Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

ignorance is not a virtue
    Christ
    You do know your wasting your time. Kimsang/veritas libertas/Eskimohunt is not here for a discussion.
    liamtech wrote: »
    this

Cut this out please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Please do not just paste links here. Post deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I find his language choice provocative, humorous and engaging.

You read the same language and consider Johnson a raging sexist, misogynistic, homophobe who hates black people and perhaps every other minority.

That's just an irreconcilable difference between us. You see malice where I see wit, humour and a flexible use of the English language in his descriptions.

So what, particularly, do you find so offensive about Corbyn? Surely he simply falls into the same sphere as Johnson.

If any language can be waved away based on context being funny, then surely that has to carry over for everyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000bt3g

BBC WALES DEBATE - Tonight 8pm for 1 hour

Ok so this debate is on tonight on BBC 1 Wales with the following Participants

David Davies - Tory
    Nia Griffith - Labour
    Jane Dodds - Lib Dem
    Liz Saville Roberts - PLaid
    James Wells - The Brexit Party

How to watch:

So there are 2 perhaps 3 methods for watching this - EDIT -4th Option: apparently on BBC NEWS station - listed on the satellite Variation but cannot confirm for other platforms - perhaps someone else can confirm that its the same feed!

[1] Via Satellite

If like me you have a Free To Air Satellite Setup, you can simply tune to BBC 1 Wales, adding the station if it is not already Present (details below)

If you are using Sky as your TV provider, you can add this station manually. Just so we are clear this is entirely legitimate, and legal. BBC Wales, like BBC NI and BBC Scotland, are broadcast in the clear, that is unencrypted and free to watch. As to adding it, i believe the method is to manually add the station to your Sky Boxes 'Other Channels' menu. This differs depending on which model of Sky DigiBox but it should be possible to do this on any Box. It may be necessary to google instructions on how to do so. when completed, BBC 1 WALES will not appear in your standard SKY program guide; it usually ends up relegated to a secondary menu - often called 'other channels' or something of the sort

There is possibility that it is already added further down the list of channels on some sky boxes - as a regional variation. not having a sky box for 10 years i cannot confirm this! but if it needs to be added here are the appropriate settings

BBC ONE WALES SD
    Frequency: 10788
    Polarization: V (vertical)
    Symbol Rate: 22000
    FEC (Forward Error Correction): 5/6

BBC ONE WALES HD
    Frequency: 11024
    Polarization: H (Horizontal)
    Symbol Rate: 23000
    FEC (Forward Error Correction): 3/4

Incidentally, this article from a number of years back seems to highlight the Step by Step for Most sky boxes

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/a-step-by-step-guide-of-how-to-tune-bbc-wales-1.2310134

The frequency settings may be out of date but the instructions seem sound - certainly as i remember it! so if you can use these instructions with the frequency details above - you should be fine!

Any problems message me and i can attempt to assist you - or perhaps reply here, within reason - we dont want to go off topic

EDIT - if you cannot get the HD variant, please try the SD (standard Def) - friend just pointed out that many sky boxes have issues adding HD channels manually

[2] Internet

As of now (5:55pm) i cannot find a live Youtube stream which seems to suggest that this debate may not be streamed on YT - it might only be available on BBC IPLAYER - access to which is difficult to say the least

If i find any legitimate stream i will post it ASAP - so that anyone wishing to watch can join the debate

Obviously if anyone else has success please let us know!

[3] Terrestrial

For some lucky viewers, located on the east coast. You may already be receiving BBC 1 Wales via the over spill from Wales itself, via Free To Air Freeview DVB-T. This is not something i have ever achieved, and to my knowledge it is only ever effective near the coast, to the south east of ireland. Il put it this way, if you are in the zone of Over-spill, you probably already know it

Anyway i will keep you updated, and feel free to contact me directly or reply here, within reason :)

EDIT 6:16PM - BBC NEWS HD is listing that it is showing the Welsh Election debate live at 8pm! probably the simplest solution, which kinda renders all the above useless! But i cant confirm whether this will be shown on all platforms - UPC/Virgin for example - may be a different feed for BBC News

On the debate itself - given how volatile things have been today RE antisemitism, Islamophobia, Homophobia, and arguments AGAINST coalitions - this could be a VERY interesting debate! I will definitely be watching

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

liamtech wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000bt3g

BBC WALES DEBATE - Tonight 8pm for 1 hour

Ok so this debate is on tonight on BBC 1 Wales with the following Participants

David Davies - Tory
    Nia Griffith - Labour
    Jane Dodds - Lib Dem
    Liz Saville Roberts - PLaid
    James Wells - The Brexit Party

