Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Why is it his "we have more people in work than ever before" is never followed with the obvious "we also have more in-work poverty than ever before and more working people than ever before accessing food banks"?

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Bruce is not very good at this format. She is allowing Johnson to avoid questions by taking several questions at a time. He can then choose to avoid whatever he doesn't want to answer and she lets him get away with it.

She did that with all of them I thought. Certainly did with Sturgeon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Fair play to that chap making sure his question gets on.

Fair play that guy in the audience. Doing Bruce's job for her, she should shake his hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Aegir wrote: »
    Certainly did with Sturgeon

Sturgeon answered all the questions, which one did you think she did not answer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Bruce allowed Johnson waffle and avoid the Russia question AGAIN.

Yer man in the audience came back in and asked the question, Johnson waffled about Brexit.

There's enough here so far though to call this car crash though.

He's SO bad.

Decending into farce because Bruce does not hold him to account

Sturgeon answered all the questions, which one did you think she did not answer?

Bruce took several questions at once was my point.

In fairness, she did try to dodge the question about a confirmatory referendum on any deal an independent Scotland negotiated, but did confirm that she would not give one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Boris has lost tonight - in a massive way

Which answers why he wont take part in the Channel4 debate on Sunday

Winners tonight for me - Sturgeon and Corbyn - if you had to push me for one i would have to say Sturgeon. She just edged it in my view

Damaged - Swinson - shockingly inarticulate and not at all convincing

Complete Loss - Johnson - im typing this at 8:48 - and he is losing 6-0 in football terms - a laughing stock

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Corbyn is the only honest leader of these 4 Parties on show tonight. Its just a pity the sheep parrot the tabloid garbage that try and blacken his good name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,041 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

liamtech wrote: »
    Boris has lost tonight - in a massive way

Which answers why he wont take part in the Channel4 debate on Sunday

Winners tonight for me - Sturgeon and Corbyn - if you had to push me for one i would have to say Sturgeon. She just edged it in my view

Damaged - Swinson - shockingly inarticulate and not at all convincing

Complete Loss - Johnson - im typing this at 8:48 - and he is losing 6-0 in football terms - a laughing stock

Agree on all those - Corbyn & Sturgeon excellent, Swinson lightweight / weak, Johnson waffling and bumbling

Bruce took several questions at once was my point.

That makes sense now - all the others answered theirs (from what I can remember) and I would expect the chair to keep them to it. Bruce is allowing Johnson to ramble (it is difficult to pin him down)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I actually thought Johnson would be good at this but it's fairly painful to watch. I thought he'd ignore the questions but fill the room with rhetoric and bluster until his time was up.

The hospitals thing is so emblematic of the shambles that johnson is. In his first sentence he mentions the figure 20. Then its 6, then it's 40. Is it building or upgrading Are they actually new at all or just renovating existing sites? Talks about clarity in relation to other parties, but everything he says is just a jumble of figures, vague ambitions and total sheer bluster.

Edit: then he says "40 new hospitals and 20 upgrades." That's 60, isn't it? Dont believe a word of it, a single word.

I actually thought Johnson would be good at this but it's fairly painful to watch. I thought he'd ignore the questions but fill the room with rhetoric and bluster until his time was up.

Audience hammering home the point about years of Tory austerity and how they are completely untrustworthy as a party

If Johnson won't debate, these things should get pulled

This is what I said a while ago... I thought the format actually worked tonight

That makes sense now - all the others answered theirs (from what I can remember) and I would expect the chair to keep them to it. Bruce is allowing Johnson to ramble (it is difficult to pin him down)

Different ball game for Johnson though. The other three are answering questions on what they would do, so are effectively just backing up their own manifesto. Johnson is answering questions on what has happened and the past performance of the government.

Johnson is answering questions on what has happened and the past performance of the government.

Swinson got a kicking on previous preformance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

not sure why anyone would be surprised by Johnson's poor turn. He is not a good speaker in a formal setting and when he has to field incoming questions. He is good when he has the room with him and no pressure to be accurate or concise. Basically you'd hire him for an after dinner gig but nothing else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Swinson got a kicking on previous preformance

She is not a leader, more like a lead balloon.

• Advertisement

BBC interviewer on BBC News channel misrepresenting what Sturgeon said tonight. Sturgeon clearly siad she is not looking for a coalition, she will be looking to support Labour on some policies in return for the legal ability for the Scottish Parliament to hold an independence referendum

Edit - got the BBC interviewer name wrong

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Why is it his "we have more people in work than ever before" is never followed with the obvious "we also have more in-work poverty than ever before and more working people than ever before accessing food banks"?
    Population has gone up about 5% since the Conservatives came to power.

So more workers. But more unemployed.

And less police.

Even if they can get the 20,000 they'll still be a few hundred less than before. And that's not counting the population growth to now. Or the additional growth until the new plod start plodding.

Iain Watson on BBC News channel misrepresenting what Sturgeon said tonight. Sturgeon clearly siad she is not looking for a coalition, she will be looking to support Labour on some policies in return for the legal ability for the Scottish Parliament to hold an independence referendum

Yes, she explicitly said she didn't want to be in a coalition government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Tory ministers Raab and Schapps squaring up to each other here after debate, live on tv. Most unusual.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1197990184815669248

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Tory ministers Raab and Schapps squaring up to each other here after debate, live on tv. Most unusual.

Its Andy Mc Donald of Labour is it not?

Each side will spin it in their favor, but that just looks like 2 aggressive blokes squaring up and doing **** all. Probably for the best for Mc Donald, Raab is a tank tbf. (by politician standards)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭hometruths

Always get the impression Dominic Raab is only a cold latte away from an assault charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,422 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

'Shadow' would mean he is Labour, would it not?

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Its Andy Mc Donald of Labour is it not?

Each side will spin it in their favor, but that just looks like 2 aggressive blokes squaring up and doing **** all. Probably for the best for Mc Donald, Raab is a tank tbf. (by politician standards)

McDonald usually comes across as a pretty blunt character to be fair. Didnt see interview but looks as if he allowed himself to get wound up by some typical raab attacks on labour. Dont blame him in a way but its not a good look for any politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

It had its faults but on balance it was the best debate so far. A lot of that was down to the audience who weren't willing to suffer fools gladly.

Swinson was not only inarticulate but also robotic to boot. Her game is up. Johnson was his usual blundering self.

For all the criticism of Corbyn he has consistently been human in all these debates. His policies may not garner broad appeal but they are consistent with his broad principles. The audience bought in to that I felt.

Sturgeon is a polished performer but she is campaigning on a narrow agenda. Her message plays well to a Scottish audience but this is a UK election. Despite that I think she acquitted herself adequately. A particular power move was inviting that audience member who spoke about drug addiction to contact her afterwards for input on policy going forward. This is the type of empathy which is evident in the SNP and Labour pitches so far.

The Conservatives and LD's by comparison are just sounding like career politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It will be interesting to see if Lib Dem voters switch to Labour or Tory in the coming days.

Advertisement