried to balance when they could have been more resolute in taking a position. But that is hindsight talking.

Brexit will never be truly done, we ll be dealing and talking about it for the rest of our lives

I see Caroline Flint lost her seat. She went against her party and voted what her constituents wanted and they still rejected her. So you wonder what the point was for her backing Brexit?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Brexit will never be truly done, we ll be dealing and talking about it for the rest of our lives

Sure, but I mean as a burden for Labour to carry. It will happen now due to Tory votes. If it is a success then Labour is in trouble for another generation whatever they decide to do in parliament in the next 5 years. But if it is still an issue or causes more economic hardship then Labour doesn't have defend it at the next election. They didn't vote for the referendum nor pass it in parliament.

Enzokk wrote:
    Sure, but I mean as a burden for Labour to carry. It will happen now due to Tory votes. If it is a success then Labour is in trouble for another generation whatever they decide to do in parliament in the next 5 years. But if it is still an issue or causes more economic hardship then Labour doesn't have defend it at the next election. They didn't vote for the referendum nor pass it in parliament.

That's a very good point, but labour really does need to do some deep sole searching, it needs to reconnect with its base, and quickly, they really shouldn't have ran with corbyn

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

"The person who crashes the car should not be the person who drives it to the garage for repair" - Labour MP's thinking on Corbyn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

How many votes bid arlene foster get?

How many votes did arlene foster get?

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    How many votes did arlene foster get?

8 seats (down 2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

lawred2 wrote: »
    I'm heartbroken

Chin up, that's democracy for you :)

Chin up, that's democracy for you

Hahaha, democracy, that's long gone from this planet

WhiteMan32 wrote: »
    8 seats (down 2)

Why doesn't she or the sinn fein leader run? How are they elected..

How many votes bid arlene foster get?

It is hard to make any sort of concrete conclusion from this for the DUP as they received a substantial percentage in NI, about 33%, but I think there would have been some voters not happy that SF would give them no representation at Westminster. I know, they run on that platform, but it is likely that Nationalists will have more seats than Unionists for the first time. 9 Combined for SF and the SDLP and 8 for the DUP with one Alliance.

Why doesn't she or the sinn fein leader run? How are they elected..

Arlene Foster & Michelle O'Neill (SF's Vice President) are currently elected to the Northern Ireland devolved assembly, of which they hope to get back up and running in January, three years after it collapsed.

Sinn Fein's leader Mary Lou McDonald is elected to the Irish Parliament in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Hahaha, democracy, that's long gone from this planet

What happened yesterday wanderer?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭darem93

Finally announced, SF win Fermanagh South Tyrone.

Now time for bed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

It's not out of the question that the Labour party may end up splitting in two. It's been at war with itself since the "New Labour" movement fizzled out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Doubters proved wrong. Landslide as predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

Nationalist vote in England ,Scotland and Northern Ireland ( 8 unionists /9 nationalists) seems to be the result.

Nigel Dodds held North Belfast for 18 years ,it might not resonate on John Bulls island ,it is a seismic result on this island.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/13/jo-swinson-lib-dems-on-course-for-grim-night

Jo Swinson has stood down as Lib Dem Leader, following the loss of her seat

Kind of inevitable - Revoke was a terrible move - and the campaign that put her right in the center - was outrageously arrogant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Berserker5

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/13/jo-swinson-lib-dems-on-course-for-grim-night

Kind of inevitable - Revoke was a terrible move - and the campaign that put her right in the center - was outrageously arrogant

You can argue either way

Imo revoke was in the British national interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

It's not out of the question that the Labour party may end up splitting in two. It's been at war with itself since the "New Labour" movement fizzled out.

With FPTP not going anywhere soon anyone who pushed for such a split would be ignorantly selfish, if labour split they would be handing the tories at least the next 2 elections ie 15 years on a plate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Ah, the Eamon Gilmore approach

Tories are like Zanu PF at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

holy s**t!!!!!

The independent group, along with all the defectee's lost their seats too - completely forgot about them

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/13/independent-ex-mps-who-left-labour-and-tories-fail-to-win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Swinsons parting speil she still believes in generosity working together with neighbours etc etc

Sure, her refusal to work together with neighbour Corbyn closed the door to any glimmer of a second ref so with that probably went reason in public backing,baffling and arrogant position.

Advertisement