How to watch:

So there are 2 perhaps 3 methods for watching this

[1] Via Satellite

If like me you have a Free To Air Satellite Setup, you can simply tune to BBC 1 Wales, adding the station if it is not already Present (details below)

If you are using Sky as your TV provider, you can add this station manually. Just so we are clear this is entirely legitimate, and legal. BBC Wales, like BBC NI and BBC Scotland, are broadcast in the clear, that is unencrypted and free to watch. As to adding it, i believe the method is to manually add the station to your Sky Boxes 'Other Channels' menu. This differs depending on which model of Sky DigiBox but it should be possible to do this on any Box. It may be necessary to google instructions on how to do so. when completed, BBC 1 WALES will not appear in your standard SKY program guide; it usually ends up relegated to a secondary menu - often called 'other channels' or something of the sort

There is possibility that it is already added further down the list of channels on some sky boxes - as a regional variation. not having a sky box for 10 years i cannot confirm this! but if it needs to be added here are the appropriate settings

BBC ONE WALES SD
    Frequency: 10788
    Polarization: V (vertical)
    Symbol Rate: 22000
    FEC (Forward Error Correction): 5/6

BBC ONE WALES HD
    Frequency: 11024
    Polarization: H (Horizontal)
    Symbol Rate: 23000
    FEC (Forward Error Correction): 3/4

Incidentally, this article from a number of years back seems to highlight the Step by Step for Most sky boxes

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/international/a-step-by-step-guide-of-how-to-tune-bbc-wales-1.2310134

The frequency settings may be out of date but the instructions seem sound - certainly as i remember it! so if you can use these instructions with the frequency details above - you should be fine!

Any problems message me and i can attempt to assist you - or perhaps reply here, within reason - we dont want to go off topic

[2] Internet

As of now (5:55pm) i cannot find a live Youtube stream which seems to suggest that this debate may not be streamed on YT - it might only be available on BBC IPLAYER - access to which is difficult to say the least

If i find any legitimate stream i will post it ASAP - so that anyone wishing to watch can join the debate

Obviously if anyone else has success please let us know!

[3] Terrestrial

For some lucky viewers, located on the east coast. You may already be receiving BBC 1 Wales via the over spill from Wales itself, via Free To Air Freeview DVB-T. This is not something i have ever achieved, and to my knowledge it is only ever effective near the coast, to the south east of ireland. Il put it this way, if you are in the zone of Over-spill, you probably already know it

Anyway i will keep you updated, and feel free to contact me directly or reply here, within reason :)

On the debate itself - given how volatile things have been today RE antisemitism, Islamophobia, Homophobia, and arguments AGAINST coalitions - this could be a VERY interesting debate! I will definitely be watching

Here you go, this link will work :

https://easyview.eu/watch.php?stream=bbc-one-wales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,465 ✭✭✭AllForIt

So today Dawn Butler decides to launch an attack on Boris for his letterbox comments. On the same say day a judge bans gangs of Muslims protesting outside schools across the country and disrupting classes and spreading false information about the lessons in question. Many of them wearing the full veil. Bad timing Dawn. I think I know which of these 2 things the general British public will gauge to be the most serious come December 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Jesus Christ

Very prominent Tories openly mocking black speech mannerisms now. I honestly thought this had to be fake when I saw it, it is staggering that there is such tone deafness, they have obviously given up hope of getting any of the black community to vote for them and are openly dog whistling to the "Get 'Em Out" brigade.

EKTcgCkXYAIa74D?format=png&name=small

Jeremy Corbyn facing Andrew Neil tonight, in around 40 minutes.

I think Mr Neil skewered Nicola Sturgeon last night on a number of important areas and highlighted some glaring inconsistencies with her position re: Brexit and Scottish Independence, particularly around currency and membership conditions of joining the EU post-Brexit.

It'll be interesting to see how Corbyn holds up.

If anyone has a BBC1 live stream link, do pass it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Jesus Christ

Very prominent Tories openly mocking black speech mannerisms now. I honestly thought this had to be fake when I saw it, it is staggering that there is such tone deafness, they have obviously given up hope of getting any of the black community to vote for them and are openly dog whistling to the "Get 'Em Out" brigade.

EKTcgCkXYAIa74D?format=png&name=small

That's beyond the pale

That's beyond the pale

The whole situation has become surreal - literally - but thats what you get when Bojo is allowed to speak as he does, unapologetic and hardly challenged - it will be interesting to see if this gets mentioned on the news

Sky's fact check just covered the Antisemitism labour piece - seems there are factual inconsistencies in what has been argued

i honestly dont know anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Jeremy Corbyn facing Andrew Neil tonight, in around 40 minutes.

