Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election December, 2019 (U.K.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭liamtech

Corbyn has refused to answer 90% of questions.

If this were Johnson, there would be uproar on this thread.

When this is Johnson, there will be uproar on this thread

and rightly so

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

My goodness, Corbyn got skewered there.

Johnson better be more prepared than the last time he faced questioning from Neil or he will face a similar situation. Can see Swinson having a very tough time as well.

Not a fan of Neil as a person but he is a formidable interviewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Johnson better be more prepared than the last time he faced questioning from Neil or he will face a similar situation. Can see Swinson having a very tough time as well.

Boris will be destroyed by Neil. He was able to bluff his way around Bruce the other night, but he won't v Neil. Some cynics might suggest Neil will go easier as obviously he leans to the right,,,,tell that to May who was tore apart in 2017 by him.

Swinson will also bomb.

Yea he GRILLS them for sure - although he is still weaker than the god of all interviewers

The Pax - Jeremy Paxman

Mark Carruthers is fantastic too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Actually, I think he bullys his way through interviews and hits the interviewee with loads of question trying to get some of them to stick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

No, that wasnt great for corbyn, a tough watch all the way through. Never expected it to be any other way and swinson and johnson will get it just as bad too.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Boris will be destroyed by Neil. He was able to bluff his way around Bruce the other night, but he won't v Neil. Some cynics might suggest Neil will go easier as obviously he leans to the right,,,,tell that to May who was tore apart in 2017 by him.

Swinson will also bomb.

Remember the gatt article 24 question from the tory leadership contest? Neil was the only one to land a blow on johnson that whole saga, he'll destroy him again, i have little doubt about that.

In court today, Liberal Democrats gets a leaflet banned. I think the SNP should re-do the leaflet and put the quote from the QC. I wonder will Neil raise this or is there enough in his armoury to 'interrogate' Swinson?

https://twitter.com/jamesdoleman/status/1199401286648631296

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

No, that wasnt great for corbyn, a tough watch all the way through. Never expected it to be any other way and swinson and johnson will get it just as bad too.

Corbyn was extremely defensive. It shows how well Sturgeon did last night that she was able to stand up to his aggressive questioning.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/26/michael-heseltine-calls-on-voters-to-back-lib-dems

Anyone watching Michael Heseltine on Sky News

Fantastic interview - he makes so much sense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Letwin_Larry

tbh i think you could fetch Tom or Steve from down The Nag's Head and they would have little trouble in exposing any of them.
    Certainly the most inept bunch of political 'er Leaders i've seen in my lifetime.

by nature i've a pretty optimistic disposition, but it's darned tough to be anything other than pessimistic about the future if this is the brightest & the best ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

So goves racist tweet and Hannah’s racist reply have backfired. Spectacularly

https://twitter.com/mikeh143/status/1199414178227863553?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

So goves racist tweet and Hannah’s racist reply have backfired. Spectacularly

https://twitter.com/mikeh143/status/1199414178227863553?s=21

If the press did its job it would be a huge scandal.

Sadly not even The Guardian has it mentioned on its front page.

I think a lot of that is down to the people who make up the UK press - there are few ethnic minority voices.

This is the unconscious bias of race in terms of story selection in action.

It was uncomfortable viewing.

Asked if he would apologise to the Jewish community? Refused to answer.

Asked about how he would fund spending pledges? Refused to answer.

Asked about how he would campaign in a 2nd vote? Refused to answer.

No answers - just fluffy talk about "equality" and "fairness".

In an interview, I want questions answered directly - not pushed aside with cheap references to equality and fairness.

Corbyn spectacularly failed here.
    Strazdas wrote: »
    Corbyn was extremely defensive. It shows how well Sturgeon did last night that she was able to stand up to his aggressive questioning.

True, Sturgeon looks comfortable and confident in her responses. Corbyn is defensive and refuses to answer questions directly.

People can blame Neil for Corbyn's mistakes all they wish. Any objective observer of that interview would come out with a result of a D grade for Corbyn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Corbyn got a right grilling from Neil.

He should have apologised for proven cases of anti-Semitism within the party and that is what the media are going to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Be fairly, its hardly some big demonstration of race hate - seems more like a minor embarrassment if that, hardly anything Gove hasn't already done before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjbiSUrGFV8

Fantastic Interview with Lord Heseltine - in which he eloquently argues in favor of remaining - and backs the Lib Dems

BTW the Welsh debate is currently underway - anyone watching?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Be fairly, its hardly some big demonstration of race hate - seems more like a minor embarrassment if that, hardly anything Gove hasn't already done before.

That’s the point. The message here is **** up black people. We know better than you. Even about your own culture.

And they have been laying this groundwork. You’re right. Doesn’t make it right though. Becomes so normalized it gets ignored.

You’d wonder why that might be.

Brits turning into the Nazis they’re so proud of their delusional belief they defeated them.

liamtech wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjbiSUrGFV8

Fantastic Interview with Lord Heseltine - in which he eloquently argues in favor of remaining - and backs the Lib Dems

BTW the Welsh debate is currently underway - anyone watching?

...in a video in which he condemns Jeremy Corbyn and his ludicrous economics, and claims that he is against Liberal Democrat policy to revoke.

He is a "second referendumer". (I'm shocked you even refer to him as "Lord" Heseltine!)

And as Piers - a Remainer - correctly points out, it's undemocratic not to implement the result of the first referendum.

Speaking of Piers, he has provided some acute conclusions into Andrew Neil's seismic annihilation of Jeremy Corbyn:

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1199410709144252416

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1199405977537273856

The ever-astute Brendan O'Neill delivered the following damning conclusion of tonight's obliteration of Mr Corbyn:
    Corbyn is coming across terribly in this Andrew Neil interview. Impersonal, disengaged, unprincipled, bored and irritable. Economically illiterate and cavalier about democracy. And he is essentially rolling his eyes over those pesky 80 per cent of Jews who think he is anti-Semitic. Every time he is asked about anti-Semitism he mentions Islamophobia. He can’t believe someone is asking him about Jews when all he wants to talk about is Muslims. Who would vote for this man?

And he's right, too.

Pretty much the same conclusion I, and most other people, have come to.

This interview signals the beginning of the political end of Jeremy Corbyn.

• Advertisement

And as Piers - a Remainer - correctly points out, it's undemocratic not to implement the result of the first referendum.

The result of the first referendum was implemented. In fact the WA was pulled from parliament by Johnson so please no lectures on what is undemocratic within the UK

That’s the point. The message here is **** up black people. We know better than you. Even about your own culture.

And they have been laying this groundwork. You’re right. Doesn’t make it right though. Becomes so normalized it gets ignored.

You’d wonder why that might be.

Brits turning into the Nazis they’re so proud of their delusional belief they defeated them.

Steady on, he tweeted the lyrics of a song which was written by a person critical of his political positions. And emphasis on tweet, I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that he was speaking this with some kind of caricature voice going on.

And I can't really get on board with the Nazi line either, if there's one theme that appears to come through with Brexit its not race-hate its stupidity - not that the two are exclusive mind.

...in a video in which he condemns Jeremy Corbyn and his ludicrous economics, and claims that he is against Liberal Democrat policy to revoke.

He is a "second referendumer".

Speaking of Piers, he has provided some acute conclusions into Andrew Neil's seismic annihilation of Jeremy Corbyn:

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1199410709144252416

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1199405977537273856

Eskimo, im not going to indulge in another argument with you - i am a remainer - i would support ANY party that would endorse remain

I have also criticized Corbyn rather extensively for not being more co-operative with other Anti Brexit Parties - STOPPING brexit is more important as an issue for me - than the election itself - I back Corbyn, as a lefty, and despite his refusal to co-operate - and because he is better than Boris

Anyway - Moving on

Are you, or is anyone watching the Welsh Debate?

The ever-astute Brendan O'Neill .

The ever-astute O'Neill who declared on national TV that would encourage rioting on the streets of Britain? that astute one?

The ever-astute O'Neill who declared on national TV that would encourage rioting on the streets of Britain? that astute one?

Brendan O'Neill is a bit of a provocateur; in this regard, it was ill-judged of him to make that comment.

That somewhat ill-judged comment doesn't dismiss or undermine all his political analysis of issues, though.

In terms of the Corbyn annihilation interview, he is spot on.

I find Brendan O'Neill has the wonderful charm of being mistaken for James O'Brien for the first few moments in my mind when I hear his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,132 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Steady on, he tweeted the lyrics of a song which was written by a person critical of his political positions. And emphasis on tweet, I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that he was speaking this with some kind of caricature voice going on.

And I can't really get on board with the Nazi line either, if there's one theme that appears to come through with Brexit its not race-hate its stupidity - not that the two are exclusive mind.

It was an incredibly moment of cringe from a really geeky bloke rather than sending secret signals to racists. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be mocked for it, but yeah racism is a reach .

Just on the Andrew Neil interviews, has Johnson ran away from it?

On another set of interviews, here is Ciarn Jenkins of Channel 4 challenging Johnson about his failure to attend the Climate Emergency debate

https://twitter.com/C4Ciaran/status/1199356729328373760

On another set of interviews, here is Ciarn Jenkins of Channel 4 challenging Johnson about his failure to attend the Climate Emergency debate

Why would Prime Minister Johnson attend a debate on a single issue that is not directly involved with the General Election?

If Channel 4 were holding a GE debate with all leaders, I think it would be advisable for Johnson to take part.

In this case, I don't.

As a proponent of green politics, even I wouldn't attend the debate in the context of a General Election. It would be equally silly to hold a debate on "austerity" and another debate on "Brexit".

This is a General Election. Let's debate issues in that context.

• Advertisement

Corbyn got a right grilling from Neil.

He should have apologised for proven cases of anti-Semitism within the party and that is what the media are going to focus on.

I agree with you. I think it's hard because there is little doubt the whole thing is being used by many to undermine his election campaign, but he could and i think should have ceded more ground to those accusing him, come across more humble and contrite about it, whether he himself thinks it's unfair or not. Maybe he's too stubborn himself, but not sure of advice he's getting on it either.

Advertisement