I think Mr Neil skewered Nicola Sturgeon last night on a number of important areas and highlighted some glaring inconsistencies with her position re: Brexit and Scottish Independence, particularly around currency and membership conditions of joining the EU post-Brexit.

The BBC has admitted that Neil was wrong in his assertions during the interview

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/50552295

Ah I wasn't aware of that. I retract my earlier comment.

Labour's spending policies are getting more and more ridiculous.
    Labour was accused of “driving a coach and horses” through its fiscal rules with its £58 billion pledge to compensate women pensioners, as it unveiled an assault on private landlords that could skew the housing market.

Paul Johnson, director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS), said the scheme to compensate women left out of pocket by the rise in the state pension age would lead to "another £12 billion of borrowing every year for the next five years", on top of what Labour has already promised to spend.

His comments came after Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell confirmed that the £58billion price tag for the policy did not appear in Labour’s "fully costed" election manifesto but would be covered by extra borrowing.

That's now 58 billion on top of the 80 billion worth of spending in their manifesto - 138 billion pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

That's now 58 billion on top of the 80 billion worth of spending in their manifesto - 138 billion pounds.

Says a poster who supports a party that states retaining 19,000 nurses will mean they have an extra 50,000 nurses in 10 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/23/labour-fifty-eight-billion-pound-pledge-women-pension-age-trap

Above article from a different less biased source

Do you not think that these ladies, who were clearly caught in a trap and given insufficient notice on changes to pensionable ages, deserve to be compensated?

Its the equivalent of Free 3rd Level education - and then when a large amount of students have completed years 1-3 - the Gvt suddenly change their tune saying 'Sorry - we have decided to bring back third Level Fees; so you have to pay for your final year'

At a basic level it is a breach of contract with said ladies

Well we'll see the fact checking after BJ this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

So about the same as the cost of Brexit to the economy over three or four years. You think that's a reasonable price to pay for cutting yourself off from your major trading partner, so hardly worth getting worked up over.

Jeremy is off to a good start - asks to sit down and talk to the Rabbi

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Says a poster who supports a party that states retaining 19,000 nurses will mean they have an extra 50,000 nurses in 10 years.

Personally, I agree with you here.

I think the Tory's policy on 50,000 nurses is a blatant and very stupid lie.

They should have said "at least 30,000 more nurses".

Well watching this interview, this is how the rest of the campaign is gonna go so.

Ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Corbyn refusing to apologise to the Jewish community for what is going on in the Labour Party re: anti-Semitism.

Shameful.

On a wider note, he's struggling.

Corbyn refusing to apologise to the Jewish community for what is going on in the Labour Party re: anti-Semitism.

Shameful.

Be nice if Andrew let him speak though.

Be nice if Andrew let him speak though.

It would be nice if Corbyn directly answered the questions - maybe interruptions wouldn't be needed.

It's quite clear to see that he's exhausted, drained, and is refusing to answer questions directly.

It would be nice if Corbyn directly answered the questions.

If that's the case you'd probably love the bluster though, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Have not seen this interview but from watching Neil over the last few years, he bulldozes his questions / views to the interviewee. Last night, he had a 41 second monologue at Sturgeon with very little time to respond

If that's the case you'd probably love the bluster though, no?

Do you approve of Corbyn not answering the questions then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Shameful.

Can someone send me a link to a primer or account of the anti-Semitism? Also why is this a bigger issue than islamophobia in the Torys? I've been following mates Jacob on Twitter so have a decent handle on that.

Shameful.

He was asked to apologize for the fact that British Jews think he is antisemitic. Why would he do that? Apologize for what people are accusing him of?

If speaking of the party; Why would he apologize for rooting out racism and antisemitism?

Weak on brexit - should have been clearer, i will grant you that, but weakened significantly, not by his policy, but by Andrew Neil repeatedly interrupting him.

FYI i am all for hard harsh interviews - i just wonder will he do the same to Boris Johnson

IN GOOD NEWS!

We clarified that, the poor man from last weeks question time is earning over 80K, and that is the Top 5%!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/bbc-question-time-man-who-20935155

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Don't think Corbyn is doing well here. Struggling worse than Sturgeon did.

• Advertisement

Don't think Corbyn is doing well here. Struggling worse than Sturgeon did.

Corbyn has refused to answer 90% of questions.

If this were Johnson, there would be uproar on this thread.

Advertisement